Windows 7 Problems running Diablo II w/ LOD expansion

Csanino

I have removed & reinstalled at least 6 times w/ the same issue. I thought it was my CD causing the problem so I bought a new copy of the game.

The game works on my 32bit XP machine, but not on my 64bit Windows7 machine (which is my primary gaming computer)

I start the game, (tried different compat. modes) it black screens like its about to start, then i hear a faint error sound, so I hit the keyboard and i get back to the desktop. Second time it happened, I alt-tabbed and found this error on my desktop:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Anybody??

-Carlo

Thats odd, I have been able to run Diablo II + LOD with Windows 7 64bit Build 7000. That is definitely an odd error, I will take a look and see if I can find something.

EDIT: Are you running any mods or custom content? Try updating to the newest patch, get the update from blizzard directly or www.filefront.com

Last edited:
Thats odd, I have been able to run Diablo II + LOD with Windows 7 64bit Build 7000. That is definitely an odd error, I will take a look and see if I can find something.

EDIT: Are you running any mods or custom content? Try updating to the newest patch, get the update from blizzard directly or www.filefront.com

Well, I dl'ed the patch but it requires the game to start to update...so no patch.

-Carlo

I had both running on my computer without any errors. The patch only causes the game to run after it patches. The only thing I could think of what could be causing this is something going wrong with the installation. Have you been able to run this game on the same computer using a different version of Windows? It could be a hardware issue, but most likely something is wrong with your installation.

Last edited:
I had both running on my computer without any errors. The patch only causes the game to run after it patches. The only thing I could think of what could be causing this is something going wrong with the installation. Have you been able to run this game on the same computer using a different version of Windows? It could be a hardware issue, but most likely something is wrong with your installation.

Only thing changed w/ my setup was that I went from XP SP3 32bit to Windows7 64bit

-carlo

note

you will need to do a full install in win 7 ,so start from scratch run in admin mode or compat mode, then install update but when game tries to run with update install, stop game and let update finish then restart worked for me

I have removed & reinstalled at least 6 times w/ the same issue. I thought it was my CD causing the problem so I bought a new copy of the game.

The game works on my 32bit XP machine, but not on my 64bit Windows7 machine (which is my primary gaming computer)

I start the game, (tried different compat. modes) it black screens like its about to start, then i hear a faint error sound, so I hit the keyboard and i get back to the desktop. Second time it happened, I alt-tabbed and found this error on my desktop:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Anybody??

-Carlo

Yes there is a fix, I had the same problem initially... Try these steps, these should help:

1.) Make sure you are running at least v 1.12 so you can use the now-legit "NO CD* fix, Running from the CD often causes a read-buffer issue in W7, and having all those files on your harddrive will result in increased performance.

2.) YOU MUST Run Diablo II in Compatibility mode for *Windows XP SP 2* (Running in SP1 or 3 will cause error messages during gameplay)

3.) Run the Shortcut as an Administrator (Running as a local user causes W7 to limit its *AUDIO* functions... because it thinks the game is trying to exclusively access your sound device) and while you're there, check the box that says *Disable desktop composition*. This will allow Diablo II's 3D effects to render correctly. It temporarily disables Windows Aero and other Visual effects until the game has been exited. These effects are not compatible with the game.

4.) Go to your Diablo 2 folder and change game.exe to the same settings (Run as admin, Compat. mode for XP SP2, disable desktop composition)

5.) The only way I was able to use the 3rd mouse button was by using the older, non-legit version of D2loader.exe (An old hack they used for the no-cd thing until Patch 1.12 came out). You can now use this *hack* online as Blizzard has removed its illegitimacy and disabled the automated Battle.net Warden from detecting this online anymore as many Vista and 7 users have to use this to use their middle mouse buttons, hehe.

Installing Diablo2 On W7 Ultimate 64x

Hey Guys,
Im Not Able To Install Diablo 2 PERIOD.
It Seams Like the Install Exe Or Setup Exe Is Built For 32bit or 86x.
So it Wont Allow Me To Run The Setup or Install In Any Compatibility.
Any Suggestions?
By The Way I Was Told About A Virtual XP To Run..
Tried It, its To Slow I Don't Want That Option.. Its To Slow.
Ive Even Tried Runnin The Disks In A Virtual Drive..

diablo 2

Yes there is a fix, I had the same problem initially... Try these steps, these should help:

1.) Make sure you are running at least v 1.12 so you can use the now-legit "NO CD* fix, Running from the CD often causes a read-buffer issue in W7, and having all those files on your harddrive will result in increased performance.

2.) YOU MUST Run Diablo II in Compatibility mode for *Windows XP SP 2* (Running in SP1 or 3 will cause error messages during gameplay)

3.) Run the Shortcut as an Administrator (Running as a local user causes W7 to limit its *AUDIO* functions... because it thinks the game is trying to exclusively access your sound device) and while you're there, check the box that says *Disable desktop composition*. This will allow Diablo II's 3D effects to render correctly. It temporarily disables Windows Aero and other Visual effects until the game has been exited. These effects are not compatible with the game.

4.) Go to your Diablo 2 folder and change game.exe to the same settings (Run as admin, Compat. mode for XP SP2, disable desktop composition)

5.) The only way I was able to use the 3rd mouse button was by using the older, non-legit version of D2loader.exe (An old hack they used for the no-cd thing until Patch 1.12 came out). You can now use this *hack* online as Blizzard has removed its illegitimacy and disabled the automated Battle.net Warden from detecting this online anymore as many Vista and 7 users have to use this to use their middle mouse buttons, hehe.

hi!

i just tried to do your instructions but still can't play diablo 2 in my w7.
my screen just blinks. is their anyway to solve my problem? tried to see also the old version but their's no old version availble..

I installed D2 with my discs but since I just very recently bought LOD expansion set and since that waas screwed up I downloaded the version off of battle.net, now i can only play D2. Any suggestions?

Back