AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Asus AV8-XE
2gb DDR pc3200
HDD 1- 40gb IDE
HDD 2- 300gb SATA
Memorex 16x DVD ROM Drive
ATI Radeon x1300 pro
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

I noticed that my card falls under legacy software support from ATI. So I browse around on google and in these fourms and I download the vista 64 bit drivers. Install goes all the way through except the driver installation fails. I have tried multiple times upon restart to fix this issue but it remains persistant. I am not having graphical distortions or hiccups during normal use but if I start a game up, the screen will go black for a few seconds, then come back every few minutes. I have also seen a pop up stating that the graphics processor had shutdown:

Your graphical display adapter was shutdown and has now recovered (something like that).

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Well the only thing those drivers had to install were sound related. Made no change to my present issue. Also the resolution was never the issue to begin with, the graphics controller would just reset or crash. Also general graphical performance was sketchy at times. The real issue is that the ATI legacy drivers for vista 64 bit wont' even install; neither will CCC. Updating through windows update has proved fruitless as WU insists that the driver is fully up to date and functioning.

Tried your suggestions, but the display driver is just failing to install. Doesn't even hang befor failling, it just fails instantly. Im about to be building a beast of a new box, hopefully the drivers for the HD4890 work a bit bettter.

Try uninstalling the video driver from Device manger, reboot and give the install another try.

Be sure to create a restore point

Back