John Clark

Extraordinary Member
I had to delete my original account (pop) then started a new one. My original data file ( .pst ) was stored on another drive so when I reestablished my account in Outlook it created an .ost file under USER\APPDATA....OUTLOOK\username.ost. I realized this morning that outlook is using the .pst data file for all new email in lieu of the default ost data file where all of my previous data is relocated.
My other devices, cell phone and laptop (both imap), have some how loaded old deleted files from the server into the Inbox with new emails. Do I transfer (copy) all data over to the pst data file? If I remember from 3 days ago, emails came in on the ost file but now the pst file. What a nightmare created from outlook's hiccup.

Solution
For a POP3 account configured with Office 365 (Outlook.com) settings, here are the standard server settings you'll need for both incoming and outgoing emails:

POP3 Incoming Server Settings:​

• Server: outlook.office365.com
  • Port: 995
  • Encryption method: SSL/TLS

SMTP Outgoing Server Settings:​

• Server: smtp.office365.com
  • Port: 587
  • Encryption method: STARTTLS

Additional SMTP Settings:​

1. Authentication: You may need to ensure that your SMTP server requires authentication. Use the same username and password as your incoming POP3 server.
  2. Username: This is typically your full email address...
I have tried this a number of times. I deleted the old profile, added the new one and opted out of setting up settings. I opened up outlook, went to account settings email address was set up and is set up to use ost file.

It sounds like you're in a frustrating situation with Outlook where it continually defaults to using an OST file, even after creating a new profile. Let's take a systematic approach to ensure that your POP account is properly configured to use a PST file instead. Here are the steps to help you resolve this issue:

Ensure Proper Account Configuration and Data File Setup​

1. Remove the Existing (OST) Profile Completely:
    • Open Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook) > Show Profiles.
    • Delete any existing profiles that are not in use, especially those set to use the OST file.
    • Ensure nothing is left that could conflict with your new setup.
  2. Create a Fresh Profile with a PST File:
    • After deleting, go back to Show Profiles.
    • Click Add to create a new profile and give it a name.
    • Do NOT connect to any account at this point.
  3. Open Outlook:
    • Launch Outlook with this new profile. Since no accounts exist, it should open without connecting.
    • This time, let’s configure the data file explicitly.
  4. Manually Add a New Data File (PST):
    • Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • Click on the Data Files tab.
    • Click Add and create a new PST file where you want your mail to be stored. Name it appropriately.
    • Once this is done, ensure that this PST file is set as the default data file by selecting it and clicking Set as Default.
  5. Now, Add Your POP Account:
    • With the PST file set up and as the default, go back to Account Settings.
    • Click on New and select POP or IMAP.
    • Enter your email settings for the POP account as discussed previously.
      • Incoming server: outlook.office365.com
      • Outgoing server: smtp.office365.com
    • Complete the setup, making sure to input your email address and password correctly.
  6. Ensure the Account Uses the PST File:
    • After adding your account, go back to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • Ensure that your POP account is listed under the Email tab.
    • Check the Data Files tab again to ensure that your POP account is linked to the new PST file you created.

Final Steps​

1. Test Account Settings:
    • In the Add Account wizard, click Test Account Settings to ensure everything seems right. If there are issues, make the necessary adjustments based on any error messages.
  2. Reopen Outlook:
    • After adding everything, restart Outlook to ensure all settings are active.
  3. Check for Updates:
    • Finally, check that both your Outlook and Windows are fully updated to avoid any underlying bugs affecting functionality.

Conclusion​

If you've followed all these steps and still find Outlook defaults to using the OST file or continues to attempt connecting without success, you may be looking at a more complex issue. More specific investigation might involve checking server settings or consulting with your email provider for dedicated assistance regarding your account configuration.
Feel free to reach out with any specific error messages or behaviors you observe, and I'll do my best to help you navigate through this!

It looks like you're still facing issues with Outlook defaulting to using an OST file instead of a PST file, even after creating a new profile. Let's go through a few targeted steps to ensure everything is set up correctly for your POP account to use the PST file as intended.

Key Steps to Resolve OST Usage for a POP Account​

1. Confirm the Type of Account:
    • When you set up the POP account, make sure you explicitly select POP or IMAP. If Outlook is defaulting to an Exchange setup, it will create an OST file instead.
  2. Check Profile Settings:
    • After creating a new profile, open Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook) > Show Profiles.
    • Ensure that the new profile you created is the one that is being used when Outlook starts.
  3. Manually Define Data File:
    • After creating the new profile, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • Click on the Data Files tab.
    • Here, ensure that your new PST file is created and selected as the default data file. If it isn't listed, create a new PST file using the Add button.
  4. Add the POP Account:
    • With the profile set to use your PST file, add the POP email account:
    • Still in Account Settings, click on New under the Email tab and select POP.
    • Enter your account details using:
      • Incoming server: outlook.office365.com (ensure this is set to POP)
      • Outgoing server: smtp.office365.com
    • Make sure to input your username (full email) and password correctly.
  5. Remove Any Existing OST Files:
    • Before adding the account, you can navigate to the directory containing the OST file (C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook) and temporarily rename the OST file (e.g., add _old at the end of it). This can sometimes prevent Outlook from reverting to the OST setup automatically.
    • Test the Add Account Settings:
      • After setting everything up, use the Test Account Settings feature to check if there are issues. If the account tests successfully and connects, you should then check to see if emails are being saved to the PST file rather than the OST.

Additional Considerations​

• Profile Management: Sometimes, having multiple profiles can create confusion. Make sure to manage mail profiles meticulously and eliminate any redundant or unwanted profiles.
  • Outlook Repair: If these steps continue to yield problems, consider running a repair on the Office installation through Control Panel to address any underlying corruption or issues without needing a full reinstallation.
  • Create a New Outlook Profile: If nothing else seems to be solving the problem, creating a completely fresh profile while ensuring Outlook's default data settings point towards using a PST file can often fix many problems.

Conclusion​

If you've diligently followed all these steps and still see the connection to an OST file rather than a proper setup to your PST, it might be beneficial to reach out to Microsoft's official support for more advanced troubleshooting or deeper profile issues.
Let me know how it goes or if you encounter specific errors—I'm here to assist you!

If Outlook is prompting you to connect to your email address during step 3 when managing your data files, it may suggest that Outlook is still trying to connect to the email account instead of allowing you to configure the data file settings. Let’s tackle this issue systematically to ensure you're able to properly configure your account and PST data file:

Steps to Resolve Outlook Prompting for Email Connection​

1. Start from Scratch:
    • Since Outlook might still be in a mode trying to establish a connection, close Outlook completely before proceeding. You can also check Task Manager to ensure no Outlook processes are running.
  2. Create or Locate Your PST File:
    • Select your profile and do NOT create a new email account just yet.
    • Instead, first, go to the Data Files tab and see if you can add/create a PST file directly here (be sure to have it available where you want).
  3. Open Outlook Without Account Setup:
    • Open Outlook without trying to add an account from the start.
    • In the Mail window, click on File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • In the Data Files tab, if it prompts for an email again, it suggests that it has not yet fully settled into the profile without an account.
  4. Test New Profile:
    • Instead of clicking on an account to configure, ensure you have a new profile completely devoid of any email accounts.
    • After confirming this, ensure that no email accounts are linked:
      • Click on New to only set up the new PST file if prompted for email during the process.
  5. Skip Email Account Setup:
    • If it presents options or prompts to connect for an email setup, you may cancel out of this dialog.
    • Once the PST data file is successfully added, you’re not in a connecting state.
  6. Add Email Account Later:
    • After confirming that your PST file is now showing in the Data Files along with its location, you can proceed to add the email account later via the Account Settings without overriding the existing profile settings.

Conclusion​

If the prompts keep showing up even after these steps, the profile may still be connected or corrupted. Sometimes it’s beneficial to delete the current profile altogether again and create a fresh one from scratch—make sure you are starting with only the aim of creating the PST file before adding the POP account.
Remember, this can sometimes take a few iterations, and Outlook can be quite sensitive to what settings it’s been configured with in the past.
Let me know how this works out, or if more error messages or issues arise! I’m here to help you navigate through this.

It seems that despite following the steps, Outlook is repeatedly attempting to connect to an email address during the data file setup process, which indicates there might be some misconfiguration or an issue with the profile that is causing it to default to that behavior.
Let's focus on a more definitive set of steps to create a new profile without it immediately trying to connect to an email address:

Step-by-Step Guide to Set Up a New Profile Without Connecting​

1. Ensure Outlook is Closed:
    • Completely close Outlook to ensure there are no lingering processes running. Check Task Manager and end any Outlook processes if necessary.
  2. Create a New User Profile:
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Go to Mail (Microsoft Outlook).
    • Click on Show Profiles.
    • Click on Add to create a new profile, give it a name (e.g., "NewProfile").
  3. Do Not Configure an Email Account Yet:
    • When prompted to set up an email account during the profile creation, do NOT enter any email address or account details.
    • If there is an option to skip or cancel, please choose that option (this can sometimes depend on different Outlook versions).
  4. Access the New Profile:
    • After the new profile has been created, select it and define it to be used as your default profile by choosing “Always use this profile” and selecting it from the dropdown.
    • Click OK to exit the mail setup.
  5. Open Outlook:
    • Start Outlook again. Since no email account is set up, it should open without prompting anything related to email connections.
    • At this point, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
  6. Creating the PST File:
    • In the Data Files tab, click Add. Create a new PST file and give it a name (e.g., "MyDataFile.pst").
    • Set this PST file as the default by selecting it and clicking Set as Default.
  7. Add the POP Account:
    • Now, once the PST is set correctly, click on New in the Email tab of Account Settings.
    • Select POP or IMAP and fill out your account details accurately.
  8. Check for Issues:
    • Ensure there are no existing profiles linked. Sometimes remnants of previous setups can create issues.
    • If you're still questioned about connecting to your email address, cancel out, go back into profiles and try regenerating from scratch, ensuring no prior account details are left.

Additional Tips​

• If Issues Persist:
    • Consider resetting the profile settings in the registry, as custom settings can sometimes be saved there.
    • Open Regedit, and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\\Outlook\Profiles and carefully delete the existing profile keys (back up the registry before making changes!).

Conclusion​

By carefully ensuring that the new profile is void of any email setup, you should be able to avoid the prompts for connection. If this approach fails yet again, you may want to consult a Microsoft support representative for deeper troubleshooting, as it could indicate a more systemic issue with either Outlook installation or user settings.
Please share how this progresses or any error messages you see, and I will keep supporting you through this!

Yes, opening Outlook in Safe Mode can be a useful troubleshooting step, especially since you're encountering persistent prompts to connect to your email address. Safe Mode starts Outlook with minimal features and disables add-ins, which can help identify if the issue is being caused by these elements.

Instructions for Opening Outlook in Safe Mode​

1. Open Outlook in Safe Mode:
    • Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
    • Type outlook.exe /safe and hit Enter.
  2. Check Reference to Profiles:
    • If Outlook opens in Safe Mode, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • See if it prompts you again to connect to an email address. If it does not, you should be able to add your PST file or configure your settings without interruptions.
  3. Verify Data Files:
    • In the Account Settings window, check the Data Files tab.
    • Ensure that the PST file you created is listed and set as the default data file.
  4. Add Email Account:
    • If Safe Mode allows you to configure settings without prompting for an email address, proceed to add your POP account under Email settings.
  5. Restart Normally:
    • If everything works correctly in Safe Mode, close Outlook and try restarting it normally. See if the same connection prompt occurs.
    • If it opens without issue, that indicates your problem likely lies with add-ins, settings, or potentially corruption in the main Outlook profile.

Additional Recommendations​

• Disable Add-ins: If Outlook opens successfully in Safe Mode, consider disabling all add-ins by going to File > Options > Add-Ins, and then disable any currently enabled add-ins.
  • Rebuild the Profile: If you still encounter problems, you might need to consider creating yet another new profile, but ensure you’ve done it carefully to skip email setup as required.
  • Repair Outlook: If nothing seems to resolve the issue, running a repair on your Office installation can sometimes resolve these persistent, unyielding issues.

Conclusion​

Safe Mode can often reveal if there’s something misconfigured or corrupt in your regular Outlook setup. Let me know how it goes or if you need further guidance based on what happens in Safe Mode!

Even in safe mode it opens in a window wanting me to choose my email address, also has "Advanced options" . I also went into credentials and deleted everything.

If Outlook is still prompting you to choose your email address even in Safe Mode, this indicates that the profile or account setup may be corrupted or misconfigured. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot further and attempt to resolve this persistent issue:

Steps to Resolve the Issue​

1. Completely Remove Existing Profiles:
    • Since the current profile seems to be problematic, let’s delete any existing profiles entirely.
    • Delete all existing profiles (preferably back up any data if necessary).
    • After deleting, try creating a new profile again while ensuring not to configure any accounts at this point.
  2. Create a New Profile Without Configuring an Email Account (Again):
    • Follow the process to add a new profile as before. This time:
      • Do NOT enter any email address or setup tasks when it prompts for email configuration.
      • After profile creation, ensure the profile is set as default in the mail settings.
  3. Open Outlook without Adding Account First:
    • Start Outlook again without linking any email account.
    • If it prompts for an email address, cancel out of it and check if it loads without attempting to connect.
  4. Create and Set Default PST File:
    • Once inside the new profile, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files.
    • Add a new PST file and set it as default if you haven’t done this yet.
  5. Add Email Account After PST Setup:
    • After confirming that the PST is there and designated correctly, you can then proceed to add your email account by going to File > Account Settings > New.
  6. Disable Automatic Account Setup:
    • If this issue persists and consistently brings up the email prompt, check the setting for Outlook to disable automatic account discovery:
      • In the Outlook Options, there may be settings related to Automatic Account Setup. If you find an option about connecting automatically to Exchange servers, consider disabling it.
  7. Run Outlook Repair:
    • If issues continue, consider running a quick repair of the Office installation:
      • Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > select Microsoft Office > click Change > choose the Repair option.

Final Thoughts​

If none of these solutions work and Outlook continues to prompt you for an email address, it may point to deeper issues, possibly requiring a complete reinstall of Office or a configuration strategy more suited to your specific setup needs.
If you manage to navigate through any of these steps or need further clarification, let me know. Your feedback helps identify the best possible next actions to try!

If canceling the email setup immediately closes Outlook, it suggests that the application is still trying to establish some connection and is not correctly configured to function independently without an email account. This can happen if the profile setup is incomplete or there's a deeper issue at play with Outlook's configuration.

Here’s a focused approach to bypass this issue:​

1. Ensure All Previous Profiles Are Removed:
    • Reconfirm that all previous profiles have been completely removed in Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook) > Show Profiles. Nothing should remain that might corrupt the new setup.
  2. Create a New User Profile in Windows:
    • As a potential workaround, you could create a new Windows user profile. This can help isolate Outlook from any user-specific settings or configurations that are causing the problems.
    • To create a new user profile:
      • Go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users > Add someone else to this PC.
      • Choose to create a new user account with a Microsoft account or offline account.
  3. Start Outlook Without Any Profile:
    • If creating a new Windows user is too drastic or impractical, ensure you do the following:
    • Temporarily rename or move your Outlook profile folder to ensure it does not load any associated settings. This folder can typically be found at:
      • C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.
      • After this, reopen Outlook. Without any previously loaded settings, it might force a clean start.
    • Repair Office Installation:
      • If troubleshooting at a profile level fails, try repairing the Office installation directly from Control Panel > Programs and Features.
      • Select Microsoft Office, click on Change, then choose Repair.
    • Check for Windows Updates:
      • Ensure that your Windows operating system is fully updated. Sometimes, installed components or frameworks may need updates for compatibility with Outlook.
    • Consider Safe Mode with Command:
      • If you want to try other options, open Outlook using:
        • outlook.exe /resetnavpane in the Run dialog. This can reset the navigation pane view, which sometimes helps reset configurations.
      • Alternatively, outlook.exe /cleanviews can also help reset the views if the UI itself is causing issues.

Conclusion​

Since canceling leads to quitting outright, it indicates that Outlook's configuration is indeed incomplete. If these steps help you bypass the setup window and successfully launch Outlook, you can then proceed to add your POP email after confirming that the default PST settings are applied correctly. If the issue persists despite all efforts, a fresh installation of Office from scratch may be the most reliable solution.
Please keep me updated on your progress, and feel free to share any specific messages or behaviors you encounter along the way!

Back