Windows 7 RAGE, Crashes during game play for no valid reason!

Snake3010

Hi Guys,

This is really starting to irritate me now. I bought RAGE for my Windows 7 PC, and from the start its played absolutely fine with all graphics settings at max quality, after 2 hours of game play the game now freezes 10 to 15 seconds into game play. Running the game with all settings at low quality and performance favoured makes no difference at all. The game itself freezes, Windows is still functional and I am able to close down the game in task manager without having to reboot. I have several other games installed on my machine including Dead Space 2. Which all work fantastic without a glitch!

I have monitored my CPU, GPU and Memory usage and temperatures when running Rage which all indicate to be normal and stable, I have also run 3Dmark and OCCT to stress test my machine but again no obvious cause found.

Has anyone purchased this game and had similar problems? and what could I do about returning the game for a refund if no solution is found?

Thanks!
Dan

ADDED INFORMATION

I forgot to mention my spec's :rolleyes:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 edition
OCZ 700w StealthXtreme 2 PSU
AsRock 880G Pro3 Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 645 (3.1GHz)
OCZ Flex II 8gb DDR3
ATi Radeon HD 5770

Last edited:
Sadly for a very lot of PC owners RAGE is totally bugged, mainly because they spent too much time pandering to console editions, sure they blaming GPU driver makers too, but basically that doesnt hold much water. I'm amongst the people with issues, and have yet a playable build of the game weeks after launch, to be honest I've seen more stable beta releases.

You will just have to play the waiting game for them to release enough patches to fix this attrocity.

Last edited:
Well It seems to be patched to a working state now mate, but I'm only guessing on behalf of ATI owners as swapped to team green around the time patch 2 came out that was supposed to finally fix the ATI card issues, run sweet as a nut on my GTX580 but the game still sucks due to stupid driving focus, wouldnt be so bad if they actually worked well, but they handle like the golf carts on GTA4.

Last edited:
Just a though on this one, but what about a multi core hack. I remember that Fallout 3 had issues when running the expansion packs on a multi core system. A simple hack to a .ini fixed it. That could be something worth looking into.

Just a though on this one, but what about a multi core hack. I remember that Fallout 3 had issues when running the expansion packs on a multi core system. A simple hack to a .ini fixed it. That could be something worth looking into.

Most of the problems with Fallout 3 and expansions was down to the 2gb memory limit even on systems with far more ram available, not multicore cpus issues, although there is a modded exe to force it to use 4gb system ram if needed, same issue with most of the bethesda titles such as oblivion, skyrim, fallout vegas and as far as I'm aware only Skyrim ever got an official 4gb patched into it.

As for trying to run RAGE on a non multicore however, it's pretty system heavy and as such I can't imagine it working better by messing about with how many cpu cores its using.

Last edited:
I was talking about limiting the number of cores it would use, with the fallout.ini. Adding this code

bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

in the right spot in the fallout.ini stopped mine for crashing ever again. I have changed it back, because I have a backup of the original .ini, always a smart thing to do before messing around with a file. Anyway switching the files brings back the crashing. What about that 2 GB limit. What was that all about? Do you still have a copy of that .exe? I want to try it out and see it it improves my performance.

the fallout 4gb mod is on the fallout nexus modder site, works a treat currently use with all the official expansions and a 6gb texture mod...never crashed yet.

I'm looking for the texture pack, but not having much luck finding it. Though I did find a few others that looked really cool. I have to admit that I am a little worried about modding my Fallout 3. I might not be able to get it back to working condition if I mess something up.

I wouldnt worry too much, mods are normally in their own sub folder or a standard bsa mod format, as for any cock ups, as long as you make a backup of saves you have nothing to loose, steam can fix any issues with corrupted install of game.

4gb mod
4GB Fallout New Vegas at Fallout New Vegas Nexus - New Vegas mods and community

HD texture pack (should have link to 3 HD texture packs scaled to fit various PC specs, high edition being the one I used at about 6-7gb)
NMCs_Texture_Pack_For_New_Vegas at Fallout New Vegas Nexus - New Vegas mods and community

Last edited:
Oh yea, now I remember why I never modded my Fallout in the past. It takes way too many extra downloads. I wouldn't mind if it came with everything I needed, but having to search out other mods and if they need extra, wasn't worth my time. I gave up and started reading books about stuff a little less complicated, like Active Directory and Learning C++ in Traditional Chinese.

ROTFLMAO

Back
Top Bottom