PC suddenly asking for Windows set up

lynnechapman

Hi. When I came to use my PC last Friday (after leaving it in sleep mode the night before) there was a blue screen asking for Windows set up (picture attached). No matter what I do I can't get into it.
The model is a Medion Akoya E23401 23.8 Inch Slim All In One PC i5-8250U and it runs (ran) Windows 10 Pro. I have the original installation on a flash drive but don't know if that's the right thing to try and am scared to try in case I really mess it up (and lose everything). I do back up to OneDrive.
Thanks

Attachments

• Windows setup.jpg
    Windows setup.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
yep thats Windows setup all right... did you leave a Usb stick perhaps or Microsoft decided it was time to install W11
Windows setup.jpg

No, there was no USB stick in.Would it start trying to install Windows 11 without me agreeing to it? (it has tried before several times and I have always refused)

No, there was no USB stick in.Would it start trying to install Windows 11 without me agreeing to it? (it has tried before several times and I have always refused)
yes it would... allowing a pc to sleep is telling Microsoft to have fun [1 mystery sloved]

You could replace the harddrive then install your backup image onto that and recover your old files or you could allow the Windows install then roll it back... Frankly a all in one system is as likely to fail the install process anyway ime

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Windows Forums mobile app

i assume you want to keep the files that are currently on this current drive so no... formatting wipes things and you can't install w10 over the W11 i.e, you are only allowed to upgrade not downgrade

however if you have a backup of those files and are happy to wipe it clean then yes you install a fresh copy off your flash to get a blank W10 that you would then install everything on as a fresh system

Back
Top Bottom