Windows 7 Problems with USB 2.0 Devices BUT ONLY on 1st boot (Restart fixes)

dmcmillen

Extraordinary Member
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 6.1.7601 SP 1 Build 7601, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-960, 12gb mem, GTX-560

I'm having a bizarre problem. Each morning when I power my machine up, it boots into Windows ok, but I'm having problems with ALL the USB 2.0 ports except for the USB 1.1 wireless kb/mouse composite device and a USB 1.0 Wacam tablet that are connected at power up. Connecting any USB device other than a mass storage device after the initial boot (such as one of my scanners) causes either the error "USB Device not Recognized" or it works. I never know which will happen.

If I connect a USB 2.0 mass storage device after the initial power up, the results are not always consistent but it never connects properly. The device will show up in explorer but will not read the label and the following errors show in the system event log:

7011 SvcCtrlMgr "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service"
7011 SvcCtrlMgr "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the LanmanServer service"

7011 SvcCtrlMgr "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service"
7011 SvcCtrlMgr "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the MMCSS service" multiple errors over 15 mins
7000 SvcCtrlMgr "The Multimedia Class Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" multiple errors
51 Disk errors multiple errors

Pretty much the disk hangs and never connects properly. Occasionally the disk will connect but generate a msg that the disk needs to be formatted.

It doesn't matter what port the devices are connected to; can be any of the front & rear panel or the header ports. And all USB 3.0 devices function properly and plugging any 2.0 device (disk or other) into a 3.0 port functions properly. Note that the 3.0 uses NEC drivers.

Now here's the craziness -- RESTARTING WINDOWS CAUSES ALL USB DEVICES TO FUNCTION NORMALLY.

All USB entries in device manager show no problems and USBDeView and USB View look normal. USB entries in the device manager look identical after initial power up and after the restart.

Only anomalies I can find are:
(1) device manager reports version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) for drivers windows\system32\drivers usbhub.sys and usbport.sys while the files themselves show 6.1.7601.18328
(2) windows\system32\drivers usbd.sys, usbccgp.sys, usbhub.sys, usbport.sys, usbehci.sys, usbuhci.sys, usbohci.sys are showing a Create Date 01/15/2014, Modify Date: 11/26/2013 and Access Date: 01/15/2014.

Can someone tell me how to tell if I have the latest drivers and where to get the latest drivers? Could this be a problem with infcache.1? I believe I have a non-USB wired kb and mouse so I could boot with no USB devices attached. But what then?

I am completely mystified by this behavior. It is consistent every morning when I power up my machine and a restart always fixes it. Does anyone have a clue to what's going on. Thanks for your help.

David

First thing I'd start with is to make sure all the mobo drivers are the current versions. If not, update them all. You may have to check with each vendor separately than relying on the drivers from Gigabyte mobo. How many usb ports do you have? Are you using a USB hub, if so is it self powered...eg an AC power adapter?

All mobo drivers up to date. USB 2.0 is controlled via the Southbridge ICH10R that has 8 controllers: 2 ehci controllers that support up to 12 USB 2.0 ports and 6 uhci controllers. USB 3.0 on this mobo is supported by an NEC chipset.

The mobo has 6 rear panel 2.0 ports, and 3 internal 2.0 headers that each support 2 ports, for a total of 12 available ports. One header provides 2 ports to the front panel, and 2 headers provide an additional 4 ports to the rear panel.

There are 2 USB 3.0 rear panel ports and I have one 4 port USB 3.0 hub attached to one of them (nothing attached to them in this problem). I have no external USB 2.0 hubs. The only hubs are the 8 root hubs, 1 for each controller.

Back