Windows 7 Raid0 in win7? How can I check it

ashwa

running i7 920 with asus gforce295x on an asus p6t deluxe board with 2x1TB samsung hdd and 6gig g.skill ddr3 ram

So I changed the harddisk type in bios to raid, I created 2 partitions in dos via the marvell raid controller program, where i set up both partitions to be raid0

Then I proceeded to install win7 beta, using custom install and selecting drivers from disk. Located the driver for my motherboard automaticly and installed them. Then the installation proceeded as normal.

When I got in to windows I can only see the main partition C:, so I open the disk manager and see the other partition unactivated. rightclicking it i see an option to create a simple disk, and alot of raid options grayed out.. my main disk is running in basic and simple mode.. I have no idea if this is correct and I never used raid before, but I thought it was strange to not be able to create stripping volume or something else raid related.. just the simple option.. so now i have both my partitions in basic, simple mode in the disk manager..

On the games for windows system check I get a 6.0 score on my disks, compared to the 7+ scores i get on the rest of my hardware.. I dont know what to expect there but what I atleast want to know is if my disks is correctly setup and if not what to do or check?

When you go into the disc management system you won't have options for RAID control since it's done through the controller. The volume is already RAID 0 so Windows isn't going to give you any other RAID options, IIRC.

As for the score, I'm not sure why it's getting a low score. The first time I installed 7 on my laptop my HD got a score of 2.0, which I knew was way off. When I installed 7 build 7057 it now shows up properly as a 4.2. It's more likely that the rating system still has issues than there is something wrong with your RAID. If you want to check the performance run something like HD Tune or HD Tach so you can see your disc's performance. Not sure what the 1TB drives get for performance in RAID 0, but my 2 x 250GB Seagates get the following in RAID 0:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

thanks for the answer! but I have now upgraded to build 7057 and now I went from 6.0 to 5.9 in score..

I guess the controller drivers arent good enough yet for win7.. will try hd tach or tune..

after the upgrade my aero score went from 7.9 to 5.9 also.. thats strange

They're probably still tweaking the way it scores is my guess. I wouldn't worry about it until the RTM.

Hello. Please excuse me for "jumping in". I'm trying to decide whether to install a Promise RAID card (FastTrak TX 2300) and was wondering if the performance "boost" is worth the effort. I'll be using RAID0 with two Seagate 500GB drives. Thanks for your time, and patience!

Hello, I got pretty much the same setup as Ashwa, only Im using 2x Raptor 150gb 10k rpm disks in a Raid 0..
My HD tech test seems way less than Carmides.. what am I doing wrong?

Hello!
I didn't want to make new topic about thi so ask in here.
How i Make Raid0 with my 2x 500gb HDD before i install Windows 7?
My board is asus P5Q-Pro and i haven't found any correct answer for it doing with this mobo.
Do i need to run some program during boot. i don't remember does both hdd´s have same cache size. Does it matter if those are different?

Thank you in advance!

Hello!
I didn't want to make new topic about thi so ask in here.
How i Make Raid0 with my 2x 500gb HDD before i install Windows 7?
My board is asus P5Q-Pro and i haven't found any correct answer for it doing with this mobo.
Do i need to run some program during boot. i don't remember does both hdd´s have same cache size. Does it matter if those are different?

Thank you in advance!

If the drive sizes are different, you will lose all the space on the drive that's bigger for the part that is greater than the other(s).

So if you have a 20 GB and a 60 GB, then 40 GB will be lost on the larger drive and be unusable.

You have to have the RAID driver available on floppy, cd, dvd, or usb stick when going to install Windows.

Before that even, you have to set up the RAID using the motherboard bios. Check your manual if you don't know how.

Back