Windows 7 Problem with DNS settings when using anything that needs internet.

GT284

So whenever I try and load any web page, doesn't matter what web browser I use I get a error message that says DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG, I have looked at every solution to fix this but nothing has worked permanently. Every time I try Network and Sharing Center > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Obtain DNS automatically, this fixes it however only for a minute or so and then the settings reset back to normal and I cant load anything until I change them again. This becomes extremely annoying and makes downloading anything impossible because I have to sit and keep changing the settings so that it doesnt stop the download.
I am on Windows 7 and updating to any other windows is impossible with this issue.
PLEASE HELP! :(

I found a link with 6 methods that could be tried - they describe it better than I can: How to Fix 'DNS_Probe_Finished_Bad_Config' Error
Please look into it and tell us if one of them works for you. I am not too happy with method 2, but first let see what this brings you.

A few questions:
- When did this start, was it after some update?
- Have you tried different browsers like Chrome / MS IE?
- Are there more computers connected to the same network and do they have the same errors?
- Have you ever tried restarting (power down and up) your modem/router?

Last edited:
just a couple questions … so the others have more to go on when they help you:
  • when did this first start happening?
  • around that same time, did you install any new av software?
  • i assume your trusted av gives you clean bill of health?
  • you operate the pc with admin-privs?
i understood you have looked on the internet at other fixes … here's one also you could refer to:
Fixed: DNS Probe Finished Bad Config error in Chrome | ValueStuffz
Best Fixing 'DNS Prob Finished Bad Config’ Error

Last edited:
I found a link with 6 methods that could be tried - they describe it better than I can: had to remove the link so i could reply
Please look into it and tell us if one of them works for you. I am not too happy with method 2, but first let see what this brings you.

A few questions:
- When did this start, was it after some update?
- Have you tried different browsers like Chrome / MS IE?
- Are there more computers connected to the same network and do they have the same errors?
- Have you ever tried restarting (power down and up) your modem/router?
-I cant say exactly when this started happening as it was a while ago, however I do know it wasn't after a update
-Yes I have tried other browsers and they all have the same issue
-Every other computer/phone that is connected to the network has no issue with this.
-Yes, I have restarted it many times.
And with the link that you gave me, I tried Method 1 with no success, however Method 2 was the one I was trying to describe in my original post, this is the method that works however only for a minute or two. I can change the settings like it says however after a while it changes back to the old ones, like it doesn't save the settings I just entered.

Try using 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as your DNS server (It's google's public DNS servers).

Also, go into command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

If you do it while having this issue, it will tell your what DNS servers It's trying to use. If you do it while the internet is working, you can manually input that address as a static DNS.

Try using 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as your DNS server (It's google's public DNS servers).

Also, go into command prompt and type: ipconfig /all

If you do it while having this issue, it will tell your what DNS servers It's trying to use. If you do it while the internet is working, you can manually input that address as a static DNS.
Changing the DNS settings to the ones that you have said works. However it still gives me the same problem that after a few minutes of using them they change (without me doing anything) back to the settings that do not work.

.....Every time I try Network and Sharing Center > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Obtain DNS automatically, this fixes it however only for a minute .....

...however Method 2 was the one I was trying to describe in my original post, this is the method that works however only for a minute or two. I can change the settings like it says however after a while it changes back.....

For my understanding. if you want to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as primary and secondary DNS server, the option 'Obtain DNS server automatically" should NOT be activated, the mark must be removed from this option! From previous quotes I think I read that you put a mark on that option.

Could you check if the DNS servers used by the other computers in your network are using the same IP addresses as the 'failing wild addresses' in the computer with the problem? You can use an 'ipconfig /all' command in a command window to check this.

Do you mean that, with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your servers, that they suddenly stop working and they're still set, or do you mean that they are reverted back to automatic? In any case, try scanning for spyware, etc. You can also uninstall your network adapter in device manager, then Scan for Hardware Changes, which will reinstall it immediately.

Do you mean that, with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your servers, that they suddenly stop working and they're still set, or do you mean that they are reverted back to automatic? In any case, try scanning for spyware, etc. You can also uninstall your network adapter in device manager, then Scan for Hardware Changes, which will reinstall it immediately.
With anything that I put, for example if I mark the "Obtain DNS server automatically" or use the numbers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 it fixes it for a minute or so and then they are reverted back to automatic.

Can you look in another computer in your network, it should have an automatically obtained and correct DNS IP address.
Is that DNS IP address the same as on the failing computer?
If it is not the same, it looks like some malware tries to divert some of your network trafic.
If it is the same, could you try pinging 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
- Pres Windows key and R together
- Type cmd and a Cmd window pops up.
- Type in that window ping 8.8.8.8 and see if a reply comes back
- Do the same for 8.8.4.4

Henk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom