Windows 7 Question about Windows 7 backup

MikeEcho

I am a newbie to Windows 7. I just ran the built-in Backup wizard and it apparently backed up the files I requested, but when I look in the location where it's supposed to be (an external hard drive), I see no backup file of any kind. However, when I go back to Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Backup and Restore/Manage Space/View Backups, I see what is apparently my backup file. I wondered if this was a hidden folder so I went into folder options and selected show hidden folders, but I still don't see my backup folder. Any ideas?

Separate question -- does anyone know if the backup file generated by Windows 7 can be read by a Windows XP machine. If my Windows 7 machine crashes one day, I want to know if I can open my XP machine, plug in my external hard drive, and restore the backup file that the Windows 7 machine had generated. Thanks.

I have always advised that the integrated backup facility is too limited for a serious backup regime. I would strongly recommend you try Acronis True Image. You can get a fully operational trial from here:

Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

You'll consider it worth every penny the first time you need it to overcome problems like bad installs, updates, malware, hard and soft disk failure etc, etc . . .

Back