Windows 7 planing on getting a new video card

TheUnknown

I need help on getting a new video card that's under 120$ +taxes XD for gaming. So far i have a GT 520 TI and i am looking at this video card (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N650OC-1GI GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card)
i saw some gameplay's of it and so far it look's and play's very good, but it say's it need's PCI Express 3.0 x16 and my motherboard that's a Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P, It say's PCI Express x16, I really don't know what version of PCI Express my motherboard is, my question is, Will my motherboard work with the GTX 650 and does PCI Express 3.0 mean that i need to update my motherboard?

Last edited:
Have you compared the differences between the two cards and checked out the pros and con of each card?

Well then ... what are you waiting for...get it...lol. I'm partial to the AMD brand because of my dual monitor setup. The 5xxx series and above uses software called Eyefinity to extend the image across multiple monitors - 2 or more- and it's a whole different gaming experience.

Well then ... what are you waiting for...get it...lol. I'm partial to the AMD brand because of my dual monitor setup. The 5xxx series and above uses software called Eyefinity to extend the image across multiple monitors - 2 or more- and it's a whole different gaming experience.
So...the GTX 650 will work on any version of pci express? my motherboard is just pci express it does not say pci express 1.0, 2.0 or a 3.0

PCIe is frontwards and backwards compatible so the card should work fine. HOWEVER - graphics are often the most power hungry components in our computers, even more than many CPUs. So whenever you upgrade hardware, especially graphics, you MUST ensure your power supply can support the added demands - both in terms of supplied current on the +12VDC rail, but in connections too as many cards require additional power connections directly from the PSU.

It appears that card does not require additional connections but the maker does recommend a PSU of 400W as a minimum.

PCIe is frontwards and backwards compatible so the card should work fine. HOWEVER - graphics are often the most power hungry components in our computers, even more than many CPUs. So whenever you upgrade hardware, especially graphics, you MUST ensure your power supply can support the added demands - both in terms of supplied current on the +12VDC rail, but in connections too as many cards require additional power connections directly from the PSU.

It appears that card does not require additional connections but the maker does recommend a PSU of 400W as a minimum.

That's fine, my psu is 600 watt's, is that good?

That's fine, my psu is 600 watt's, is that good?
Most likely. It is really the current on the 12V rail that matters most, not the wattage. But since your card does not require additional power connections, I don't see any problems.

Most likely. It is really the current on the 12V rail that matters most, not the wattage. But since your card does not require additional power connections, I don't see any problems.
Alright. :) but i want to be 100% sure if the GTX can run on my motherboard that says only a pci express and GTX require's 3.0

Your mobo supports 1 PCIe 16, 1 PCIe 1 and 2 PCI slots...your GPU in question is PCIe 3.0 and is backwards compatible. If you go this route your bus speed on your PCIe 16 will run that GPU at that speed and not at the speed of you had a mobo that had a PCIe 3.0. Bottom line is it will work and you should see any noticeable difference at the slower bus speed of that slot.

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-M68MT-S2P (rev. 1.0)

Back