Questions about upgrading from WSE 2016 to 2019

monahanz

Extraordinary Member
I have been using WSE 2016 for a few years now to manage a simple home network of 4 windows 4 PC's with one WSE 2016 server.
It worked fine over the past few years. I mainly use it for movie file storage and client backups. Recently some of the overnight backups stopped. No matter what I did the client appeared as "offline". When I reinstalled the connector it seemed to require a different username than on the client. It was the network computer name \ username. However when I went to login back on the client with that name it came us as a new user (new desktop etc.) a total mess!
Gave up doing backups that way and now use Acronis – way better and much easier to retrieve files etc. from.
Anyway I am thinking now might be a good time to upgrade the software on my server for the above movie and other databases.
Looking over the web I see a wide range of WSE 2019 options/prices.
For example one outfit (fastsoftware.co) has the following
Windows Server 2019 16 cores, same with only 4 cores for less than $40-$50.
While another (Amazon) has Microsoft Server Essentials 2 CPU for $359.
What am I missing. I would expect the pricing to be the other way around.
Also does anybody know if I can install the above 4 or 16 core WS on a clean disk without WSE 2016 on it.
Finally what difference does 16, 4 or 2 cores make.
Thanks in advance
John

I'd be careful where you buy the licenses from. You get a certain level a trust buying from a reputable source such as CDW or Microsoft. When you choose a Server license you want to make sure it says Base Server license otherwise you're probably getting an add-on core license which won't work without the base license. Another big difference between Standard and Essentials are the CALs. Essentials does not require additional CALs for up to 25 users /50 devices. Standard requires you to buy either user CALs or device CALs. If it's an AD driven environment it's better to purchase user CALs (these run about $200 for a 5 user pack). If you're using the server for workgroup devices then it's a better idea to buy device CALs

Thanks for the quick reply Neemoberr.
I think then I will go with WSE Essentials. Is overkill for my setup I'm sure.
I see the following specs:-
License for 2 CPU's and max. 25 users and 50 devices
gcm

Easy-to-use dashboard for simple administration
gcm

Unlimited duration of use
gcm

License will be linked to your devices
gcm

Reactivation as often as you want
gcm

Product Key within seconds
gcm

OEM License
gcm

Direct Download via Microsoft

Two simple minded questions:-
1. I have an old Intel Core 2 Quad CPU in one box. The license says 2 CPU's, am I OK with the Quad CPU.
2. Is the download such that I can one way or another get it onto a DVD/CD so I could do a clean install, Or would I be better off installing the (I assume) .exe file in the current WSE 2016. The reason for the clean install is because of the above client connector name issue.

John

Question 1:
It means you can have two physical CPUs in the server. Essentials doesn't care about core count.

Question 2:
Operating System installs are always in ISO form, so you can either burn it to a disc or just virtually mount it and install

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom