Windows 7 PC random reboot(spontaneous restart)

Shib

Hello all,
A few days ago i bought myself a new cpu/MB/memory/HD and since i've installed them i'm having spontaneous restarts. i've done quite some research on the net but i can't seem to get this fixed. So any help would be appreciated.

First of all,i'm gonna start off with my pc specs

Intel i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte ga-ex58-ud3r rev 1.6
Corsair Triple channel 3x2gb ram
AXP Simple power ATX power supply 630 watt (he peeps a bit,could this be the problem?)
WD 1TB 7200rpm 32mb cache hard disk
nvidia geforce 285gtx video card
i use g5 mouse,g15 keyboard and wireless internet,i have the TL-WN321G device to connect with my routher downstairs.

I've always been using windows xp up to this point. when i got those new hardware i also got myself windows 7 64 bits and since then the problem started. It mostly occurs while i'm gaming,had it 1 time while just using msn and once while downloading.

The problem:

Critical:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 31/01/2010 23:19:29
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Shib-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="Link Removed due to 404 Error">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-31T22:19:29.487214000Z" />
<EventRecordID>8962</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Shib-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I will also include an error and a warning that occure few seconds after the critical mentioned above:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
Date: 31/01/2010 23:19:31
Event ID: 3
Task Category: Session
Level: Error
Keywords: Session
Description:
Session "Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing" Guid="{B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}" />
<EventID>3</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>2</Task>
<Opcode>14</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000010</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-31T22:19:31.234417100Z" />
<EventRecordID>71</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="200" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin</Channel>
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="SessionName">Microsoft-Windows-Setup</Data>
<Data Name="FileName">C:\Windows\Panther\setup.etl</Data>
<Data Name="ErrorCode">3221225485</Data>
<Data Name="LoggingMode">5</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Warning:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 31/01/2010 23:19:34
Event ID: 219
Task Category: (212)
Level: Warning
Keywords:
Description:
The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device Root\SIDESHOW\0000.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
<EventID>219</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>212</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-31T22:19:34.073622100Z" />
<EventRecordID>8964</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="52" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DriverNameLength">18</Data>
<Data Name="DriverName">Root\SIDESHOW\0000</Data>
<Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>
<Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>
<Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WUDFRd</Data>
<Data Name="Version">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I've tried several stuff to solve this.
-installed latest realtek drivers
-installed latst gpu drivers
-set my memory voltage a bit higher in bios
-also have used my old HD where windows xp is installed on. updated windows xp with drivers etc(still reboot)
-removed one ram module and tried dual channel

Nothing has been succesfull atm. I've had times that i thought i found it because i've been gaming for several hours without the problem occuring,the next day it happened again.

also my pc is showing i have a floppy disk,while i don't maybe this has something to do with it

Any help,suggestions are welcome. I'm gonna need it :)
Thanks in advance,
Shib

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, the pc exhibits the same behavior in Win7 and in Win XP? I would definitely try swapping out the power supply, I don't believe the beeping sound is a feature. As far as the floppy drive, take a look at the bios, probably just need to adjust it to disabled or not present, something like that. You may want to look at the website for the MoBo manufacturer and see if there is a more current bios date than the one you are currently running

EDIT: According to this there is one from January 12th 2010. http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3104

Last edited:
Thanks for you fast reply trouble.

Yes i have just plugged in my old HD with my previous settings of my pc installed on it tho. just instaleld my chipset,videocard,etc. started playing a game and had the same stuff again.

As for the PSU. i'm definetely gonna try that out. but since i do no have an extra PSU i'm gonna ask for a PSU which i could try out and buy eventually if it works in the local shop where i come somethimes. This probably won't be possible to try it out first so then i'm gonna have to find another solution for loaning a psu. don't really want to buy one and then see that was not the problem.
bout my psu when installing a fan the 2 connectors were out of the connector and i've accidentally replaced them wrong. maybe this did dmg to my psu and now not working properly when he needs to work quite a bit

As for the BIOS update. i've tried to update but i can't due to 64 bits window :s

I just reinstalled windows 7 and i'm gonna install driver one by one and test after each install now.

Last edited:
BIOS updates are usually, almost without exception, OS independent. So why would your version of Windows stop you from updating your bios. I don't understand, but am always anxious to learn.

i've downloaded the latest bios. unpacked it launched the autoexec

dos pops up and i get a window where this is written:

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\shib\Downloads\FLASHSPI.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

So yeh pretty much stuck at that unless there's another option to install?

EDIT: windows 7 freshly installed,so i just downloaded my video card drivers and i just had a reboot again

noticed this in my logbook,havn't seen it before i believe

Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
Date: 1/02/2010 2:21:02
Event ID: 1101
Task Category: Event processing
Level: Error
Keywords: Audit Success
User: N/A
Computer: shib-PC
Description:
Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog" Guid="{fc65ddd8-d6ef-4962-83d5-6e5cfe9ce148}" />
<EventID>1101</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4020000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-01T01:21:02.025645300Z" />
<EventRecordID>393</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="960" ThreadID="1264" />
<Channel>Security</Channel>
<Computer>shib-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<UserData>
<AuditEventsDropped xmlns:auto-ns3="Link Removed due to 404 Error" xmlns="Link Removed - Invalid URL">
<Reason>0</Reason>
</AuditEventsDropped>
</UserData>
</Event>

Last edited:
The other option could be cooling of either the processor or even the video card. I'd suggest checking your operating temps. I used to get random lockups and freezes and reboots while gaming and by getting some more airflow all the random issues when away....Good luck amigo!

i've checked my temps and they did not get too hot. the airflow in my case is quite good so i'm quiet sure this is not the problem

Pity that...

Well shoot, the temperature is the easy one to fix! ;) Let us know how it goes.

Have you checked your RAM?

Derek

i've downloaded the latest bios. unpacked it launched the autoexec

dos pops up and i get a window where this is written:

The program or feature "\??\C:\Users\shib\Downloads\FLASHSPI.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

So yeh pretty much stuck at that unless there's another option to install?

EDIT: windows 7 freshly installed,so i just downloaded my video card drivers and i just had a reboot again

noticed this in my logbook,havn't seen it before i believe
</Event>
If you would please read Chapter 4 of your mother board manual, I believe page 70 or so will explain to you how to use the built in motherboard utility called QFlash and the file that you already have downloaded to update your system bios.

aye trouble,i've done this earlier today. Bios is updated with latest version.

But i really start to think it's my PSU giving problems the beeping is getting louder and louder.it's like a continuous annoying high sound. This happened when i started using my new CPU/MB/RAM/HD, tho i do not know it's actually because these new stuff or because i accidentally connected a fan in the wrong way. so actually i made a small electrical fault in my psu which maybe could have damaged some stuff so it can't give the full wattage? i just tested out HWMONITOR, a monitor to see the heat of components and stuff and i also noticed the CPU power supply box had 3 wattage pieces. and counting them all up my CPU already needed 350watts + my CPU should have abt +-250watts aswell. so if my PSU can't give enough watts maybe that's the reason he just reboots? he also doesn't show a blue screen or anything just reboots

Untitled.jpg
pencil.png

As I said in my initial post "I don't believe the beeping sound is a feature." It is more likely an indicator that the PSU is faulty and failing and I would be very careful about how much longer you continue to use it, as under powering certain components may possibly result in even further damage to your new stuff that you just put in.

aye,i'm aware of this. at first i din't think it was a big problem. the noise happened not that much and wasn't that loud but now as soon my power supply has to work quite a bit it's starting and alot louder then first. going to the shop tomorrow and gonna test a new PSU. will keep this updated if it's fixed or not.
Thx for the help so far :) appreciate it

Back