Windows 8 Question about free win 10 upgrade.

jmf1964

Sorry if this has been gone over here, but I couldn't find any information.

Once windows 10 is up and running, what happens to my version of windows 8.1. I bought a retail copy of it for this computer and it wasn't cheap. Will I be able to install it in another pc sometime in the future and activate it, or is it dead now?

Basically it will be void as you've used the offer to upgrade the licence to a windows 10 one. If you go ahead with it of course.

I would/ have made a backup image of my Windows 8.1 before allowing the 10 download so that I can revert back to it if needed... I use Acronis but there are other free options (not the basic windows one which does not work) as long as you have the option to boot from the images it makes.

The question about Retail licenses and Windows 10 is one Microsoft has not answered. It would seem logical if you are using Windows 10 after upgrading using that license, you will not be able to use it again unless you stop using Windows 10.

The question about moving an OS to another system, since yours is not an OEM/single computer type install, is relevant. Personally, I am going to assume the 8.1 license is valid as long as there is no current Windows 10 install present.

Back
Top Bottom