Windows 7 Preforming a backup to prepare for Windows 7. Need help and suggestions please!

AkoCham

I want to perform a backup of my data partition on my current XP system but truth be told, I have never actually performed a backup before.

Now, all of my Data files are on my D:\ partition and I have a Seagate 1TB external hard drive. I have the obvious plan of backing up all of my D:\ files to the External HDD but I am just confused as to how to go about this correctly.

Should I use the built in backup utility in Windows XP or should I just Copy and Paste all of my files from my D:\ drive to the External HDD? Does it even matter?

Thanks.

You can copy and paste them - you can then see exactly what you are doing as you go along.

Not sure what you intend about your mail , browser bookmarks and so on- depends what mail client/browser you are using now - and what you intend to use on 7.

You might look at a couple of excellent free apps. to help with all that :

Link Removed - Invalid URL

KLS SOFT - Professional Software Solutions

You can copy and paste them - you can then see exactly what you are doing as you go along.

Not sure what you intend about your mail , browser bookmarks and so on- depends what mail client/browser you are using now - and what you intend to use on 7.

You might look at a couple of excellent free apps. to help with all that :

Link Removed - Invalid URL

KLS SOFT - Professional Software Solutions

Yeah I figured it wouldn't matter if I just used copy and paste. As far as browser bookmarks and such goes, I was just planning on documenting all of my bookmarks before I installed and just manually putting everything back in there. Not to mention I only use web-based e-mail so that won't be a big deal.

Also, do those free apps have any advantage over using XP's backup utility?

Ahhh I see. Well I just downloaded GFI and am about to perform a backup of my Data drive.

One thing I don't get though. If I use GFI to perform a backup do I need GFI again when I install Windows 7 to restore all of my files?

It backs them up either without compression - i.e. just copies them , or with compression into a .zip .

You don't need any special software to access those - windows explorer will do.

It's just as easy, and more fun - to use GFI to restore, as well.

It is probably a good idea to use it to make periodic file/folder backups , preferably onto an external HD ( you can schedule it) - you never know when you will grateful you have done that.

It's an even beter idea to make image backups of your o/s partition - you could use the built in Windows Backup on 7 - but other apps. are better imo.

Macrium Reflect free is excellent:

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom