Windows 7 Pinnacle PCTV Rave 5 TV card driver

SKJoy2001

The compatibility list shows the Pinnacle PCTV Rave 5 TV card is not compatible with Win7, however, the Action Center suggests driver download from the Pinnacle website. The Device Manager somehow manages to detect the video capture card as well. Anyone has any success with this Pinnacle antique piece?

That is the same driver and application that worked for WinXP but it doesn't work for Win7 as I stated in my post.

Could you give me the Hardware number:

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

Five choices
1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. Download |MG| SIW (System Info) 2009.5.12
4. Download |MG| SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36

Then check this site for beta Vista drivers:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, the BETA driver didn't work (THE DEVICE CANNOT START with Error code: 10). I used the driver for Rave from the link you provided with.

Sorry, the BETA driver didn't work (THE DEVICE CANNOT START with Error code: 10). I used the driver for Rave from the link you provided with.

Did the error message indicate what the device was?

So, for example, “This device cannot start. Code 10 in audio driverâ€Â￾ means that you have a bad or missing or incompatible driver for your sound card.

As I told in my original post, the same drivers worked for WinXPPro without any trouble. So the driver I tried is definitely for the device I am using. Also, the BETA drivers that I used as you adviced, there were only one driver download for the device I have, so, there was no chance of mistake in downloading BETA drivers.

And of course I know what device I am using, it is Pinnacle PCTV and the driver/application should be listed as Pinnacle PCTV Rave 5.50 and the device manager should have the following entries when the drivers are installed successfully;

Pinnacle Systems Multimedia Video Capture
Pinnacle Systems Multimedia Audio Capture

Also, additionally, this device is listed as INCOMPATIBLE for Windows 7, officially stated. So I ware primarily looking for if anyone had any workaround to get this device working under Windows 7.

Pctv rave windows 7

I don´t speak english, but I try to explain how I made PCTV RAVE bt878 run in Windows 7.

After to try a million ways to make this card works in windows 7

1. Install windows xp (or plug the card in other pc running windows xp)
Instalar windows xp (o instalar la tarjeta en otro pc)

2. Install last driver for XP.
Instalar el ultimo driver para XP (creo que es el 5.50)

3. Install Ktv (kastor tv)
Instalar Ktv (kastor tv)

4. Sintonice all channels
Sintonizar los canales de televisión
When the card is running under xp
Cuando ya funciona en xp

5. Copy the folder c:\pinnacle\driver and the folder c:\program files\ktv in a usb drive or cdrom
copiar las carpetas c;\pinnacle\driver y c:\archivos de programa\ktv en un pendrive o en un cd

6. Copy that folders in windows 7
copiar las carpetas en las mismas rutas en windows 7

7. Install the driver: in device manager, force to install the windows xp driver (pinpctv.inf)
instalar el driver: en administrador de dispositivos, actualizar controlador y seeleccionar el pinpctv.inf, aunque diga que no se asegura la compatibilidad seguid.

8. Copy the folder ktv into program files.

9. Execute ktv.exe (xp compatible mode)
ejecutar ktv.exe en modo compatibilidad xp (boton derecho del ratón, propiedades, ejecutar)

this is the only way I can use this card in windows 7. If other know another way (more simply) please answer.
Si alguien sabe alguna forma mas facil de hacerlo le agradeceria que me la dijera.

Thanks
Gracias

You used Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?
I don´t speak english, but I try to explain how I made PCTV RAVE bt878 run in Windows 7.

After to try a million ways to make this card works in windows 7

1. Install windows xp (or plug the card in other pc running windows xp)
Instalar windows xp (o instalar la tarjeta en otro pc)

2. Install last driver for XP.
Instalar el ultimo driver para XP (creo que es el 5.50)

3. Install Ktv (kastor tv)
Instalar Ktv (kastor tv)

4. Sintonice all channels
Sintonizar los canales de televisión
When the card is running under xp
Cuando ya funciona en xp

5. Copy the folder c:\pinnacle\driver and the folder c:\program files\ktv in a usb drive or cdrom
copiar las carpetas c;\pinnacle\driver y c:\archivos de programa\ktv en un pendrive o en un cd

6. Copy that folders in windows 7
copiar las carpetas en las mismas rutas en windows 7

7. Install the driver: in device manager, force to install the windows xp driver (pinpctv.inf)
instalar el driver: en administrador de dispositivos, actualizar controlador y seeleccionar el pinpctv.inf, aunque diga que no se asegura la compatibilidad seguid.

8. Copy the folder ktv into program files.

9. Execute ktv.exe (xp compatible mode)
ejecutar ktv.exe en modo compatibilidad xp (boton derecho del ratón, propiedades, ejecutar)

this is the only way I can use this card in windows 7. If other know another way (more simply) please answer.
Si alguien sabe alguna forma mas facil de hacerlo le agradeceria que me la dijera.

Thanks
Gracias

Sorry SKjoy2001.

I use 32 bit version (I don´t have v. x64) , but if you use Windows 7 x64 I think that you can use the same way with xp x64 version by using this driver:

BtInstaller-amd64-5.3.8.64

the link:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

this is the driver for pctv rave XP X64 that should works in Windows 7.

tray it and say.

Sorry SKjoy2001.

I use 32 bit version (I don´t have v. x64) , but if you use Windows 7 x64 I think that you can use the same way with xp x64 version by using this driver:

BtInstaller-amd64-5.3.8.64

the link:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

this is the driver for pctv rave XP X64 that should works in Windows 7.

tray it and say.

Just download DScaler for Win7, works great at getting old bt848 cards working in win7.

hey that's great news

I have a pctv studio wich actually uses pctv rave's driver

would you kindly provide further details of your installation and the drivers hyperlink? I'll apreciate it.

regards

I've used BtInstaller-amd64-5.3.8.64 and at least I could install the drivers

the audio device of the card was good installed but the video driver shows a warn because that is not a 'registered driver' for windows 7 x64 - no sucess

I am pretty shure that driver would work fine on w7 x64 but Microsoft is always improving its ways to be DUMB! is there a possible way to disable that thing of 'only registered drivers'?

SOLUTION: PCVT RAVE and Windows 7 + MMTV

Bonsoir,
Je vais en aider plus d'un ... je pense. J'ai aussi depuis fort longtemps une PCTV Rave qui fonctionnait tres bien sous Xp avec K!TV et MMTV jusqu'au jours où je suis passé à Windows 7 qui d'ailleurs tourne mieux qu'XP même sur mon vieux PC des années 2000 (P4 HT à 2,8Ghz).
W7 installe automatiquement les drivers pour la pinnacle PCTV Rave, et comme de bien entendu, ce ne sont pas les bons pilotes. Alors après des heures d'essai et de recherches sur le WEB voici une première solution que je n'ai pas testé que vous trouverez sur ce lien: http://windows7forums.com/...

La 2eme solution étant de charger des pilotes génériques des Chipsets BT8X8 se trouvant sur WDM Video Capture Driver mais pour mon cas cela n'a pas fonctionné.

La 3ème solution est la BONNE : Je me susi servi des pilotes d'origine de PINNACLE PCTV Rave 5.5, sur l'exécutacle "PinnaclePCTVUpdate550.exe" faites un clic droit dessus puis extraire les fichiers vers où vous voulez ----> Pour faire cela j'utilise WINRAR. Une fois fait, vous allez trouver un dossier nommé "driver" comprenant "pinpctv.cat, pinpctv.inf, rob_a.sys, rob_v.sys et SLAUNCH.exe".
Dans le gestionnaire de périphérique faites un clic droit sur les pilotes installés par défaut qui se nomment quelque chose comme "WDM video capture" et "WDM audio capture" puis mettez à jour le pilote manuellement à partir du dosier "driver" précédent.
Si ça ne fonctionne pas, faites un clic droit sur les pilotes installés par défaut puis désinstaller pour ensuite les mettres à jour manuellement. (parfois ici le matériel ne réapparait plus dans le gestionnaire de périphérique et ne sachant pas ou est l'ajout de matériel sous windows 7, j'ai utilisé "btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8" dispo sur le lien précédent qui réinstalle des drivers génériques qui je reprécise ne fonctionnent pas)
La carte TV fonctionne lorsque vous voyez dans le gestionnaire de périphérique "Pinnacle WDM PCTV Audio Capture" et "Pinnacle WDM Video Capture".

ENFIN installez MMTV3.0.0.5 (suivi de InstallDLL7.1), au démarrage MMTV plante, il suffira simplement de désactiver votre carte son "Realtek AC97 audio" dans mon cas (ou Realtek HD Definition...). Lancer ensuite MMTV puis réactiver la carte son et MMTV fonctionne normalement.

Pour K!TV et windows 7, je n'ai pas enscore de solution, il m'affiche "ERROR: No Overlay detected, please check your videocard drivers or dislay properties.Sopping K!TV"

Alex

PS: The third solution is the good one. Extract the driver with winrar from the original package "PCTVRave 5.5.exe", do not execute but extract it. Then appeared a "driver" folder that you used to install the good driver. Right clic on the hardware from the "gestionnaire de périphérique" in french, then update manually the hardware. Then appeared in the "gestionnaire de périphérique" the good driver called "Pinnacle WDM PCTV Audio Capture" and "Pinnacle WDM Video Capture".

Geeze, stumbled across this by accident (Google Accident), many thanks to the guys who posted this back in 09, I have been trying to get my old PCTV Rave to work in a Win 7 rig for ages to capture some VHS. Once again if your still on this Forum thanks.

Back