Windows 10 PC restarted -- don't know why

Fenway16

Honorable Member
I was online this a.m. and all of a sudden a window came up on the desktop saying, "restarting". I checked my updates file and nothing had been updated by windows. Where do I look to find out what was going on. Like what was updated that required a restart? Thanks.

You can look in the System log and filter for User32 events to see what restarted your system.

I went to system in settings - filtered as suggested. Did a search on system log. Where do I go to get the system log. Duh me again.

I looked in maintenance for reliability settings - it did say Dell update which I guess would require a restart. I did not receive a notification from Dell that they were updating something. Just a restart. I guess I'll go with that. Thanks for the help.

Went to event viewer but a bit over my head. I see the Dell digital download entry. I highlighted that and filtered for user 32 events but again, not sure what I'm seeing. Is this something that I should worry about? Thanks.

Screenshots would probably be useful to responders. Can you provide some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to get this snip - perhaps it will tell why.
Annotation 2019-12-23 135114.jpg
Annotation 2019-12-23 135114.jpg

You can also open a powershell prompt and copy and paste this. Should give you any less common shutdown (or non-user initiated ) shutdowns.

Get-EventLog -LogName System -Source User32 -newest 100 | ? { $_.Message -notlike "*explorer.exe*" -and $_.Message -notlike "*winlogon.exe*" }

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell Installing PowerShell - PowerShell

PS C:\Users\PV> Get-EventLog -LogName System -Source User32 -newest 100 | ? { $_.Message -notlike "*explorer.exe*" -and $_.Message -notlike "*winlogon.exe*" }
>> Like Quote ReplyReport

Index Time EntryType Source InstanceID Message
----- ---- --------- ------ ---------- -------
10653 Sep 10 16:50 Warning User32 2147484721 The attempt by user DELL02\PV to restart/shutdo...
7626 Aug 13 14:07 Warning User32 2147484721 The attempt by user DELL02\PV to restart/shutdo...
7530 Aug 12 10:03 Warning User32 2147484721 The attempt by user DELL02\PV to restart/shutdo...
Like : The term 'Like' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:2 char:2
+ Like Quote ReplyReport
+ ~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Like:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
This is what came up. No mention of 12/22 when the event took place. I copied paste into power shell and copied paste for here.

I'll try doing it according to the diagram. Again where do I find "system logs" -- I went into the "manage" file but don't see logs mentioned. While I don't see any problem with the pc, this does have me concerned. No one has indicated a problem from this symptom. It does show a Dell update so I keep thinking that is it. Thanks.

Just found what diagram shows: looks like a shutdown was initiated but gives no clue as to why. As you can read in annotation. Thanks again.
Annotation 2019-12-24 103748.jpg

Look up the error code in the photo. Those codes usually provide at least some information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to be something that a lot of users experience. I don't see it as a problem - just an inconvenience especially if you are in the middle of something crucial. Thanks for all help.

Back
Top Bottom