Windows 7 Question on IP Address

Super Sarge

:confused:I am wondering for my own knowledge, if I go to adapter settings on my LAN could I specify a IP Address of 192.168.0.130 SUB_NET 255.255.255.0 Default gateway of 192.168.0.1 DNS 192.168.0.1
Would cause any problems with my router:confused:

Probably will work fine but;
That address is within the default scope of your router's DHCP address leases.
What you would probably want to do in advance of this is either create a reservation for that address or else
Use the router interface to define the scope of the DHCP addresses that it hands out. Keep the scope overall as small as will satisfy your network requirements. By default that router gives out addresses from 192.168.0.100 thru 192.168.0.199. That is 100 addresses. Not usually needed in smaller environments, so if you restrict this to the number of network nodes requiring DHCP with just a couple extra for visiting laptops you should be ok. It would also help prevent rogue users from using your wireless network without your permission. So keeping this under controll is a good thing.
Alternately you can use an address outside the scope entirely. Like 192.168.0.200 through 192.168.0.254 or on the low side
192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0. 99
Hope this helps

Actually that's about the kind of thing your router would be expecting. (It's called a "Static IP")

I have a bunch of systems on my lan by hardwire (4 total) ALL are using Static IPs, set up just like you describe and they work just fine.

The addressing scheme is pretty simple really...

192. and 10. are generally reserved for LAN use. 192 being pretty much the accepted standard for home networking. 10 being used more in business environments. IPs starting with these numbers are never seen ouside of LAN confines.

The second number 192.168.0.130 is an arbitrary subnet identifier, assigned inside the lan.

The third and last numbers 192.168.0.130 is your machine's identifier. This too is arbitrary but it must be unique to your machine.

The netmask 255.255.255.0 is actually a bit field saying which numbers can be changed. Those with all bits set (255) cannot be changed. It is customary, in home networking, to use the 255.255.255.0 netmask because it's darned unlikely you'll have more than 255 machines on it.

Most home routers (and many business ones) use their own IP address --192.168.0.1 in your case-- for multiple functions. The setup dialogs are usually accessed at that address on port 8080 or 80. The DNS is at this addres on port 53. The NAT gateway is usually there too on port 5351. So your DNS and Gateway should always be your router's setup IP address.

Probably will work fine but;
That address is within the default scope of your router's DHCP address leases.

That shouldn't matter since DHCP actively checks DNS before assigning an IP to a new machine.
A reservation on that address would prevent Sarge from using it.

Hey thanks folks I set my LAN settings to what I originally posted but DNS did noot work, I set DNS to 8.8.8.8 Primary and 8.8.4.4 this worked fine I also tried a DNS of 68.87.72.134 I got this from running CMD IPCONFIG /ALL to see what the DHCP was using for a DNS So to Sum it up I set the LAN IPV4 Address to 192.168.0.130 SUB-NET Mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS primary 8.8.8.8 Secondary 8.8.4.4 and everything works and runs fine.

I also like the new router as it is not only password protected it also randomly generates a 6 letter alpha numeric you must enter along with password beforee you can gain access just a nice roadblock to keep evil doers out

Thanks for your contribution, they are always welcome and as I always say, two heads are often better than one, but as you can see from page 34 of the user's manual for his particular router it suggests doing exactly that. See attachment.

Thanks doing it in the router is quicker I can do all three computers at one time with out going to each computer and and changing the LAN settings I have on my home network along with my wireless printer as it populates everything you need all you have to do is change or leave the IP address that is currently assigned
I thank you for this Information

Thanks for your contribution, they are always welcome and as I always say, two heads are often better than one, but as you can see from page 34 of the user's manual for his particular router it suggests doing exactly that. See attachment.

Correct... Note the grammar... "If you want a computer to always be assigned the same address"... meaning that DHCP will always give the same address to the computer as part of a DHCP request.

However if the computer is using Static IP there is no "be assigned" the computer is saying "This is me" not "Who am I" and DNS can fail to allow it to use the reserved address. (Linksys is bad for this, some D-Links do it to).

Sarge... your DNS should point to the Router's IP address.
The 8.8. address is outside your LAN confine and thus may not be able to allow you access to other machines on your lan for file sharing...

Something to try... set your connection on DHCP ("Get IP Address Automatically") and put your DNS on Automatic as well... Cycle the port and do an IPCONFIG /ALL and see what it says for Gateway and DNS addresses....

It's possible DNS service defaults to off in that router...
Check your Router's manual to be sure...

But from experience, DNS outside the LAN confine is for WAN only access... no file sharing.

I put everything to auto and used the router as was shown in previous post to assign a IP address to each computer and wireless printer on my Home net work, but thanks for the information

Back
Top Bottom