Windows 8 Problem with Windows 8.1 x86 installation.

Amanda Castro

Hello!

I'm using Windows XP 32bits(original)(in C:\) and i'm trying to install Windows 8.1 x86(original)(in D:\), but i'm trying to do without using flashdrive or dvd. So, to do that, i did what read in internet:
Code:
1- Copy the following content from your Windows 8 disc or ISO to D:\
1.1- Boot
1.2- Sources
1.3- Bootmgr
2- In command terminal enter with:
2.1- diskpart
2.2- list disk
2.3- select disk 0 //My disk number is"0"
2.4- list partition
2.5- select partition 2 //There are three options im my hd: c:, d:, and e: I want to install it in d: so, number 2
2.6- active
2.7- exit
2.8- D:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 D:
3.0- Don’t format your d: this time in the installer – otherwise it will erase the Windows 8 setup files too.
I got an error message in 2.8.
bootsect.exe is not a Win32 valid application
To fix that, i found in internet an other bootsect.exe file(not sure if is genuine)
After replace with the file he executed with no error.

The problem is, when i reboot my system, i get this error message:
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

How can i fix this?
Use dvd or flashdrive is not an option for while for me!

1. You have not mentioned if you have a VALID win 8.1 product key.
2. Windows 8.1 isn't designed for installation on PCs running Windows Vista or Windows XP.
3. You will need Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to check if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 8. If you're running Windows XP, you need to have Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed to use Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.
4. If you get the green light from Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, it is recommended that you install Win 8 first with a valid Win 8 product key. When Win 8 is successfully installed and fully updated, then go to Windows Store and upgrade to Win 8.1 for free.

What you have been trying to do so far won't work, I am afraid.

Last edited:
1. You have not mentioned if you have a VALID win 8.1 product key.
Yes, i have.

2. Windows 8.1 isn't designed for installation on PCs running Windows Vista or Windows XP.
But i'm trying to make a clean installation. Windows 8 will not see my Xp!
I was wondering if i just copy all content of Windows dvd to this partition, d:\ and change c:\boot.ini would work.
What do you think? Or do something to, once all dvd content pasted in d:\make this d:\ bootable.

Please my point #3 again.
What did Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant say ? If it says your machine is not ready/suitable for Win 8, it's not for Win 8.1 either.
Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed ?

Last edited:
Back