Printer not working for normal users

Chxiz

Hi, i have a problem with printer / printserver
I have added a printer in my printserver, but when i try to print anyting from a domain user, nothing is coming out. But when i log on with admin, then the printer works. On sicurity on the pritenr it says that everyone can use it. And when i try to add like a user from AD or a group i get this message "An object (User, Group or built-in principal) with the following name cannot be found: "username". Check the selected objetc types and locatons for accurasy and ensure thet you have typed the object name correctly, or remove this object from the selection"

1706685975373.png

It seems like there may be a permissions issue with the printer for domain users. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check Printer Permissions:
- Open the printer properties on the print server.
- Navigate to the Security tab.
- Verify that the "Everyone" group has the necessary permissions (e.g. Print, Manage Printers).

2. Check Group Policy Settings:
- Run `gpresult /h report.html` on the client machine to generate a Group Policy report.
- Check if there are any policies applied that might be affecting printer access for domain users.
- Pay particular attention to policies related to printer deployment and security settings.

3. Verify AD User/Group Existence:
- Double-check the usernames or group names when adding them to the printer's security settings.
- Ensure that the users/groups actually exist in Active Directory.
- Check for any typos or special characters that might be causing the error message.

4. Restart the Print Spooler Service:
- Open the Services console on the print server.
- Locate the "Print Spooler" service and restart it.
- This can sometimes resolve issues with printer permissions not taking effect immediately.

5. Test with a Different Printer:
- If possible, try adding a different printer to the print server and see if the issue persists.
- This can help determine if the problem is specific to this particular printer or a more general issue with printer permissions.

6. Update Printer Drivers:
- Make sure you have the latest printer drivers installed on the print server.
- Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause printing issues.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please provide more details about your environment, such as the Windows Server version, printer make and model, and any other relevant information that might help further diagnose the problem.

It seems like there may be a permissions issue with the printer for domain users. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

- Verify that the "Everyone" group has the necessary permissions (e.g. Print, Manage Printers).

- Run `gpresult /h report.html` on the client machine to generate a Group Policy report.
- Check if there are any policies applied that might be affecting printer access for domain users.
- Pay particular attention to policies related to printer deployment and security settings.

- Double-check the usernames or group names when adding them to the printer's security settings.
- Check for any typos or special characters that might be causing the error message.

- Locate the "Print Spooler" service and restart it.
- This can sometimes resolve issues with printer permissions not taking effect immediately.

- If possible, try adding a different printer to the print server and see if the issue persists.
- This can help determine if the problem is specific to this particular printer or a more general issue with printer permissions.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, please provide more details about your environment, such as the Windows Server version, printer make and model, and any other relevant information that might help further diagnose the problem.
Iv'e tryed almost everyting, but i dont have another printer to test with. The windows version i use is Windows server 2019. And the printer i use is a HP LaserJet 4250dtn.

Iv'e tryed almost everyting, but i dont have another printer to test with. The windows version i use is Windows server 2019. And the printer i use is a HP LaserJet 4250dtn.
Since you've tried various troubleshooting steps and are still facing issues with printing, there are a few more things you can do to resolve the problem:

1. Disable SNMP:
- Go to the Ports tab.
- Select the printer's port and click on "Configure Port".
- Uncheck the "SNMP Status Enabled" option and click OK.
- Restart the Print Spooler service on the print server.

2. Update Printer Firmware:
- Check the HP website for any firmware updates available for your specific model of printer.
- If updates are available, download and install them on the print server.

3. Try Different Printer Drivers:
- Download the latest printer drivers from the HP website for your printer model and Windows Server 2019.
- Remove the existing printer from the print server.
- Install the updated drivers and re-add the printer.

4. Temporarily Disable Antivirus/Firewall:
- Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software on the print server and client machines.
- Test if the domain users can now print correctly.
- If printing works, adjust the antivirus/firewall settings to allow printing.

5. Verify DNS and Printer Name Resolution:
- Ensure that the printer's DNS settings are correct and that it can be resolved by hostname.
- Try printing using the printer's IP address instead of the hostname to eliminate any potential name resolution issues.

6. Check Event Viewer:
- Review the Event Viewer logs on both the print server and client machines for any relevant error messages or warnings related to printing.
- Look for any errors that might point to the root cause of the problem.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be helpful to reach out to HP support or consult with your IT administrator for further assistance.

- Locate the "Print Spooler" service and restart it shipping label printer.

I have a Win10 computer with two printers configured. One user cannot print to one of the printers. I have set up another user in that computer and it has no problem printing. I have the print queue displayed and when the other user tries to print, say, a Word document, the print job shows up momentarily in the queue and then disappears without the job actually getting to the printer. This user can print reliably to another printer in my network but not the one the user would like to use, the one in the room with the computer. I've spent hours watching HP and MS support people deleting and reinstalling the printer's software and driver without success. This started happening about a month ago right after a Windows update. One MS support person reinstalled Windows over the old (without removing apps or data) and that cured the problem for this user. (Seems to me to be like using a sledge hammer to fix a small problem) However, along came another Windows update and the problem reappeared. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Ok, now I feel better but I still need to

fix this problem. The printer manufacturer support folks threw in the towel and punted to MS. The MS engineer suggested that the unfortunate user's profile is somehow corrupted? I'm trying to avoid just creating a new user account because of all the configuring needed, mapping drives, MS Office account, etc. although I do have the user's data backed up a couple of times.

Does anyone have any idea how to r.epair this software issue?

I have a Win10 computer with two printers configured. One user cannot print to one of the printers. I have set up another user in that computer and it has no problem printing. I have the print queue displayed and when the other user tries to print, say, a Word document, the print job shows up momentarily in the queue and then disappears without the job actually getting to the printer. This user can print reliably to another printer in my network but not the one the user would like to use, the one in the room with the computer. I've spent hours watching HP and MS support people deleting and reinstalling the printer's software and driver without success. This started happening about a month ago right after a Windows update. One MS support person reinstalled Windows over the old (without removing apps or data) and that cured the problem for this user. (Seems to me to be like using a sledge hammer to fix a small problem) However, along came another Windows update and the problem reappeared. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Ok, now I feel better but I still need to

fix this problem. The printer manufacturer support folks threw in the towel and punted to MS. The MS engineer suggested that the unfortunate user's profile is somehow corrupted? I'm trying to avoid just creating a new user account because of all the configuring needed, mapping drives, MS Office account, etc. although I do have the user's data backed up a couple of times.

Does anyone have any idea how to r.epair this software issue?
I understand the frustration you're experiencing with this printer issue. Since you've already tried reinstalling the printer's software and driver without success, and the problem seems to be specific to one user account, it's possible that the user's profile might be corrupted. Here are a few steps you can try to repair the user profile:

1. Create a New User Profile:
- Create a new user account on the Windows 10 computer.
- Log in to the new user account and see if the printer works without any issues.
- If the printer works fine in the new user account, you can proceed with migrating the user's data and settings to the new profile.

2. Transfer User Data and Settings:
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where the user's data is stored (e.g., Documents, Desktop, etc.).
- Copy the necessary files and folders to a temporary location or an external drive.
- Once the data is backed up, log in to the new user account you created earlier.
- Copy the files and folders from the temporary location or external drive to the corresponding locations in the new user account.

3. Reconfigure Applications:
- After transferring the user's data, you may need to reinstall and reconfigure any applications that were previously installed under the original user account.
- This includes mapping drives, configuring MS Office account, and any other application-specific settings.

By creating a new user profile and migrating the user's data and settings, you can avoid the need to reconfigure everything from scratch while potentially resolving any profile corruption issues. However, please note that this process might require some time and attention to detail.

If the problem persists even after creating a new user profile, it might be helpful to consider other factors such as specific software conflicts, Windows updates, or potential hardware issues that could be causing the problem. In such cases, consulting with IT support or reaching out to Microsoft for further assistance may be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom