Quickly decreasing hard drive memory

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by kjscott911, Sep 29, 2016.

1. kjscott911

kjscott911 New Member

I have downloaded some movies to a thumb drive the last couple months and notice my hard drive space is decreasing quickly even though the download is going to an exterior flash drive. Is there a temporary memory place somewhere on my hard drive storing this data?
    I want to delete it if so.

2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

in most cases yes... the data gets stored until the system has what it needs to peace it together and (most) torrent downloaders default to the c drive which can be a real pain

3. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

We recommend against downloading Movies through P2P sharing such as uTorrent and Pirate Bay as they are filled now with all kinds of nasty viruses. That being said, it's not a bad idea to direct your download Cache to a 2nd drive and get that off of your C: drive. It's then easier to manage and remove if you want to. And don't forget to scan your flash drives where you are storing those movies with your antivirus and a good antispyware program such as the free MALWAREBYTES.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

4. kjscott911

kjscott911 New Member

Hello BigBearJedi, I'm Jeff. Thank you for the reply to my post. 2 questions - 1) How do I redirect my download cache & is it possible to free up any of that memory that has been eaten by those previous downloads? Thank you in advance.

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Your usually asked where you want to save to, simply change this location from the one you normally using.

It might be, open task manager and look for anything related under processes and remove it.