Windows 7 Problem with "Protected Mode" & IE8 (& Win.7)

chipper

I’ve upgraded my Laptop from Vista to Windows 7 - all appears to be working OK except Internet Explorer 8.
When I try to connect to the internet, IE displays the “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpageâ€Â￾ error – however Firefox has no problem connecting to the internet, so it’s not a network connectivity issue.
When using IE, I get the same error if I try to connect to different websites (ie. it never works). I’ve run the IE diagnostic tool, but that fails to identify any problems. I’ve also reset IE’s settings back to default (under the Internet Options “Advancedâ€Â￾ tab) but not joy.

HOWEVER, I have found that if I DISABLE the “Enable Protected Modeâ€Â￾ option under the “Securityâ€Â￾ tab, IE8 then works normally. If I re-enable it again, IE stops working again, and vice versa. I’ve tried various Security Levels with Protected Mode enabled, but IE will only work if I disable it completely (by un-ticking the box).
I don’t really want to leave Protected Mode disabled (for obvious reasons!). I’m happy to use Firefox, however my wife prefers IE and is giving me a hard time (as it was my idea to upgrade to Win.7) – so any advice would be gratefully appreciated!!

First thing I would suggest is to clear out everything you has in the cache or cookies or whatever from before. Go to tools, General tab Browsing and Delete.

What type of firewall do you have and are you running more than one like a router firewall in addition to the normal software one?

If you are using iTunes, see if this thread will help--
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/23885-itunes-store-windows-7-prof.html

Last edited:
Protected Mode can be configured to a lower level in Internet Explorer's Internet Options dialog. Click the Security tab, select a Web content zone to "Trusted" or "Restricted". You will then find the box "Sites" is accessible, where you can select further options. you may then have to change back the the "Enable Protected Mode" check box. By default, Protected Mode is enabled for the Internet, Intranet, and Restricted Sites zones.

RAK - if I add a specific URL (eg. Google) into the Trusted "Sites" list, I am then able to access that particular website with IE - however, I can only access that one site - all other sites still return the "cannot display webpage" error. The only way I've found to get "normal" access to all websites is to disable "Protected Mode" against the Internet zone. Whist this resolves my browsing problem, it doesn't seem like a very good idea! do you have any suggestions? - thanks for your interest.

SALTGRASS - I'd already tried clearing IE's cache, cookies, etc. but it didn't fix the problem. I'm using Norton Internet Security firewall on my Laptop - however, if I disable the firewall & Anti-virus elements of Norton, I still can't display webpages in IE. I'm connecting via a Netgear Wireless Router (Model DG834GT) - to be honest, I can't remember if this has a built-in firewall - but I don't think that's the root cause of the problem as I can "fix" the issue by disabling "Protect Mode" in IE (plus Firefox works via the router without any problems at all, and IE work OK in Vista before I upgaded the machine to Windows 7). I'd appreciate any ideas you may have - Thanks.

Well, there is a reset button in IE under tools, internet options, advanced, bottom of page.

There also may be logs you could check to see what is happening, and make note of the time when something happens so you can compare.

SALTGRASS - I’ve already reset IE’s settings back to default (under the Internet Options “Advancedâ€Â￾ tab) but not joy. :(

Same Problem

I had the exact same problem. I have tried all of the suggestions on this page, and nothing worked. I also removed and reinstalled IE8. I had no problems with the desktop which was a full install, but the laptop I did as an upgrade. I finally figured out it was a problem with Net Nanny. I had to uninstall then reinstall the latest version and that took care of the issues. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Problem Fixed!

John R - NICE ONE!

I un-installed & re-installed Net Nanny as you suggested - and the problem is now fixed!

Thanks very much for taking the time to help (and thanks to everybody else for their suggestions too) - I really am grateful as I'd hit a dead-end trying to fix this myself (I was considering formatting & reinstalling Windows completely :rolleyes:) - Thanks everyone! - Chipper

Re: Problem Fixed!

I have the same problem but do not know what Net Nanny is? Can someone point me in the right direction. If i do not have New Nanny would there be a equal?

Back