PC vs Mac

Matt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vV5mZ8Ox8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JdC04vBik&feature=related

That sums it up pretty nicely. :p

Mac:

100% reliable. Macs never crash and just keep on going and going.
kernel_panic-1p0f.png

You can totally customise your Mac - I mean you can get a white and a black MacBook! Plus OSX lets you customise everything, from what wallpaper you use to, well, I think it lets you change the font size. Plus you can add extra RAM to your order. I mean who wants to save a lot of money and customize the ultimate PC to their exact specification?

Plus there's no need for Anti Virus or anti spyware on the Mac - there are no viruses written for OSX!
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Plus, you can even choose your OS. OSX or Windows can run on a Mac nowadays, and even Linux! Whereas on a PC you built yourself you don't have to pay for an OS - you actually have to download and install one for free instead of paying for one with your Mac. Who wants to do that? After all, you can only run OSX on a Mac, and as I've stated earlier in this post OSX is far superior to anything else.

osx86computer.jpg

Ash said:
Mac:

kernel_panic-1p0f.png

You can totally customise your Mac - I mean you can get a white and a black MacBook! Plus OSX lets you customise everything, from what wallpaper you use to, well, I think it lets you change the font size. Plus you can add extra RAM to your order. I mean who wants to save a lot of money and customize the ultimate PC to their exact specification?

Plus there's no need for Anti Virus or anti spyware on the Mac - there are no viruses written for OSX!

Plus, you can even choose your OS. OSX or Windows can run on a Mac nowadays, and even Linux! Whereas on a PC you built yourself you don't have to pay for an OS - you actually have to download and install one for free instead of paying for one with your Mac. Who wants to do that? After all, you can only run OSX on a Mac, and as I've stated earlier in this post OSX is far superior to anything else.

osx86computer.jpg

you're siply hilarious,yeah,mac customizable :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Did you know that you actually can in a pc change your graphics card,or even change a procesor,we all know how hardware is accepted by apple...
viruses...heh gosh viruses are coded for windows because most people still use windows,yeah unbelievable but true,they do!

As for OS-es,mac osx is a copy of vista,because vista did have
most of the things it has now since its beta stage,and mac didn't!

I'm so amused by this post that i have a great idea for what to do in a game which probaly i wouldn't be able to play in mac osbull%%%%x

lol, Macs do have viruses now a days. Nice post Ash.

I know of some more videos on youtube, I'll post them here soon.

It's rather difficult to say what OS is the best OS. Presumably Mac OS is really written for its hardware, and this is why it's more stable. Presumably ...

It's true that poorly assembled PC can create problems, but you can get a very reliable PC (hardware) at half the price of Mac.

To me, the cost is really the differentiator ...

[attachment=12][attachment=13][attachment=14][attachment=15][attachment=16]

Here's how I see it, Mac OSX is designed to work on 10 computer for each animal(Tiger, Leopard, etc.). Windows/Linux are designed to try and be compatible with over 1000+ computers. Have the Mac team try and make OSX work with that many computer and it will be just as incompatible as Windows/Linux.

Hardware wise, Macs usually have better quality parts for a higher price. This is stupid, however, because significant technological advances are made every year and you would want to replace your computer or component of a computer. So spending all that money on a Mac that will last tens years is a waste if you want a new one every 2ish years.

So I would agree OSX is probably better coding and the likes, but PCs are overall better.

its all true
mac works and never stops. mac dont need to be restarted when installing drivers or some applications like windows does
mac is great and it sucks at same time
There are almost 0 chance to get virus unlike any version of windows

mac cannot play video games or anything that runs on directX
Most of programs and every single video game was meant to work with windows only.
Mac can run games like Doom,UT2004 or Quake, in other words mac runs games that were made by my grandma.
You say mac can run games ?
Show me MAC running GRID or BORDERLANDS or Call of duty 5 ? No ?
thats right

Can mac run 3ds max ? or Zbrush ? or mudbox ? or any other cool 3d aplication program ? No and why would it, its not like anyone is making anything cool in 3d in MAC.

Mac install is complicated.
Windows install is easy and you can customize it using very user friendly applications.
Im talking about customizing windows installation DVD. Look back into Windows XP Nlite and Vista Vlite programs.
I costumised my XP CD so that if i ever get a virus. i would pop the disk/select partition to format and hit enter/ 30 minutes later i have every single program i need already preinstaled and ready to go.
Customize MAC installation DVD is to much complicated.

I see you talking about how you can customize mac wallpaper ? My phone can do that haha
My cat can customize its fur color each ear LOL does that make him better then windows ? (stupid example :) )

MAC cannot just run something, most of everything has to be executed using terminal.
Desktops ? GNOME KDE ? WTF ? windows has only one (in your face) Why do you need so many desktops environments anyway ? That just makes it more complicated, but maybe its reffed to linux

My point is:
With windows you can do everything
With mac you can do allot
Thats all

In windows u can run mac and play games and use all windows programs and all MAC programs.
In mac you can run windows but i will not be able to play games or use most of windows programs no matter how hard you try, but you will have fun with jelly windows effects while trying lol

Last edited:
wow really misinformed about the OSX

your quote: you can only run OSX on a Mac, and as I've stated earlier in this post OSX is far superior to anything else.

are you aware since Mac included intel cpus into there platform its now possible to put the Mac OSX on a PC!! google "OSX86"

kernel_panic-1p0f.png

osx86computer.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have both, and I like the Mac, it's the BEST notebook on the planet, it just works, there's no millarky, it's great for work, well the wifes work as she works for a Architectural an Design firm and they are 100% mac based for all there computing needs! We take it everywhere! Macs do have issue, screen problems, cd drive bay issues, over heating!

Windows 7, well in the first week of usage it can't hold a candle to vista, we all know what windows is like, my Pc is used for gaming and music!

Hi folks, I thought for my first post I'd jump on here. :D

I'm in the process of switching from Windows to Mac and I have a few reasons why which I'll explain in a minute.
First I have industry experience, I have a BS in computer science from 2000. I worked in IT from 2000 to September of this year when I was laid off. Myself and other network techs maintained a Windows based company, including 2000, XP, and Vista, Microsoft Exchange - the whole shabang of Microsoft.
We were hit by klez and almost hit by Cornficker.
While I was going for my MBA (Master in Business Admin) the company I worked for sent me and several others on a trip to Poerto Rico for training on one of the products we were selling. The German manufacturer sponsored the trip. While I was there I figured I would finish up a paper on my new Sony Vaio. It was a 10" ultraportable, running XP Pro. I liked it alot. I did my reading on the plane ride to the island and decided to write the small paper the first night - since it was due in two days and I didn't know what my schedule would be like there.
I boot the machine, start writing halfway done - blue screen. I figure it happens. I reboot, start working again, blue screen again. And again and again. I ran all the checks I could think of - no hardware problems. I turn it off for an hour thinking it overheated - reboot, get into Word - blue screen.
So I head down to the hotel business office, write the report email it to the prof and that was that.
When I get home, I reformat the machine and its fine, stable and normal. I used it for six months before I eBayed it - Centrino was coming out and I wanted to get a decent price.
This was a failure in the Operating System - nothing was wrong with the machine. That was strike one. Instead of spending time out drinking in Puerto Rico - I had to diagnose my laptop.
Strike Two - Cornficker. The fact that a hole like that even existed should have been enough. Once Symantec saw it on one machine, I unplugged the company network preventing it from spreading. Only ten machines were hit.
That's when I got my first refurbished Macbook 13" just to check it out. I loved it, but the screen was too small. I used it for a year until I got my MBP 15."
Strike Three- Vista. I rushed to upgrade my parents machine that i build - slow. I couldn't believe how dog slow that machine is now. I'm almost going back to XP 64. Core 2 Duo @ 2.8Ghz with 4GB of ram shouldn't take 45 seconds to boot and log in.

So yeah, I'll get that machine to Windows 7 - off ebay and that will be the last PC in inflict on my family.
It just isn't worth it.
Then there's the fact these brand new machines from the factory come with all sorts of useless junk, and Symantec which extorts money from ignorant users "Your definitions are about to expire! Pay $50 or you won't be protected!" I like how Geek Squad as Best Buy charges PC buyers to clear off that crapware.

So yeah, there's method to my madness.

Another note on my qualifications, I was in the process of getting MCSE certification, but quit because the people I was taking classes with were unbearable. Then the fact aftet two classes in Windows 2000, XP came out.

Hey Justin I can relate. I have had a used 24" imac for two weeks now and am not running any anti-anything. I have xp running under bootcamp because there are two programs that arent available for osx. I only use them every once in a while.

I havent booted to xp since the 3rd day I had the machine and even tho osx has a slight learning process it came rather quickly. The Finder sucks *ss for sure tho. Windows Explore is awsome compared to it.

I just upgraded to snow leopard and it only seems to add some flashy stuff but the installation took less than an hour and 2 reboots. I thought the computer was pretty fast before but now it is extremely fast.

I want to try to upgrade my xp partition to windows 7 one day because I've heard so many good things about it. There are things I like about windows and things I like about OSX. Since everything is great right now I'm not going to throw a monkey wrench in to things and hold off on the Windows 7 upgrade. It would be ironic if windows 7 installed on the mac when it wouldnt install on the PC.

If Windows 7 would have installed for me I wouldnt even be commenting about it... I just would have gone on with life.

Hey Justin I can relate. I have had a used 24" imac for two weeks now and am not running any anti-anything. I have xp running under bootcamp because there are two programs that arent available for osx. I only use them every once in a while.

I havent booted to xp since the 3rd day I had the machine and even tho osx has a slight learning process it came rather quickly. The Finder sucks *ss for sure tho. Windows Explore is awsome compared to it.

I just upgraded to snow leopard and it only seems to add some flashy stuff but the installation took less than an hour and 2 reboots. I thought the computer was pretty fast before but now it is extremely fast.

I want to try to upgrade my xp partition to windows 7 one day because I've heard so many good things about it. There are things I like about windows and things I like about OSX. Since everything is great right now I'm not going to throw a monkey wrench in to things and hold off on the Windows 7 upgrade. It would be ironic if windows 7 installed on the mac when it wouldnt install on the PC.

If Windows 7 would have installed for me I wouldnt even be commenting about it... I just would have gone on with life.

Indeed.
My main beefs with Windows is the utter lack of security in the form of malware.
Why isn't Microsoft going after these companies that flash the popups imitating a Windows message? So many people are tricked into installing malware this way its amazing.
Its not like they don't have the money - and they DO have a case. Microsoft patented each Windows interface - if you imitate it you can be sued. Period. MS could eliminate that threat in about ten days if they wanted to. They don't.
Then there's the viruses - which I won't go over.
Then there's the brand new PC from the factory that comes with Norton 60 day version. After 60 days an error comes up. "OMFG!!! You're not protected! Pay us $50 or you won't be protected from all the threats and your first born will die. HURRY!!!"
What does the average user do? takes out his credit card and pays.

Then there's the toolbars. Every other piece of softsare wants to install some sort of ridiculous toolbar. When a user is in a hurry installing Adobe PDF reader he might glaze right other the hidden checkbox that is enabled by default.
Its pathetic, inconvenient, and insecure. If companies have to trick users into installing their junk it can't be very good.
Mcafee, Norton, Ask.com, Yahoo, and Google are all guilty.

Indeed.
My main beefs with Windows is the utter lack of security in the form of malware.
Why isn't Microsoft going after these companies that flash the popups imitating a Windows message? So many people are tricked into installing malware this way its amazing.
Its not like they don't have the money - and they DO have a case. Microsoft patented each Windows interface - if you imitate it you can be sued. Period. MS could eliminate that threat in about ten days if they wanted to. They don't.
Then there's the viruses - which I won't go over.
Then there's the brand new PC from the factory that comes with Norton 60 day version. After 60 days an error comes up. "OMFG!!! You're not protected! Pay us $50 or you won't be protected from all the threats and your first born will die. HURRY!!!"
What does the average user do? takes out his credit card and pays.

Then there's the toolbars. Every other piece of softsare wants to install some sort of ridiculous toolbar. When a user is in a hurry installing Adobe PDF reader he might glaze right other the hidden checkbox that is enabled by default.
Its pathetic, inconvenient, and insecure. If companies have to trick users into installing their junk it can't be very good.
Mcafee, Norton, Ask.com, Yahoo, and Google are all guilty.
So basically your saying Macs are better for stupid people. XD

Yes, they are better for stupid people, that's rather obvious. As for the rest of us it all depends.

I have used Windows since the only thing available for it was Word, Word Perfect and Exel. No internet, just using a 14k modem to dial up a BBS. Actually come to think of it there was a form of internet that we used called usenet (still available today). I'd say I've been quite faithful to Windows.

Before I lost everything and had to start from scratch a month ago my PC was running pretty smoothly. I really had no complaints for the most part. I had a firewall, two pop-up blockers and av/malware program running full time. They were resource hogs I'm sure (after all everything has to pass thru them first). I also scanned my system manually every week or so with a "registry fixer" if things seemed to be getting weird.

Doing all that stuff was hard-wired into my brain over the years and I thought that was just par-for-the-course.

Every night at 2am my anti-virus/malware program would run and when I looked at the log in the morning there almost always was a few items that it had taken care of.

I've been using computers a long-ass time now and just like everyone else it is almost a requirement to have one. It's just that I dont want to supply "life support" to the operating system anymore.

What Justin is getting at (and me too) is that when running osx, for whatever reason, the crapware isn't even getting on the machine. Yes that's what I said, it's not even getting on the harddrive. I have a anti-virus/malware program for osx and have ran it a few times but it finds nothing...not one single thing has gotten thru. I dont have the virus/malware programing running full time but if It ever finds something then I probably will run it full time.

After my major crash and absolute clean install of windows xp I obviously didnt install my av/malware program fast enough because within 1/2 hour of getting on the net I already had stuff flashing on the screen. I know the "backdoor" ports have to be sealed-off in windows but a half hour just doesnt give a guy much time to get everything locked down and installed.

The "bot's" out there are so fast at detecting an open port or unsecure system that the average user has no time to protect themselves.

Nobody needs to get defensive of which OS or hardware they prefer. Some of us are simply pointing out our observations. I'm not bashing windows or the PC. They all have their strongpoints. I'd like to have the best of everything included in one OS and I believe that the two major players are close but I think that osx is slightly closer to having the perfect OS because of the security for the average "stupid" computer user.

I want to install windows 7 on the xp partition but It would only be because of the hype. XP works fine for the two programs I need it for and with my luck they wouldnt work with 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically your saying Macs are better for stupid people. XD

No, what I meant was they're good for people who don't want to deal with that crap. Like my Puerto Rico experience.
Macs are not perfect, I will admit that, nor is Linux, nor Windows.
Within the next two years I'm putting my family to Mac. I've seen too many malware infestations, and people get fooled by those popups - they aren't stupid either. They see a window that looks like AVG or whatever antivirus they're running and it tells them they're infested.

Below is an example.
To a normal user this looks legit.

Last edited:
No, what I meant was they're good for people who don't want to deal with that crap. Like my Puerto Rico experience.
Macs are not perfect, I will admit that, nor is Linux, nor Windows.
Within the next two years I'm putting my family to Mac. I've seen too many malware infestations, and people get fooled by those popups - they aren't stupid either. They see a window that looks like AVG or whatever antivirus they're running and it tells them they're infested.

Below is an example.
To a normal user this looks legit.
Yes, I stand by my policy of teaching the user, not changing the used. :p One actually solves the problem.

Yes, I stand by my policy of teaching the user, not changing the used. :p One actually solves the problem.

Teaching? I'm not teaching anyone how to use a computer anymore. Been there, done that way too many times. No more babysitting for me. Lot's of cash might motivate me to get off my *ss tho.

Go look thru that Window 7 installation section in the forum and see what is going on.

No really, I know you dont want to but just go look and see what people are dealing with.

These poor people are going though hell. It is not for the squeamish.

I feel so sorry for them because nobody can help. People try to give suggestions but they are the same suggestions over and over again and rarely does any solution work.

It is so sad. I really feel so bad because I've been there and I know how they feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom