Windows 7 Problems with User Names - typo on initial setup and now, two username folders that won't delete

whosemarie

Hi: Looks like I'm not the only one to have had this problem, but since the posts seem a few years old, one would HOPE that Microsoft might have gotten the big hint and fixed this problem. I have Windows 7 professional.

First, when setting up, there was a typo in the user name and the system wouldn't allow me to go back to correct it. So, while I did change it so it pops up correctly when logging on, the user folder still has the wrong name.

SO I read a post elsewhere where it was advised to add a standard user name, add an admin user name and then 'copy' from one to the other and delete. I did this and it didn't work - the 'copy' function was dimmed and disabled.

SO then I went to delete the user names and now it says I must be an administrator to do so (and I'm an administrator) AND it also says they're in use by another program. I can't imagine what this might be since I've loaded nothing onto this computer as of yet.

I have to admit, I've had this computer a few hours now and I'm totally fed up with Windows 7. I'm used to working within XP where I had access to files and where my computer didn't treat me like a total idiot.

I'm planning to download the Windows XP mode and Virtual PC from the Microsoft site. Will I be able to correct these issues with that? I used XP for what? 10 years? I know my way around that and can make it do what needs to be done. Obviously Windows 7 is another animal - and not a very user-friendly one at that.

Anything that anyone can recommend is helpful at this point.

you can always use the hidden administrator account to rename or delete the accountand restup a new one if u wished,

go to start , type command promt , right click, run as administrator

type

net user administrator /active:yes

log off , login with the new account that has popped up then try renaming,delete or what ever on this account ;)

you can always use the hidden administrator account to rename or delete the accountand restup a new one if u wished,

go to start , type command promt , right click, run as administrator

type

log off , login with the new account that has popped up then try renaming,delete or what ever on this account ;)

You might be losing me here. I've not been active in DOS for about 18 years, so...are you saying to 'run' cmd, and then at c:\Windows\system32> type net user administrator / active:yes

What I get is that action is complete. So logged out, logged on under new admin, and then, I tried to change the name. I get message 'folder in use' "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder of rfile and try again."

AND when I try to delete the two other files, I'm still being told "Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this folder".

So this doesn't work. Any other ideas?

make sure you have logged out

under the new administrator account you can "take ownership" of the files, ive uploaded the Zip file with the files you need,

run the registry file, click yes to write to the registry, once this has been written , right click on the folder and click on "take ownership" then try renaming itLink Removed due to 404 Error

Hi

Here's my canned instructions....

How to Enable the Administrator Account

Open the command prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Start orb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt and then select Run as administrator.

Type or cut and paste…

and then press Enter.

Log out and log back in as Administrator.

When you are done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in

net user administrator /active:no

Hope this helps.

Remember you can just copy and paste these instructions into the window once you see the prompt.

Mike

"You might be losing me here. I've not been active in DOS for about 18 years, so...are you saying to 'run' cmd, and then at c:\Windows\system32> type net user administrator / active:yes "

You may be getting something wrong there? If you follow Mike's post it should work. But , maybe a typo, there is no space after the / . Also, when you have entered the command prompt, it is normal to be in C:\Users\username, not system32, but perhaps there are reasons why not so in your case. Agter you have completed the entry, a message will pop up advising you that the command has been executed. If not, you have done something wrong.

Failing all, try this

Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2. (or Open the Start menu, and type lusrmgr.msc )
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.

Hi

No typo!

If you paste this in just the way it is it will work.

Actually there's not a space after the /, I think it just looks that way because of the bold type.

/active:yes /active:yes

Mike

Last edited:
Sorry Mike. I was referring to whosemarie's post #3

But while we are here, a little off topic perhaps, I have never, ever, succeeded in pasting a copied text into the command prompt. All I get is this ^V (Control V). Any ideas?

I have never, ever, succeeded in pasting a copied text into the command prompt. All I get is this ^V (Control V). Any ideas?

I've never managed with the Ctrl V either but if you click on the icon top left and select properties, under the Options tab, select the Quick Edit and Insert Mode options and OK out.

Now when you copy, when you r-click the cmd prompt window it auto inserts the copied text.

Thanks Elmer. Since XP I have always typed a new command out in full. Your suggestion worked, but I discovered an easier way thanks to you. Click the ICon (L or R) - yes. But then there is an option in the menu which drops down "Edit" - then "Paste".
Anyway, back to the thread.

Hi

I just right click on the selected text in the post, and select copy.

Then right click anyplace in the command prompt window and select paste.

The text will appear at the flashing indicator.

Mike

Back to the original problem, how many users, and what type do you currently have? What windows did with not renaming the original folder is normal, doesn't help you, but may lessen the frustration.

If I remember correctly, when you delete a user account there are some options about what exactly to delete--have you seen that?

Another situation that gives new users problems is the idea of how the "Administrator" works. In XP the Administrator was the highest authority. In Windows 7, there is normally an Administrator/user account and possibly a standard user account. Even the Admin/user account needs to ask for permission elevations to perform certain tasks.

The "Real Administrator" (inactive by default) account is supposed to be equivalent to the XP admin, but even it cannot perform all functions. These procedures have been put in place in an attempt to protect you and your system from outside and in some cases user actions.

I suppose I should also add there is usually an option to right click and run something as Administrator. This is very useful for such things as the Command Prompt, and if you right click the Explorer icon then right click Windows Explorer and select Run as Admin, it might allow you to have more control in dealing with files.

Last edited:
Back