Windows 8 please,is it worth it to upgrade from windows7 to windows8

codicote

Dear sir

please i need your help.i have windows7 64bit,running perfectly well,with a lot of old games such as:

(command and conquer renegade,pariah,unreal tournament,call of duty old one(united offensive,,and the new one,medal of honor old and new games,crysis,crysis warhead,crysis2,crysis3,far cry3,Bioshock infinite)

will the old games works with windows 8(please i don't want any problem or any error.if it caused problem i would rather stay with window7 64bit.

i don't care about touchscreen,i want to use window8 normally with mouse and keyboard(can i do that)?

can you please send me a link to check on microsoft website,which software is incompatible with windows8 as well

i hope to receive your reply about the games,and if i can use my pc normally without touchscreen.

thank you for your help so much

My kindest regards
codicote

Hi, (sorry, I don't know your name)

I will answer your questions:

1. YES, you can use you PC very nicely for Windows 8 w/out Touchscreen

2. Here's the link to Windows 8 info - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/meet#t1=livetiles

3. MOST things that run on Windows 7 run on Windows 8. MOST, meaning almost all.

4. Largely what we hear is that games run even better on 8 than they do on 7.

5. In answer to your thread title (please, is it worth it to upgrade from windows7 to windows8)... short answer, YES!

6. The Microsoft site may not tell you what games will run in Windows 8. Go to the game's web site for such info.

Cheers,
Drew

Dear Drew

Thank you so much for your reply.

My name is Habib,is backed

please,which one is better upgrading to windows8,or fresh install from scratch windows8,but i hate install all the programs again?

-i have Acronis true image 2013,and my pc :C: drive (windows operating system),is fully backed up with acronis true image.please,is there anyway to restore acronis true image with windows7)(,to the new windows8,rather than install windows8 from scratch(not upgrade)?

if so how please?

i hope to hear from very soon.

my kindest regards
habib

please,which one is better upgrading to windows8,or fresh install from scratch windows8,but i hate install all the programs again?

Definitely a clean install.

We have seen lot's of users posting with issues after an upgrade so try and clean install if you can.
I'm an avid gamer and most games will run fine, If they don't often compatibility mode will do the trick. :)

IMO, no, it's not worth it to upgrade a machine running Win 7 to Win 8. I'm not one of those Win 8 bashers, I have a laptop that came with Win 8 and I have no issues with it. I think if your machine is running fine with Win 7 there is no compelling reason to upgrade, at the same time, I don't see any reason to hesitate when purchasing a new computer with Win 8 pre-installed.

I am an avid supporter and daily user of all Windows 8 products (RT and WP8) and would have to agree with strollin, the upgrade isn't necessarily worth it for someone who isn't having any issues with their existing installation. Some people don't mind it, but others absolutely hate the learning curve associated with Windows 8 (or anything new for that matter...). Most apps and games that are compatible with Windows 7 will also work in Windows 8, but that's no guarantee, especially with older games. For applications however, you can run the Windows Upgrade Advisor on your existing installation for a compatibility report. Grab it from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Dear sir

please i need your help.i have windows7 64bit,running perfectly well,with a lot of old games such as:

(command and conquer renegade,pariah,unreal tournament,call of duty old one(united offensive,,and the new one,medal of honor old and new games,crysis,crysis warhead,crysis2,crysis3,far cry3,Bioshock infinite)

will the old games works with windows 8(please i don't want any problem or any error.if it caused problem i would rather stay with window7 64bit.

i don't care about touchscreen,i want to use window8 normally with mouse and keyboard(can i do that)?

can you please send me a link to check on microsoft website,which software is incompatible with windows8 as well

i hope to receive your reply about the games,and if i can use my pc normally without touchscreen.

thank you for your help so much

My kindest regards
codicote
stay with windows 7. I hate windows 8. I am not a novice, but 8 is like having a cheap tablet. Doesn't matter what you are doing, the screen swipes back and forth. Unless I just have gotten a bad computer, which is entirely possible.

IMO, no, it's not worth it to upgrade a machine running Win 7 to Win 8. I'm not one of those Win 8 bashers, I have a laptop that came with Win 8 and I have no issues with it. I think if your machine is running fine with Win 7 there is no compelling reason to upgrade, at the same time, I don't see any reason to hesitate when purchasing a new computer with Win 8 pre-installed.
How do you get your windows 8 screen to stop swiping when you are doing other things. Glad you aren't having this issue and it would help me greatly if you could give me tips on making mine stop interfering with everything else.

Definitely a clean install.

We have seen lot's of users posting with issues after an upgrade so try and clean install if you can.
I'm an avid gamer and most games will run fine, If they don't often compatibility mode will do the trick. :)
How do you get your screen to stay on the games? I can't get mine to stay anywhere. It switches every few seconds.

Hi, (sorry, I don't know your name)

I will answer your questions:

1. YES, you can use you PC very nicely for Windows 8 w/out Touchscreen

2. Here's the link to Windows 8 info - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/meet#t1=livetiles

3. MOST things that run on Windows 7 run on Windows 8. MOST, meaning almost all.

4. Largely what we hear is that games run even better on 8 than they do on 7.

5. In answer to your thread title (please, is it worth it to upgrade from windows7 to windows8)... short answer, YES!

6. The Microsoft site may not tell you what games will run in Windows 8. Go to the game's web site for such info.

Cheers,
Drew
HEy drew. This is linda. How do you get the screen to stay put on the games and not swipe (I don't have a touch screen) back to the windows 8 home screen. I have a laptop.

Last edited:
HEy drew. This is linda. How do you get the screen to stay put on the games and not swipe (I don't have a touch screen) back to the windows 8 home screen. I have a laptop.
Do you have a laptop? The touchpad may have certain areas that are designated to bring up certain features such as the start screen or charms menu.

Some people have had perfectly fine success doing the Upgrade BUT, clean install is the more recommended approach. The bit of work installing things is generally worth it.

And, yes, it IS worth moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Win8 is the better of the 2 systems. As was stated most everything that runs on 7 will run of 8; compatibility mode may sometimes be needed. Games often are even better on Windows 8 due to its superior technology.

Windows 8 is easy to use & I can offer you some tips & tricks which make it even easier.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg .1

Do you have a laptop? The touchpad may have certain areas that are designated to bring up certain features such as the start screen or charms menu.

Try using a mouse. As was suggested, may be the touchpad making this happen. Or size the game so you are not hitting corners. Ross does a lot of gaming; idea person to reply to you about this... (kemical)

Cheers,
Drew

How do you get your screen to stay on the games? I can't get mine to stay anywhere. It switches every few seconds.

That doesn't sound right at all... When you say the screen switches, what does it switch to? Back to the desktop or a different application?

Lapatop. It doesn't matter where I use the touchpad, it still goes from screen to screen. If you want charms to come up, they won't. I have to get into a game to get to to appear.

Linda,

Win+C will bring up Charms. Check to see if you have settings and adjustments, including sensitivity, for the Touchpad. And, again, I suggest trying a mouse & see how that goes.

Cheers,
Drew

Back