Windows 7 Problem with (legal) Windows 7 Activation

Joe Blow

I supplied a customer with a new PC system and installed an new OEM version Windows 7 Home Premium.

After installation and before delivery to the customer I activated windows. My customer is now telling me that the machine is asking for activation via entry of the product key.

When the product key is entered (key taken from COA which I fixed to the machine) the software says the product key is invalid. This cannot be true because the same key was used to install Win 7 in the first place. I wonder if this is because the OEM version of Windows 7 I purchased had not got service pack 1 on the DVD when I purchased it. SP1 was installed when I did all of the updates before delivery of the machine.

Maybe I forgot to activate the installation before delivery and so the installation has gone beyond the 30 day activation period. If this is the case why won't the installation recognise the valid product key?

No hardware changes have been made.

How can I re-activate the software?

My first thought would be to double check the date, time and regional (time zone) settings and make sure nothing strange is going on with that.
Then I would suggest using the telephone activation method, which should allow you to complete the activation process again if necessary.

If you use an OEM disk for installation, you have to use the key that came with that disk - not the COA key. If you want to use the COA key, use a full retail version.

Here is the MS activation center: Activation and registration of a Microsoft product

Huh??
The Certificate Of Authenticity is what the OP says that he affixed to the computer from the OEM package after installing same.
All OEMs come with said sticker. See COA and Hologram

Huh??
The Certificate Of Authenticity is what the OP says that he affixed to the computer from the OEM package after installing same.
All OEMs come with said sticker. See COA and Hologram
key taken from COA which I fixed to the machine
This is what the OP said - I am sorry that I misunderstood. I read it as COA from the machine. Should stop speed reading. You are, of course, right.

This is what the OP said - I am sorry that I misunderstood. I read it as COA from the machine. Should stop speed reading. You are, of course, right.
Not a problem what so ever. We all do it. I've found myself repeating almost word for word something someone else has already said for that very same reason, skim reading rather than reading like I really should.:redface:

When I turned up to help my customer I found they had read the product key incorrectly. They had mistaken a 'B' for an '8' very easily done when the text used on the COA is tiny at best. Even under a magnifying glass it was hard to tell the difference. Once I had discovered the problem the software activated without further problems.

Thanks for the followup Joe. Glad you got it sorted out.
Yes we've probably all had that same problem with the small print on the COA product key.
Regards
Randy

The Microsoft License for use of Windows has always been limited to allowing installation on only a single machine.

Back
Top Bottom