Windows 7 Question about paging file in windows 7

justineneal25

my windows 7 is 32bit and i have a 2GB of ram, so what is the recommended initial size and maximum size for my paging file??? because i discovered that paging file is eating a hardisk space, i have a bad hardisk i have only 80GB of HD. plssss help to config my paging file tnx.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

I'd say anywhere between 512-1024 would be fine.. Or 1534 if you wanted to go a bit higher.. (It all depends on what your doing with it as well, if you do a lot of video editing you might want to set it to 2GB or more) But really for all the difference it would make you could also just let Windows manage it.. The hit to overall performance would be marginal... ;) 80GB's is plenty to run Windows 7 very well.. Is that the only OS your running?

What exactly do you mean by a "bad hard drive"? Is it failing? Were you able to partition it so that all your Windows files/apps are on one partition and all your data is stored on the second partition? I find when you only have a small HDD and one of them that is the best setup to have.. ;)

You can also create a 3rd partition and move the page file to that.. (It is not recommended though if you don't know what your doing..) Also that might not be an option since you only have the one drive and it being only 80GB's.. I imagine you want to keep as much space as possible free for your data.. ;)

Last edited:
i mean about the bad HD is a small amount of capacity, no my HD is fine and its not partition. i have a 40GB also intalled in my computer for my backups, i already turn off my system restore and hibernate because i dont want to decrease my hardisk, because my hardisk space keeps reducing, but im not installing anything. plssssssssssss help me, sorry for my bad english.

plsssssssss help on this sir, because i dont want to use winXP anymore i love this new win7... when im using winXP its not like win7 that eats up my hardisk space in winXP its not eating up my space. plssssssssss help i want win7,,,,

Ok so right now you are dual booting with Windows 7 and Windows XP? Or did I misunderstand that.. ;)

If so, then you could wipe both OS's out and do a clean reinstallation of Windows 7 then you'll only have the 1 OS installed... If you don't want to use XP anymore this would be a plausible solution..

I'm not sure why you would be loosing HDD space without actually installing or downloading anything.. Perhaps you have inadvertently acquired a Worm or Malware that is eating up your HDD's space?.. It sounds stupid I know but it can and does happen.. Have you ran your Anti-Virus program to rule out that possibility? Also, if you have any Anti-Spyware/Adware programs you should update and run a full scan with those as well..

and by the way im using my computer for games, so what is the correct configuration for my paging file.

There's not really a "correct" setting for the page file (many people have a different opinion for how big or small the page file should be).. ;) Like I said I'd say go with between 512/1024MB or even 2GB would be fine.. :) If your gaming a lot then go with a 2GB one and you'll be at a "sweet spot" so some say.. ;)

Adjusting the page file or even moving it to a separate partition isn't going to make a HUGE difference in performance, it certainly will increase it some, but not as much as say upgrading your GPU would when it comes to gaming.. ;)

Last edited:
sir i dont use dual OS im only using win7 and i have kaspersky anti virus intalled, kaspersky did not detect anything, when i installed my win7 it starts the reducing of my HDD. plsssssssssss help,

heres an example sir my current HDD is 63.45GB then later will become 63.45GB then 63.44 until it becomes 62.9 and so on and so fourth, on xp its not like that sir because ive been an xp user for so many years. is my paging file can decrease my HDD space?? what suppose to be the problem sir??? i try also the disk cleanup up and deleting up my temporary internet files etc. but nothing happen, then suddenly i try to restart my computer then it goes back to the original size of 63.45GB and later on it will reduce again,
Im trying to figure it out for a couple of days.

clean installed sir, i format first my HDD then install the win7... by the way my GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 512MB DDR2, what do you mean about 512-1024??? intitial size=512 and maximum size=1024 is that correct??? if im using my computer for games and application i must use initial size and maximum size into 2GB??? or i must set it into automatically manage paging file size for all drives???

Just choose automatically manage paging file for all drives. If really want to set it try 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have and start it at 2GB. Radenights suggestion is good about putting it on another partition, even better on another drive. I cant see that your page file is eating your HHD space up.

If your really concerned, disable it and use a ReadyBoost pen drive.

Just choose automatically manage paging file for all drives. If really want to set it try 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have and start it at 2GB. Radenights suggestion is good about putting it on another partition, even better on another drive. I cant see that your page file is eating your HHD space up.

If your really concerned, disable it and use a ReadyBoost pen drive.

Thanks for stepping in loathe.. ;) I was trying to make it as clear as I could but I don't think I was getting through..

I agree with Loathe here in that you should just let Windows manage the page file by itself.. If you really would rather set it yourself then set it at 2GB or 2.5GB's (I wouldn't necessarily go with twice the amount of RAM)..

Like I said it really sounds like you have acquired a worm or malware and that is what is eating away at your hard drive.. It could also be something as simple as a download you have going.. That will eat up HDD space.. ;)

If you do all of this and it's still happening then maybe a reinstall would be the solution.. I really hope you get this figured out.. I know how frustrating it is to see a problem happening and not be able to find the solution..

Back