Windows 8 Problem with Mobile Device Center

pewe

I have an HTC touch Diamond phone running Windows Mobile 6.5.

I tried to Sync it with Windows 8 the other day for the first time since installing Win8.

When I connected the phone to the laptop (USB) the first time WMDC opened the setup window then after configuring the options I was able to browse the phone content.

However when I disconnected then re-connected the phone, although Win8 noticed the USB connection, WMDC never launched to sync, and when I manually launched it it reported the phone as 'disconnected'.

Now the only way I can get WMDC to recognise the connection is to shut it down, then re-open it then plug in the phone.

Has anyone any thoughts as to what the problem migh be??.

Thanks

My first thought would be related to how you removed the phone. Was it set to Safe removal using the USB icon, or did you just disconnect it?

You might try another USB port.

In Device Manager, on some of the USB entries, possibly the Root Hubs, there might be a reset port option on the properties-Advanced tab. If there is, you could try that.

Sorry Saltgrass - have been away from the PC for a while - ill health!!

Anyway, I tired everything to no avail.
Nothing happens when I plug in the phone, and even if I right click the device in sync center and try to open Mobile Device Centre nothing happens. I have to manually open Mobile Device Center from the start menu, then the phone is seen but still does not sync - I have to manually initiate the sync in the sync center window.

So for some reason in Windows 8 the launch of the device center does not work automatically when the phone is inserted in any usb port, and syncing has to be done manually.

I would start looking in an HTC forum for your exact problem. I'm betting some one else with your make/model phone has a similar problem if not the exact same problem posted. That's where I would start. It sounds more like to me a phone issue setting then a windows setting.

Thanks for the input bass - I have looked in various phone forums with no luck finding any answers.

I am dubious about it being a phone problem though - because it worked fine with Windows Vista and Windows 7 - it only stopped when I installed Windows 8. Further, the syncing works (as does file explorer) once the phone has been manually synced.
Windows recognises that a device has been plugged in to the usb port (it sounds the gong) it just doesn't launch WMDC to make connection.

Considering Windows Mobile was retired in 2010 when Windows Phone was released, this very well may be a compatibility issue. Have you tried running the device center in compatibility mode? The drivers may not be fully functional in Windows 8 regardless.

Thanks for the input Mitchell.
I did try that, with no benefit.
I'm not sure that it is the MDC that is at fault though - it launches and functions as it should if started manually.
I think it may be something to do with the OS.
Win8 recognises that a usb device is plugged in, but does not auto launch MDC - which may be because it does not recognise that the device is a phone - even though the drivers were installed when I first connected it.

I'm wondering if something in your autoplay settings has been altered. Have you checked in autoplay to see. Looking at mine, under devices I have none listed because I have none attached. Is the box ticked to use autoplay for all devices? Attach your device and then check and changes settings accordingly.

I'm wondering if something in your autoplay settings has been altered. Have you checked in autoplay to see. Looking at mine, under devices I have none listed because I have none attached. Is the box ticked to use autoplay for all devices? Attach your device and then check and changes settings accordingly.

Aha - When I look in Autoplay there are no devices listed. Even though the phone is connected and syncing in a manually launched MDC and it shows up in Device Manager under Portable Devices as well as Mobile Devices.
So I am totally stumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you afraid of the registry...if not look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE under software then for anything HTC and delete it, reboot and try connecting you phone and see what happens. Are there any required drivers from HTC for windows 8. Other then that dude I'm out of suggestions.

Thanks Bass.

No software for HTC installed (never ws on Win7 either), and no drivers should be needed other than MS ones.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Does Device Manager detect any sort of device as being connected? Some mobile devices can change their USB mode for connecting to a computer (used for service staff on warranty repairs, etc)

Does Device Manager detect any sort of device as being connected? Some mobile devices can change their USB mode for connecting to a computer (used for service staff on warranty repairs, etc)

As I mentioned earlier, the phone does show up in Device Manager under both Mobile and Portable devices - but MDC does not launch.

But here's the weird thing.
I use Thunderbird/Lightning for my e-mail/calendar, and for syncing those with the phone I have a program called Birdiesync which I had not installed since installing Win 8.

I installed it today and this is what's weird.
When I plug the phone in, after a short while Birdiesync launches, sees the phone and goes through the sync procedure BUT MDC still does not launch, and the Windows sync center still does not sync, reporting that the phone is disconnected - until I launch MDC manually.

Back