Windows 7 I need my icon images back on my main screen.

LostInCyberspace

Hello out there, LostInCyberspace calling for help!

I ran a cleaner, System Mechanic to be precise, and lost all my icon images. I know, sill of me, I was warned that it would be a problem replacing the Registry Keys that held the images, since that portion of System Mechanic deleted said Registry Keys. Now I want my little pictures back on the screen where they belong. I tried communicating with the techs over at System Mechanic and they didn't seem to think it was their program that caused the disappearance of the little images. (See Attached)
Can the Registry Keys be replaced? I can get to the place where they should be put if someone could supply the replacement language.

Attachments

• Desktop Screen.jpg
    Desktop Screen.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 263
A manual registry edit would be a major exercise - have you tried a system restore?
Unfortunately my system restore doesn't go back far enough to recover the deletion. I had no idea that restoring a registry key is a major exercise. Just drill down to the required folder in the registry and insert the new key (regedit gets me into the registry and all I need is directions from there).
I bet there's more to it than that, eh?

You would need to do that for EACH shortcut on the desktop that is missing it's icon.

You could modify the properties of each shortcut and point the icon location to the exe invoked from the shortcut.

No "Hold-All" key available, or is there?

How to modify the properties of a shortcut and point the icon loc. to the exe. When I click on the icon it opens the program, no problem. I want the little icon image back, perhaps I'll check the program file and see if I can't re-instated the icon from there, who knows, it might just be that simple.

If you right click on the shortcut and choose properties, under the Shortcut tab if you click the Change Icon button, is the appropriate Icon for the shortcut among the option choices available.
Have you tried just rebuilding / resetting the icon cache
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-the-icon-cache-windows

EDIT: Does the program you used "System Mechanic"have an undo option, usually such programs have a mean of reversing what they have done.

Have you tried going to the executable file in the program files/program file (86) folders, right click on each of the ones you want to restore and select "send to desktop(create shortcut)"?

I learned about registry cleaners the hardway back in Windows 98. I use Ccleaner at default settings. When it cleans the registry I use the option to save what it removes.
Joe

Have you tried going to the executable file in the program files/program file (86) folders, right click on each of the ones you want to restore and select "send to desktop(create shortcut)"?
I tried this and changing the icon in the "Properties" of the icon only to have the same result. Nothing changed. I have tried two different small applications from third parties to no avail. So what do I have to change in the registry to make those little pictures appear? And amen to the fact that I have to do it for each application that shows up on my desktop screen.

Back
Top Bottom