Windows 8 Parallels 9 - Reinstall of Windows 8

art37

I run Windows 8.1 as a Parallels virtual machine. Earlier this week - after an IMac hard drive crash - I had to re-install Windows. I have both Windows XP pro and a Windows 8 upgrade disk. My question is this. If I have to do this again, is there a workaround that will enable me to install Windows 8 without having to go through the pain of installing Windows 8 first?

I assume your talking about going from 8 to 8.1? If that is correct, then no with out having a 8.1 key.

As an alternative, you couuld make a system image after your clean install of 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 and use that clean install image of 8.1 to restore your system. It sure beats going the long way around of installing 8 and then turn right around and upgrade it to 8.1 as far as time and labor.

Sorry, I may have confused you. Windows 8 to 8.1 via the Store is not the issue. As I have an upg version of Windows 8, it will install on a clean drive but it will not activate as it doesn't see a previous version of Windows. Consequently, I have had to upgrade over XP. As I am the legal owner of XP and Windows 8, I was looking for some form of workaround should I have to reload Windows 8 again in the future; e.g., on a new Mac.

Ahh....there in-lies the issue. With an upgrade OS, which is generally cheaper then the full retail or OEM version, it's limited in how you can use it. It will only activate if there is a legitimate OS previously installed. Trying to clean install an upgrade version of an OS, you will get that error message about a previous version of windows every time.

This is the biggest reason why I never go with the upgrade version of an OS. I just bite the bullet and buy a full copy and a retail copy at that. This way I can transfer that copy of windows to any PC/laptop I want. Where as the OEM version is tied to the PC/laptop forever....it can't be transferred.

Thanks - I thought as much. The UPG was cheap at the time and it seemed a bargain as I only use Windows for legacy software. Best I hang on to my Windows XP disk then. That said, it does seem daft that the end user has to keep jumping through the same convoluted set of hoops.

MS doesn't make it easy that's for sure. The image restore option would be your best bet if a problem did arise and needed to reinstalled. I use Aoemi and Acronis for my image backups....and it sure beats 6-8 hours or reinstalling the OS and updating it.

Ahh....there in-lies the issue. With an upgrade OS, which is generally cheaper then the full retail or OEM version, it's limited in how you can use it. It will only activate if there is a legitimate OS previously installed. Trying to clean install an upgrade version of an OS, you will get that error message about a previous version of windows every time. ...
There is a way around that issue, see here: http://lifehacker.com/5984278/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-with-an-upgrade-disc

Back
Top Bottom