Windows 7 "Play To" Xbox 360 Media Center Extender not working.

When I am playing a song with windows media player I try to "play to" xbox 360 media center extender (yes it is on and in wmc mode : ). and then it trys to stream it. but after less than a minute I get this message "device cannot be controlled" refering to my xbox! anybody got any suggestions? i have tried google. it was zero help. see pic please. is there any thing else i need to do in order for this work properly?​

Last edited:
lol. Im not a Xbox guy I have a PS3. For me to get the streaming working I had to allow access using custom streaming preferences. My PS3 was the unknown device is my screenshot and was set to blocked by default. Im not sure if this will help you or not, but if you want to have a look you can find this screen at

control panel > network and sharing > media streaming options and show all networks in the drop down menu.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Good luck

lol. Im not a Xbox guy I have a PS3. For me to get the streaming working I had to allow access using custom streaming preferences. My PS3 was the unknown device is my screenshot and was set to blocked by default. Im not sure if this will help you or not, but if you want to have a look you can find this screen at

control panel > network and sharing > media streaming options and show all networks in the drop down menu.

Good luck
thanks for the help but, i have been all over that page! to no avail! anybody else got an xbox????

i need some help here people.....anybody, anybody have an xbox and tried to "push" a song to your xbox media center and have it play in your living room or where ever your xbox 360 is????? anyone? please?

i can not believe nobody can help me with this. anyway the plot thickens....what does this mean(see pic), this is why i cant push anything to my xbox360....anyone have any idea?

Last edited:
I'm not positive, but I don't think the Xbox 360 supports push-streaming of media yet. MS will be releasing a 360 system update to enable this feature 'round about the time Win7 launches. At the moment, only WMP 12 supports this functionality, IIRC.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the Xbox 360 supports push-streaming of media yet. MS will be releasing a 360 system update to enable this feature 'round about the time Win7 launches. At the moment, only WMP 12 supports this functionality, IIRC.

That might be it, really wish I could verify that one way or the other. It is werid though, when i try to push-stream a song to the Xbox 360, it shows up on the tv screen like it is trying to play, it shows the album cover, title, song length and everything. hmmmmm

I poked around the interwebz a bit, and it looks like the 360 has to have the Media Center Extender software enabled and configured. Not sure if Media Center actually needs to be running on the 360 or not, but it's something to try.

8 digit extender setup key for PS3

Good luck
Message to Loathe or any other PS3 user,

I am a novice with Windows 7. I want to run a slide show of my photos in my computer on the TV Screen using PS3. PS3 recognises that it is connected wirelessly to the Windows Media Center, but says it is not registered with the Media Center. The Media Center asked for a "8 digit Extender Setup Key" to be connected. What is this and how do I get this setup key?

Message to Loathe or any other PS3 user,

I am a novice with Windows 7. I want to run a slide show of my photos in my computer on the TV Screen using PS3. PS3 recognises that it is connected wirelessly to the Windows Media Center, but says it is not registered with the Media Center. The Media Center asked for a "8 digit Extender Setup Key" to be connected. What is this and how do I get this setup key?

that 8 digit number is something you get when connecting your xbox to ur pc! it shows up on ur tv screen!

I poked around the interwebz a bit, and it looks like the 360 has to have the Media Center Extender software enabled and configured. Not sure if Media Center actually needs to be running on the 360 or not, but it's something to try.
man i have looked everywhere for info on this issue. but it is almost like i am the only one who is having this problem. also yes you do have to have the xbox in WMC mode otherwise you dont get the "play to" opition. bummer this feature looks to be just what i need. ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREAT TO ALL WHO ARE READING THIS!!!!!

I tried setting it up to test it myself, but I never could get the "Play to" option to appear, at all.

I tried setting it up to test it myself, but I never could get the "Play to" option to appear, at all.
i can probaly help you with that. i can't push stream anything, not movies or music, and it is really pmo! I need some clarifacation that the feature even works right now, on the RC 7100 x 64. Or do i have to unlock my xbox somehow because it says it's locked and cannot be controlled. hmmmmm. but i can play everything off of my computer through the xbox. something is preventing the "push" part of the push streaming. just see the attachment

Last edited:
Please?

Ok i did finally get the push streaming to work! So tell me where you are having problems and I will be glad to help. Remember this though, the xbox has to be connected to your PC in Windows Media Center mode to work properly. Type in media streaming in your search and make sure you have the feature enabled. Hope that helps, if not just let me know you are having problems and I will help you.

I've already got both standard media sharing and WMC Extender functionality enabled and working on the 360. I thought I followed the steps correctly to enable push streaming, but the "Play to" option never appears in any context menus.

I've already got both standard media sharing and WMC Extender functionality enabled and working on the 360. I thought I followed the steps correctly to enable push streaming, but the "Play to" option never appears in any context menus.
so you do not have the "play to" option in WMP12 or when you right click an MP3?? hmmmm. i can tell you this, I got mine to work yesterday by messing with the sharing settings pertaining to homegroup, even though I don't have any other computers in a homegroup. I cannot remember exactly what made the "play to" finally work with my xbox. I was trying everything. But it was something to do with the sharing settings. see if you can locate this screen in the attachment and make sure that media sharing is on..... if still no "play to" option...let me know. oh i ment to say i diffently always had the "play to" option in wmp12, but it was grayed out. so if you don't see that then something is diffently wrong.......

Last edited:
Back