Print Formatted Wavy heavy Underlines

Does your Printer works as well under Windows 10 as it did with Windows 7?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncertained

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeorgeK

Honorable Member
I format some of the words in my documents, in Word 2010, with a heavy wavy Underline. It shows on the formatted page but not in the preview page, where it shows and prints a regular underline. I chatted with Brother's, MFC-9340CDW printer, and they say that it is Microsoft problem. I can convert the file to a PDF and it will print the heavy wavy underlines.

I have updated the firmware, driver and Windows 10. I also did DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth; the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow, it revealed some fixes, but did not change the print.

In Windows 7 it worked great and Windows 8 it worked well, but not in Windows 10.

GeorgeK

" I format some of the words in my documents, in Word 2010, with a heavy wavy Underline. It shows on the formatted page but not in the preview page, where it shows and prints a regular underline … I can convert the file to a PDF and it will print the heavy wavy underlines. "

from what i understand … format-page displays wavy … preview-page does not display/print wavy. when converting word-2010 to pdf-file … pdf-file does display/print wavy.

two options come to mind, GeorgeK.
  1. save/close your document. open it back up … highlight each occurrence of wavy-underline and set the accompanying text to "outlines" … then simply print the file as normal. do not save the file … this way you can go back and edit with document's full latency.
  2. it's rather obvious … simply convert the word-2010 to pdf-format for printing. pdf files are accepted without prejudice … everyone uses the *.pdf file format in today's business world. not only that … pdf-files can be edited and can be converted to other formats as well.
keep following me, george. for instance … if you need to have office-depot print a 100pg ledger/dossier or 100 copies of your boss's latest resume … chances are "nil" that office-depot would have a working copy of word-2010 software at their station. even if they do … highly unlike they'd have the fonts you used. whereas … if you toss them a usb-drive with a pdf-file … bam!!!

a couple caveats … which you don't really need to worry about. first, is that viruses can latch on to a hook hidden within the coding of a pdf-file. second, changing from one color-mode to another color-mode sometimes gets a bit dicey (refusal to give pristine renderings).

however … from what i am reading in your words, GeorgeK … your output is geared mostly toward the administrative environment … and not intended to supplant the reprographics industry.

you could always trouble-shoot a bit more:
  • try different font (mono-space, sans, serif … true-type, open-type, post-script).
  • make sure the color is correct (fill/stroke).
  • has microsoft updated since you installed word-2010? if so … you might wish to uninstall/reinstall/repair word-2010. create restore-point if you take this route.
  • you might also consider rollback current print-driver to the previous version. create restore-point if you take this route.
ref:
How to Make Outline Text in Word

Last edited:
from what i understand … format-page displays wavy … preview-page does not display/print wavy. when converting word-2010 to pdf-file … pdf-file does display/print wavy.

two options come to mind, GeorgeK.
  1. save/close your document. open it back up … highlight each occurrence of wavy-underline and set the accompanying text to "outlines" … then simply print the file as normal. do not save the file … this way you can go back and edit with document's full latency.
  2. it's rather obvious … simply convert the word-2010 to pdf-format for printing. pdf files are accepted without prejudice … everyone uses the *.pdf file format in today's business world. not only that … pdf-files can be edited and can be converted to other formats as well.
keep following me, george. for instance … if you need to have office-depot print a 100pg ledger/dossier or 100 copies of your boss's latest resume … chances are "nil" that office-depot would have a working copy of word-2010 software at their station. even if they do … highly unlike they'd have the fonts you used. whereas … if you toss them a usb-drive with a pdf-file … bam!!!

a couple caveats … which you don't really need to worry about. first, is that viruses can latch on to a hook hidden within the coding of a pdf-file. second, changing from one color-mode to another color-mode sometimes gets a bit dicey (refusal to give pristine renderings).

however … from what i am reading in your words, GeorgeK … your output is geared mostly toward the administrative environment … and not intended to supplant the reprographics industry.

you could always trouble-shoot a bit more:
  • try different font (mono-space, sans, serif … true-type, open-type, post-script).
  • make sure the color is correct (fill/stroke).
  • has microsoft updated since you installed word-2010? if so … you might wish to uninstall/reinstall/repair word-2010. create restore-point if you take this route.
  • you might also consider rollback current print-driver to the previous version. create restore-point if you take this route.
ref:
How to Make Outline Text in Word

The PDF file, seems to be the best option, so far, for a good portion of what I do. However, I have not find a way to make a booklet (One 8X11 double sided a four page booklet, I only need eight 8, 12 page booklets, using a PDF file, the booklet in PDF doesn't work for this, or it it does I cannot figure it out.). I did download a couple of Font making software, but these seem they are too time consuming, to learn to use it, then make it look good in the document.

type "tutorial to create booklet from pdf files" into google … lots of links for you to try. i understand you may feel perplexed at times, george … tutorials sometime give additional insight. making your own fonts … really, i have no idea why you want. best of wishes in your projects, sir.

Also, it might be worth testing with an HP, Canon, or Xerox laser printer that supports full XML Postscript printing capabilities. If you don't have access to one of these, you can check with your local Fed-Ex Kinkos store, as almost all of them have rental PCs that connect to printers such as these (HP, Xerox, Canon). If the result is as expected on the Fed-Ex store printers, then you have a problem with your PC and you'll need to repair it. Reinstall of Windows OS (after checking integrity of your hard drive) will usually resolve this. However, don't expect the Brother printer and driver to be capable of replicating the above mentioned high-end printers. Brother has lots of issues, especially with Postscript printing on both their inkjet and laser models. I sold Brothers for 5 years; and they are sort of shoddy in that regard in my experience.:headache:

If you take the time to run this test, it will tell you whether your printer is the problem or your PC (software corruption of some sort either at the OS or application level).

Worth $15 to go try it at Fed-Ex Kinkos. FYI, they have stores in all 50 states if you live in the US or Canada, so unless you live in the Yukon or something, there's probably a store near you within a 200 mile drive.

Best of luck,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Great! Glad you figured it out.:up: And thanks very much for sharing the final solution here so others can try your solution on a similar problem.

<<<BBJ>>>

Back