Windows 7 PDF won't open in IE8 but works fine in IE9

kormath

Honorable Member
I have a number of users that I support that cannot open a PDF file downloaded from a training website (external website, not intranet). Using IE8 they get a flash of status bar activity and then nothing. On my computer with IE9 I have no issues opening them at all. I've changed all the security, privacy, content and advanced settings to match what I see in my internet options, but that hasn't helped.

I can't figure out what has changed between IE8 and IE9 that causes this. Adobe Reader 9 is installed on all machines. Firefox 10.0.2 will open the files also, but has issues with some of our propriety software so we can't use it as a workaround unfortunately.

I've also added the websites to the trusted list, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

You may wish to update Adobe Reader, it's way out of date.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

This is the 6th version released after the last Adobe 9.anything, if nothing else, update for security. As well as Java & Flash.

Cat

Who is making and how are the .pdf files being made?

Has this external site already been optimized for IE9?

Are there security differences between your access to the files and the others?

You may wish to update Adobe Reader, it's way out of date.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

This is the 6th version released after the last Adobe 9.anything, if nothing else, update for security. As well as Java & Flash.

Cat

Cat - Good ideas but Adobe is the same version on both the working and not working systems, I'll try updating that on my computer and the test computer beside me. Java is also the same version and cannot be updated as Oracle's last 2 or so java updates have broken their Oracle R12 software which our accounting department uses extensively.

Who is making and how are the .pdf files being made?

Has this external site already been optimized for IE9?

Are there security differences between your access to the files and the others?

It's an OSHA training course through clicksafety, I have no clue who and how on the PDF's.

It has been updated for IE9, but like a lot of corporations we're a few steps behind while the new releases are being tested with our current proprietary software.

No security difference other than the differences between IE8 and IE9. I have a laptop on my desk with a new Windows image that I didn't upgrade to IE9 for testing this. My laptop was imaged with the same image the day before and upgraded to IE9.

All approved windows updates have been installed on both systems also.

Try comparing the add-ins (enabled / disabled) on the working and non-working systems.
Try experimenting with an alternative PDF reader, if that is an option, like FoxIt Reader enable the browser addon and see if that helps at all.

Try comparing the add-ins (enabled / disabled) on the working and non-working systems.
Try experimenting with an alternative PDF reader, if that is an option, like FoxIt Reader enable the browser addon and see if that helps at all.

I'll have to check with the application development team to see if an alternative PDF option is viable. I can try it on my test system and see what happens.

I didn't check add-ins. We went through all the security, connection, privacy, and advanced settings in internet options and matched it as close as possible between the 2 IE versions.

Yes, it would likely be important that the pertinent BHOs (Browser Helper Objects) be enabled to support what you are attempting. Everyone just calls them plugins or addons now. You should be able to manage them from within IE, enable or disable.

Modified the Add-ins so they match as close as possible, some addins aren't showing in 9 that are in 8. Still can't open the PDF files. From what I can tell it we've done everything here that we can. Our Training admin is contacting the webmaster for the training site to see if they can figure out a fix. The only way I can fix this is to go outside the company standards on software and that isn't going to happen to use as a company-wide fix.

Thanks for all the help on this :)

I have Foxit Reader installed on all of my Windows installs myself, it's a much lighter PDF reader, & just as good as Adobe Reader. Probably more secure as well.

However, I understand that companies has to go with the flow.

Cat

Back