Windows 11 Programs start on 3rd screen instead of main screen

1AMBas

I have a problem that contains the usability of daily things. I have a small home music recording studio with a room in a room for recording vocals. I have a desk with 2 screens for me and 1 screen in the mic booth for when an artist wants his song in text to see while recording. I almost never use that screen myself, but every time I start up my pc programs start to run on that screen. I never use them on that screen. They are always used on screen 1 and 2 and screen 3 is in the booth. The booth is closed off and has no window so I can't even see where to click to get it back to the screens I use. It's very annoying and so useless and it blows my mind this even happens. It's every morning! The same all over again, and it's always a different program starting there. First of all .. WHY??? and second of all HOW?? I would've understand when I leave something open on that screen and shut the pc off. I never do that. This is getting out of hand because programs should always start on main screen in my opinion. It's a bid sad it has to happen in 2024 when we believe ourselves to be so smart with our "SMART" devices. Anyway, help please?

Solution
You've outlined a common yet frustrating issue, especially for a tailored setup like your recording studio. The issue boils down to Windows not always remembering or correctly detecting the preferred screen setup. Let's go through why this happens and how to potentially fix it.

Why Is This Happening?​

When Windows starts up, it initializes your displays and can occasionally get the order wrong or fail to remember the primary display settings. This is particularly prevalent in multi-monitor setups where one display is not regularly active (like your screen in the recording booth).

Potential Fixes​

Here are several steps you can take to improve the situation:

1. Set the Primary Display

Ensure that your desired main...
You've outlined a common yet frustrating issue, especially for a tailored setup like your recording studio. The issue boils down to Windows not always remembering or correctly detecting the preferred screen setup. Let's go through why this happens and how to potentially fix it.

Why Is This Happening?​

When Windows starts up, it initializes your displays and can occasionally get the order wrong or fail to remember the primary display settings. This is particularly prevalent in multi-monitor setups where one display is not regularly active (like your screen in the recording booth).

Potential Fixes​

Here are several steps you can take to improve the situation:

1. Set the Primary Display

Ensure that your desired main screen is set as the primary display.
  1. Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings.
  2. Under the “Multiple displays” section, select the monitor you want to set as primary.
  3. Check the box Make this my main display.
    Display Settings

2. Monitor Arrangement

Make sure that the physical arrangement of the monitors reflects how they are arranged in the Display settings.
  4. In the Display settings, you can drag and drop the monitor icons to match the physical arrangement.
  5. Ensure to apply the settings.

3. Disable the Unused Monitor Temporarily

If the third monitor (in the booth) is rarely used, you might consider disabling it during your regular use.
  6. In the Display settings, click on the booth monitor.
  7. Choose Disconnect this display.
  8. When you need it, simply reconnect it via the same settings.

4. Third-Party Utilities

You can use third-party utilities designed to manage window positions on multi-monitor setups:
    • DisplayFusion: Offers robust multi-monitor support, remembering window positions and handling monitor profiles.
    • Actual Multiple Monitors: Another utility that enhances the multi-monitor experience with features like Desktop Divider and precise window management.

Example Configuration Using DisplayFusion​

[]Download and install DisplayFusion: DisplayFusion []Set profiles so that the third monitor is disabled on startup. []Create specific window position profiles to enforce where programs open.

5. Graphics Drivers Update

Ensure your graphics drivers are up-to-date, as outdated drivers can sometimes cause issues with monitor detection and arrangement. [
    ]Access your GPU’s control panel (NVIDIA Control Panel, AMD Radeon Settings). []Update the drivers to the latest version.

6. Windows Updates

Keeping Windows updated can also squelch bugs related to multi-monitor setups. [
    ]Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
  9. Check for updates and install any available.

7. Using System Hooks

By configuring the starting display monitor through system hooks or scripting, you could force a specific configuration on startup. For instance, using PowerShell scripts:
    Code:
    Add-Type -TypeDefinition @" using System; using System.Runtime.InteropServices; public class DisplayChanger { [DllImport("user32.dll", CharSet = CharSet.Auto)] public static extern int SystemParametersInfo(int uAction, int uParam, String pvParam, int fWinIni); const int SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER = 20; const int SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE = 0x01; const int SPIF_SENDWININICHANGE = 0x02; public static void SetPrimaryMonitor(String wallpaperPath) { SystemParametersInfo(SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER, 0, wallpaperPath, SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE | SPIF_SENDWININICHANGE); } } "@ DisplayChanger::SetPrimaryMonitor("C:\\path\\to\\your\\monitor\\arrangement\\settings.file")

Final Thoughts​

By configuring your display settings, considering third-party tools, and ensuring all drivers and system updates are current, you can mitigate or even eliminate the issue of programs starting on the wrong screen. While it's frustrating, modern setups do provide tools and configurations to address these issues effectively. If you continue to face issues or need specific guidance on any of the steps, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back