Windows 7 Problems with remote desktop

Supraseth94

I am trying to set up remote desktop with DynDNS but I just can't make it work when I try to access from a different network. Within my home network I successfully use the remote desktop and connect without issues.
Also, using the DynDNS within my network also directs me to the router so I know that the domain name is working.
Outside of network, however, I just get a message that the webpage isn't available when I try to access my DynDNS link. What could my problem be?
I used port forwarding to open port 3389 on 192.168.2.100 (the ip that my computer has).
Thanks for the help. :)

I am trying to set up remote desktop with DynDNS but I just can't make it work when I try to access from a different network. Within my home network I successfully use the remote desktop and connect without issues.
Also, using the DynDNS within my network also directs me to the router so I know that the domain name is working.
Outside of network, however, I just get a message that the webpage isn't available when I try to access my DynDNS link. What could my problem be?
I used port forwarding to open port 3389 on 192.168.2.100 (the ip that my computer has).
Thanks for the help. :)
If internally it's taking you to your router, then it isn't working and externally it's probably trying to take you to your routers web interface and the router is not setup for external administration on port 80 (which is a good thing). Getting a message "that the webpage isn't available" is indicitive of you issue...the Remote Desktop Protocol nor the Remote Desktop Client (mstsc.exe) uses port 80 or anything browser based. Make sure that you are forwarding both TCP and UDP in your router interface to your internal ipaddress. Next hold the windows logo key down and strike the "R" key and type mstsc, in the top box type WhatEverNameYouSetupWithDynDns.dyndns.org see attached picture let us know if your having any success with that

Thanks much for letting us know your issue is solved. Could you be a little more specific as to how you solved it so we can all benefit. Thanks for posting back

If internally it's taking you to your router, then it isn't working and externally it's probably trying to take you to your routers web interface and the router is not setup for external administration on port 80 (which is a good thing). Getting a message "that the webpage isn't available" is indicitive of you issue...the Remote Desktop Protocol nor the Remote Desktop Client (mstsc.exe) uses port 80 or anything browser based. Make sure that you are forwarding both TCP and UDP in your router interface to your internal ipaddress. Next hold the windows logo key down and strike the "R" key and type mstsc, in the top box type WhatEverNameYouSetupWithDynDns.dyndns.org see attached picture let us know if your having any success with that
The udp port is not used for remote desktop. only tcp 3389.
usually the page for your router outside your network is on port 8080. port 80 is used for web servers. tho probably needs to be setup inside your network before being available outside of it.
use no-ip.org instead of dyndns. dyndns only updates your ip if you are logged on to the computer, whereas no-ip runs as a system proccess and will update your ip even if you are not logged on.

now for my problem

win7 on my laptop can access remote desktop on my xp server. i then installed win7 on my server. the without doing anything to win7 on the server i cannot connect to remote desktop. This is more of a network issue rather than simply remote desktop.

it will only stay connected for a few seconds. the remote desktop screen goes black, and browsing shared folders will only let me view one or two directories before loosing connection.

I can access remote desktop from the server to my laptop long enough for hte screen to show up, but then freezes.

it doesent show that its connected, just eventually times out.

Back
Top Bottom