Partition Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Ekkoe, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Ekkoe

Ekkoe New Member

Hi,

I had Spyware on my XP, so I made a partition of my spare 10gbs, installed Win7, removed XP and all was good.

But then, upgrades and such expanded my Win7 to >9gb, so I wanted to increase the partition size.

Couldn't.

I go to the regular partition screen, I have 9,7gb of unused space which I can use to expand my other drive, but not the 10gb one with Win7 on it.

I have no idea what kind of information you might require for this problem, so feel free to ask away (but let's not get too personal).

Cheers,

Peter

2. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I'm surprised it installed on a partition that small. My feeling is that you should allow at least 50 gig for Windows 7 partition and installed software so there is sufficient free disk space if needed and store data on a separate partition or HD.
    Joe

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

It is a little hard to follow what you are saying. You will not be able to expand a partition toward the beginning of the drive. So, if your XP partition was first, you cannot expand the Win 7 partition into that space.

If that is your situation, post back and a snipit of your Disk Management picture attached would help.

4. Ekkoe

Ekkoe New Member

If I understand you correctly, then I think that is the situation. I parted my XP / other files into a D drive, then installed Win7 on a C drive, which was new.

Is there a way around it? It seems so random, not being able to add to that disc because the other one was first. I have free space, after all...

EDIT: Forgot the image :p Sorry it's in dutch, hope it's understandable.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/Ekkoe/DiscConfig.png

#4 Ekkoe, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. reghakr

reghakr Excellent Member

You need a bout 60GB for Windows 7.

Try downloading GParted to correct the partition's

6. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Moving the partition will be very hard and may take several hours of repair time, if it works at all.

I would suggest you do an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 and put the upgrade in your D: partition. You can change its size later after deleting the first Win 7 partition, or do it before you do the upgrade, just make sure the new partition is a primary partition. Make the partition large enough to contail your Windows 7 install and other .old files. Probably no smaller than 20 G and I woulld go for 60 G or so.

#6 Saltgrass, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009