Windows 10 PC restarted -- don't know why

Fenway16

Honorable Member
I was online this a.m. and all of a sudden a window came up on the desktop saying, "restarting". I checked my updates file and nothing had been updated by windows. Where do I look to find out what was going on. Like what was updated that required a restart? Thanks.

You can look in the System log and filter for User32 events to see what restarted your system.

I went to system in settings - filtered as suggested. Did a search on system log. Where do I go to get the system log. Duh me again.

I looked in maintenance for reliability settings - it did say Dell update which I guess would require a restart. I did not receive a notification from Dell that they were updating something. Just a restart. I guess I'll go with that. Thanks for the help.

Went to event viewer but a bit over my head. I see the Dell digital download entry. I highlighted that and filtered for user 32 events but again, not sure what I'm seeing. Is this something that I should worry about? Thanks.

Screenshots would probably be useful to responders. Can you provide some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also open a powershell prompt and copy and paste this. Should give you any less common shutdown (or non-user initiated ) shutdowns.

Get-EventLog -LogName System -Source User32 -newest 100 | ? { $_.Message -notlike "*explorer.exe*" -and $_.Message -notlike "*winlogon.exe*" }

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell Installing PowerShell - PowerShell

PS C:\Users\PV> Get-EventLog -LogName System -Source User32 -newest 100 | ? { $_.Message -notlike "*explorer.exe*" -and $_.Message -notlike "*winlogon.exe*" }
>> Like Quote ReplyReport

Index Time EntryType Source InstanceID Message
----- ---- --------- ------ ---------- -------
10653 Sep 10 16:50 Warning User32 2147484721 The attempt by user DELL02\PV to restart/shutdo...
7626 Aug 13 14:07 Warning User32 2147484721 The attempt by user DELL02\PV to restart/shutdo...
7530 Aug 12 10:03 Warning User32 2147484721 The attempt by user DELL02\PV to restart/shutdo...
Like : The term 'Like' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:2 char:2
+ Like Quote ReplyReport
+ ~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Like:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
This is what came up. No mention of 12/22 when the event took place. I copied paste into power shell and copied paste for here.

I'll try doing it according to the diagram. Again where do I find "system logs" -- I went into the "manage" file but don't see logs mentioned. While I don't see any problem with the pc, this does have me concerned. No one has indicated a problem from this symptom. It does show a Dell update so I keep thinking that is it. Thanks.

Just found what diagram shows: looks like a shutdown was initiated but gives no clue as to why. As you can read in annotation. Thanks again.

Look up the error code in the photo. Those codes usually provide at least some information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be something that a lot of users experience. I don't see it as a problem - just an inconvenience especially if you are in the middle of something crucial. Thanks for all help.