Windows 7 Printers and Devices stalls

jld0077

Honorable Member
I have Win7 RC1 running on three boxes -- one desktop and two identical Dell Latitude D830 laptops. The 32-bit RC1 laptop and the 64-bit RC1 desktop open Devices and Printers without issue. One laptop runs 64-bit RC1. On that one, Devices and Printers takes forever to run the green bar across, and eventually stalls. I can't modify or delete a device, although I can install a new one.

The only difference I can tell between this box and the others is a connection to a networked printer. However, I can't delete that printer definition, since I can't get past the Devices and Printers stalling issue.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Really weird, when selecting Devices and Printers (Device Stage) in the menu the progress bar would take forever and never display anything - just blank.

Finally discovered it was actually a bluetooth issue in services. I don't even know why I looked there - -

THE FIX at least for me..

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual) --

This fixed my issue, hopefully yours as well..

Originally posted by slappydog

Bluetooth seems to have done it

Wow -- that seems to have done the trick. So Win7 searches for Bluetooth devices, even when none are installed or attached. Interesting.

Glad you thought to look there, and thanks!

Re: Bluetooth seems to have done it

Many thanks. This is still helping people fix the same problem in August 2010.

Really weird, when selecting Devices and Printers (Device Stage) in the menu the progress bar would take forever and never display anything - just blank.

Finally discovered it was actually a bluetooth issue in services. I don't even know why I looked there - -

THE FIX at least for me..

Click Start button, type "services" into the search program and files box. This brings up a list in the menu, select Services. This should open a list of local services on your system.., Find 'Bluetooth Service" and make sure it has started, right click and set to 'automatic' (mine was already set), Select "Bluetooth Support Service" and start, set to automatic (mine was set on manual) --

This fixed my issue, hopefully yours as well..

Originally posted by slappydog

Amazing! And here it is December, 2011, and this still remains a "pop up out of the blue" problem! Your fix just worked for me, but I would sure like to know why the problem just "appears" with no warning?????? I think Windows 7 continues to have these mini hiccups that only the lay seem to be able to fix! Thanks so much for your help and hope you are having a wonder holiday season!

Amazing! And here it is December, 2011, and this still remains a "pop up out of the blue" problem! Your fix just worked for me, but I would sure like to know why the problem just "appears" with no warning?????? I think Windows 7 continues to have these mini hiccups that only the lay seem to be able to fix! Thanks so much for your help and hope you are having a wonder holiday season!

A strange update. After I did the fix again, all has been fine. But just recently, it happened again! Went back in and sure enough, Bluetooth Support Service was again disabled! I had to reset to automatic and also manually start. It's working again, but why am I having to reset again.....and again? I had used my xps printer (not a real external printer...just something my xps computer has to allow me to print to my computer for saving purposes) this week to save something to my computer, but I wouldn't have thought that'd mess things up. :confused:

Thx!!! This info helped me, as of May 10, 2012. I just enabled "Bluetooth Support Services" and set it to "Automatic", then reboot. Bingo - it worked! You would think this bug would be fixed by now. This also fixed the USB icon in the system tray. I was not able to right-click on the icon to saftly "Eject USB Massive Storage Device".

Thx!!! This info helped me, as of May 10, 2012. I just enabled "Bluetooth Support Services" and set it to "Automatic", then reboot. Bingo - it worked! You would think this bug would be fixed by now. This also fixed the USB icon in the system tray. I was not able to right-click on the icon to saftly "Eject USB Massive Storage Device".

I can right-click on the "Eject....." icon and it says it's safe to eject, but then if I put my disk back in, it's not recognized! I must restart my computer in order for the disk to be recognized! Any suggestions?????

Hmm? I've never seen an Eject icon that says "Safe to eject" for CD\DVD. Normally you click on "Eject" and your CD/DVD should eject. You not talking about a flash drive are you? I've had problems many times for different reasons, especially when I had this old computer with XP on it. My guess would be that your CD/DVD drive is going out or your disk(s) are getting to scratched-up or both. Also, if these disk your are using was formated or burned from a different computer, that can be a possible problem too. If you have just recenley burn a brand new good quality cd or dvd using the same computer and same burning software, and still having this problem, then I would suspect a CD/DVD hardware problem. It is very common for CD/DvD to wear out, depending how offten you use abuse them. You can try to unintall it from "Device Manager" then reboot, but I've never had any luck with that. If you have more than one burning software on your PC, you can try uninstalling one of them, in-case there is a compatiblity issue. I've tried that method too before with no luck. I use to buy Lite-On CD/DVD drives, but they would not last long for me. I'm now trying out Plexor CD/DVD drives and see how that does for me with my new PC I've had now for 1 month. Some CD/DVD drive don't like certain type disks or don't like old operating systems or out-date computers, regardless what O.S you have.

Back