Windows 7 Pulled System Frtom Mothballs and have 69 Updates That Fail

therock

Hi,

Win7 Pro SP1 has lots of catchup to do update wise but keeps failing. What is the trick?

Thanks!

Not sure if I get you but one thing, for sure, is that you shouldn't try to install all updates at once, 2-5 updates a time in my experience. There's no real trick, sometimes updates fail.

Thanks,

After posting here I tried the latest ones according to how they numbered, and they took. I then selected all of them and went out the door to work.
Came home and woke it and it wanted a restart. Bam! They were all there but for one. A MSE definitions update was available. Heh!

Thanks Again

Yeah well, go on using your computer. Glad to see you have obviously made it! :applaud:

I have to back pedal here. The system lied to me saying it was up to date. Then later it too back peddled.

I then selected all the framework updates and they all succeeded. I did the same for others but the Security ones were the last remaining.
I selected them all and failed.
For giggles I selected bottom 4 and it succeeded. I did this until the top one was the only one left. After selecting the last one it succeeded and unlike with the others it showed the registry update message.

At one point in there I got greedy and selected more than 4 and failed. :andwhat:

Anyways I'm good.

As you probably know, sometimes Windows needs to restart in order to install updates. If you push lots of updates, like in a re-install, it may be that some earlier updates would need a restart before newer updates can work... you can mess up your system a bit... difficult to tell.

Sometimes new updates contain older ones = install the latest, and it's all there. But I'm not really sure about this. Personally, I would go from older updates to newer ones, step by step. Takes time and effort, but should be safe.

I'm glad if you're good. :up:

Yeh, I did all the restarts as required.

I keep up on my main running machine and that one had been off for a year or so. Every so often an update will show a DOS like message about settings or changes it made to the registry right before the login screen. That is what the very last (latest) one did.

Thanks.

Back