Windows Vista Partition Resize Problems....

SamHam

Hi,

I have a new (3mnths) Compaq running Vista 32.
The HD is split into the usual two partitions - C for Data and Windows and D for Recovery

D is has now only 1.3GB free and I need to increase the size.
I have tried to do this through the Vista Disk Management Console but the extend volume option is grayed out (after shrinking C to create an unused section).
The Command diskpart.exe does not work either - says no available space.
I believe that the free space needs to be to the right of the partition to expand?? - is currently on the left.

My question is:
i) Can I copy the recovery data D to C,
ii) Remove the partition so there is none,
iii) Create a partition with more space and then copy the recovery data back over??

Was wondereing if this would work.
Have heard that partitions can be a little tricky.............:confused:

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Had a look at the software but it required a multiple HD setup to work.
Found a freeware partition manager - Easeus Partition Master Home Edition which was easy to use (and a legit freeware program) and the resized D seems to be all good so far.
Would recommend this program.

Hi SamHam,

glad to see you found a solution but also thankyou for posting the solution. This will help others in the same situation.

:):)

I've never used this program. I know what Vista forums recommends. A Microsoft MVP said he found the software handy. Then another one said it ruined up his partition table and he lost one drive which had around 20 GB of downloaded software. He had to correct the partition table entry using another application---but he found it handy. Somebody else said things worked out just fine. I guess it only means something to your computer- compatibility wise

Back