Windows 7 Promise Tech Ultra33 PCI RAID Controller

Unrelated

I have a Promise Technoligy INC. Ultra 33 PCI card on my system. It holds 2 80gb WD HDDs. I have a 20gb and a 160gb hdd on one IDE Cable and a DVD Drive and a CD/DVD Burner on the other. So I need the card for the extra 160gb of space. My problem is, no drivers are available for it so I'm out a 160gigs of room and a multitude of files that I would like access to. Any pointers would be helpful.

System Specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7000 Build 7000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer GBT___
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2423 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 11/26/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7000.0"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.38 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.28 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.53 GB
Page File Space 2.28 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I have a Promise Technoligy INC. Ultra 33 PCI card on my system. It holds 2 80gb WD HDDs. I have a 20gb and a 160gb hdd on one IDE Cable and a DVD Drive and a CD/DVD Burner on the other. So I need the card for the extra 160gb of space. My problem is, no drivers are available for it so I'm out a 160gigs of room and a multitude of files that I would like access to. Any pointers would be helpful.

System Specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7000 Build 7000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer GBT___
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2423 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 11/26/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = \"6.1.7000.0\"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.38 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.28 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.53 GB
Page File Space 2.28 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

After reading your post a few times I realize the emphasis you are placing it is on the Promise Ultra 33 PCI card that has no Win 7 drivers but holding the 2 X80GB HDDs which you cannot use because of lack of drivers.( I presume Win7 drivers). Am I right? If the is the case your options are:

1. Connect one 80GB HDD replacing the 20 GB on MoBo IDE 1 connector as a Slave so you would only lose 100GB not 160 GB for want of drivers!
  2. You can repalce the the existing Promise Ultra 33 PCI with Rosewill RC-215 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G x2/ ATA 133 (IDE) x1 HDD Controller Card Supports Raid 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, un-RAID mode - Retail that has Vista ( and hence Win 7) support and it costs US$ 19.00 plus shipping charges at Newegg.com.
  3. Using an IDE to USB adapter cable to connect the disk to your free USB -2 port as an external HDD would be cumbersome.
  4. Using an IDE to USB enclosure will look better but could be more expensive.
If I were you and want to use the 2 x80GB HDDs without losing any HDDs my choice...> the SATA/ATA Controller card. But REMEMBER: although you will solve your present IDE drive problem, it is SATA-I and not SATA-II . If and when you go for a BIG SATA II HDD [ say 1 TB SATA -II HDD] thinking you can have more HDDs in the system you cannot get the speed you would expect from the new generation SATA drives. That is why it's so inexpensive.
I hope this is what was the thrust in your post.
Good luck.
hi Unrelated,
i saw a better deal here but no SATA : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132005

Last edited:
First and foremost thank you for the quick reply and yes;

After reading your post a few times I realize the emphasis you are placing it is on the Promise Ultra 33 PCI card that has no Win 7 drivers but holding the 2 X80GB HDDs which you cannot use because of lack of drivers.( I presume Win7 drivers). Am I right?

; You are 100% correct. I'll probably end up buying a new controller card. The idea of having even more cables running off my pc is just not acceptable to me heh.

First and foremost thank you for the quick reply and yes;

; You are 100% correct. I'll probably end up buying a new controller card. The idea of having even more cables running off my pc is just not acceptable to me heh.

Thank you for followup.
I hope the PCI card I suggested would fix the present problem. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom