Windows 8 Puppy 5.6 printer Win 8.1

Hi Mike
I have made a Live cd of Puppy 5.6 and run Win 8.1
I need to be able to print from Puppy when at a secure site.
I noticed that the link you sent is for E710n and I have E710a. HP Officejet 6500A -E710a/ it is the a-f series not n.
Where can I find that link -I have looked everywhere.
Do I just install the driver in Windows then use the printer once the cd in in the machine to print from Puppy?
Is the security compromised?
Anyway, the link to the - a - series would be great.
Thanks a lot
Peter

I contacted HP and someone tried to tell me in semi English that I have the correct software for my pc to print to my HP. She said there is no difference between a and n etc. However, I could not decipher whether or not she could explain how to print to the HP from within Puppy.

That is what I need to know.

HP gave this link for other operating systems than Windows

http://hplipopensource.com/?

I run Windows 8.1 but want to print from Linux.
When I went to the link Officejet 6500 was listed without the A I have at the end. Also, Puppy was not listed.
Could someone verify that this means I cannot print from Puppy or point out my error..

Hi

I think you would have to have the driver installed on your Linux boot disk.
As to how you do that I don't really know, I use Ubuntu sometimes but I'm not a Linux expert.

You may want to ask on a Linux forum how to add printer drivers to your boot disk, I assume you would have to add it somewhere in the process before you create the disk but I don't know how.

You have got me curious, I don't think I've ever tried printing to my Cannon printer while I'm booted into Ubuntu, I'll have the fire it up and give it a try.

I have no idea if it would have drivers that would work or not.

Mike

Mike is correct...in order to use any device....no matter the OS....the driver/software for that device has to be installed. You might want to check with the Puppy 5.6 forums to see what your asking is even possible.

After thinking on it abit....if your live puppy 5.6 is on a thumb drive...then therotically you should be able to install the driver/software to the thumb drive. Provided that the thumb drive is large enough....like an 8 GB thumb drive.

I have actively been asking Linux forums and am waiting for answers -slow to come. I am not optimistic.
I spent about 3 hours trying to resolve this. Most people to my knowledge need to print out documents at some sensitive sites at times. I therefore wanted a Live CD that I could print with. I wonder though if it is compromising security. The disc I made was finalized so nothing can be added to it which is good for security. if I used a flash drive someone could write to it.
I don't know if it is possible to have a live cd that no one can write to but still have drivers so you can print and again, print safely. My printer prints directly to the modem and I would not use the laptop so WI FI would not be involved.
I guess I am looking for a Linux live cd that I can include drivers to print while the cd is being burned Then perhaps printing can be done. I am trying to keep everything off of the main pc's hard drive. I would take the VM route but I am not sure that is a secure route to sensitive sites and also have read that VM's should be used on old machines as disaster could occur. My machines are relatively new.
I wonder if the burner needs to be the type that could include drivers.
Without further instruction I might burn Ubuntu to an -rw hoping that it has a printing feature. Puppy is about the smallest Linux choice but does contain language about printers. That Linux lingo is extremely strange to me to the point here I could not make an intelligent choice.
If you are reading this and wish to correct me, I would appreciate it.

Hi

For what it's worth, I booted into Ubuntu from my disk, and while is recognised my printer and could locate the correct driver for it, it still wouldn't print anything, even though it showed the printer in print options.

I tried printing a test print, and I tried printing a document, I could hear the printer make a click sound that indicated that there was some kind of communication that's all that happened.

I'm assuming that if it was actually installed on my computer it would work.

I still don't know exactly what you are trying to do, even if you could get it to work the files would still have to be on you computer or a disk.

Couldn't you just insert a CD with the files on it and print it from Windows?
The file would never be on the computer and I doubt there would be any indication of what was in them after they were printed.

if you printed a document from from a CD, named "Best Hot Dogs Ever" I don't think there would be any indication of its contents on your computer after you printed it.

But I'm not a security expert.

There are also programs like IDoo File encryption that can make folders invisible to the casual user.
However I'm sure the FBI could find them. LOL

Mike

Last edited:
I guess this could be a hair puller or a fun project but it would be nice to go to a site with confidence that you have done your best. I need to print monthly reports etc. so need to keep trucking. I read someone said if you are a Linux novice not to use Puppy but to use either Mint or Ubuntu. I am going to look at Mint pen drive now that you cannot get Ubuntu and your Canon to work. I'll keep you posted.
I love my HP as all the features work like faxing, copying, printing[except Linux], and it has a top loader to make it easy.- how do you feel about the Canon?

I'm no linux expert by far....I rarely use it. I did just make a bootable 4 GB USB of Ubuntu 12.04. I tried to see if I could add a printer from my network under windows 8.1. I could see where I could add a printer but couldn't locate my HP printer from the network. TBO....I didn't spend to much time doing so either....but it seemed possible.

Peterr...you might want to change your Live CD to a USB and play around that way trying to add a printer...being you have space to do so.

Bassfisher may be right that booting from a USB drive which is much faster and can be written to, may solve the problem.

At least it could add drivers to the drive, and perhaps it needs to swap the files to be printed to the drive, in order to put them in queue.

which may be why I could't actually print from my disk even though it could see the printer it probably couldn't really install the drivers and the docs never showed up in the print queue.

When I told it to, it just went on to the next step but it didn't give me any message i.e. installed or not installed.

Mike

PS, whatever your computer is my experience has been that using the 32 bit version of Ubuntu works better. My 64 bit computer will boot to the 32 bit disk but not the 64 bit one.

At least the 32 bit one is more universal.

Also the version that worked best for me was 11.10.
I'm going to try making a new disk that's 13.04 that is 32 bit an see if that will boot.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

Good News!!

I just made a new Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit disk, in fact I'm logged in to Ubuntu from it right now.

I turned on my Printer, went to the printing page in System Settings, clicked Add Printer, it showed my printer (Cannon MP 560) and it looked for found and installed the drivers and then Printed out a test page. Woo Hoo!

So it will print from Ubuntu that is installed on a DVD.

In fact in less then 6 minutes I had installed the printer, gotten online and to this forum.

I think that the later version 13.10 would probably work to if I selected the 32 bit version to install.
For some reason I always seem to have trouble with the 64 bet versions.

Anyway it only takes a few minutes to make a Ubuntu disk and try it out.
I'd start out with the 12.04 32 bit version, it seem to work really well.

Mike

I also created a document, and a folder, save the document to the folder, printed it out, and saved it on my hard drive and then opened it when I got back to Windows 8.

Last edited:
I was just about to reconfigure my boot as usb is in the bios only but now that Mike has found a way I will follow it.
Thank you all very much.
I will let you all know.
I wonder if we have to update the disc every 6 months as I was told for security reasons?
Peter
PS Mike, how did you burn the dvd? My burner wants finalize the disc even if I check not to. Did you finalize the disc? I have Ashampoo. Do you use Windows or ImgBurn or what? I downloaded Unbuntu12.04.4 but there were others that ended in LT I did not choose. I also selected 32 bit altho the pc is 64.

Last edited:
Hi

I burn the DVD using ImgBurn, I just Selected "Write image file to disk" I check the "Verify" box, then select the ISO file and the Disk you want to burn it to, and hit the "Write" button.

I used 4X write speed.

The file name I downloaded says exactly...

ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-i386.iso

I used a DVD.

I'm using the 32 bit version on a 64 bit Windows 8 computer.

I don't actually see an option to finalise of not but I'm pretty sure that the disk it unwritable after the process is finished.

I'll check...

The disk is not writable after the process completes.

I don't know why you would have to update the disk unless they update security actions on the disk periodically, I've never thought about that.

Mike

Damn....I'm such an idiot...I didn't have my printer on.....HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!! Now to recheck my USB.

I'm using my USB Ubuntu 12.04 USB and turned on my printer and it recognized it automatically. I selected the printer, clicked forward and installed it....printed test page and bingo bango...it works like a charm.

Mike...thanks for the reminder.....TO TURN MY PRINTER ON......

Mike and bassfisher
My Ashampoo has finalize button that you can check or uncheck and I wanted to not finalize for updates BUT it seems not to work.

Does ImgBurn had a finalize box or not?

I was thinking of using an rw and not finalizing if possible.

Also how do I get the Ubuntu download by just googling it OR do I have to say live?

** I wonder if a flashdrive would help with updates and how you do this with a flash drive?.

Thanx
Peter

PS Maybe someone who knows these things can jump in for us. But meanwhile I could use answers to what I just asked you.
You have been very helpful.

I'm no linux expert by far....I rarely use it. I did just make a bootable 4 GB USB of Ubuntu 12.04. I tried to see if I could add a printer from my network under windows 8.1. I could see where I could add a printer but couldn't locate my HP printer from the network. TBO....I didn't spend to much time doing so either....but it seemed possible.

Peterr...you might want to change your Live CD to a USB and play around that way trying to add a printer...being you have space to do so.

>>How do you make the flash drive Ubuntu??>

Back
Top Bottom