Windows 7 RAM detection Error

Rediew

Hi all.

I have an ASUS N50Vn Series laptop with 4GB RAM + NVidia 9650 GTS 1GB Card.

I just installed Win 7 Ult x64 build 7068 on a new partition in my HD, and now Win x64 only detects 2GB of ram.

I have dual start with Win Vista x86 (which is original install system), and that lousy system detects 3GB of my RAM.

no, RAM is not shared with VRAM.

Any reasons for that? (detecting only 2GB of ram).

Discuss and help

Last edited:
Hi all.

I just installed Win 7 Ult x64 on a new partition in my HD, and now Win x64 only detects 2GB of ram.

I have dual start with Win Vista x86 (which is original install system), and that lousy system detects 3GB of my RAM.

Discuss and help

Win7 64 Bit should see the installed RAM fully. I have a Desktop with PCChips P55G MoBo with Intel Pentium dual core E2160 processor running G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory and Win 7 Bit 64 BUILD 7042 and system shows 4.00 GB RAM.

Try reseating both Rams especially if any was recently installed in your Notebook just in case one module is not fully seated in the socket.

To find another Notebook with identical RAM Spec is difficult but if available, you may swap RAMS and test to see if one is defective.

MEM86+ software (freeware) can check your RAMS but that takes hours............and hours to complete.
Hope one of these suggestions would help you to decide why your X64 is not recognizing the full 4GB RAM.

Check your bios, it may have a limiter that is hindering the full use of your RAM.

Excellent point Kyle.

As M$ says about VISTA : The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:
  • The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:
    • Intel 975X
    • Intel P965
    • Intel 955X on Socket 775
    • Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
  • The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
  • The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.
  • An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.
Hi all.

I just installed Win 7 Ult x64 on a new partition in my HD, and now Win x64 only detects 2GB of ram.

Discuss and help

Please check this site for some info about your lap's RAM:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- RAM & VRAM
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...board_id=3&model=N50Vn&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Last edited:
More info

I have been to the ASUS foruns... but not much help there.

ive left a post over there.

btw, im gonna try out the BIOS messing around.. but before so, id like to share this info with you:

my windows build is 7068. (w7 ultimate).
------------
NVIDIA System Information report created on: 04/06/2009 22:51:34
System name: 2-PATA-2
[Display]
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
DirectX version: 10.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9650M GT
Driver version: 179.14
Stream processors: 32
Core clock: 550 MHz
Shader clock: 1375 MHz
Memory clock: 400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 1791 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 767 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.94.4A.00.13
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x1

Last thought: my computer has capabilities for x64 system, it even comes with x64 drivers CD. (vista)
so ill try to check the BIOS thing.

I have been to the ASUS foruns... but not much help there.

ive left a post over there.

btw, im gonna try out the BIOS messing around.. but before so, id like to share this info with you:

my windows build is 7068. (w7 ultimate).
------------
NVIDIA System Information report created on: 04/06/2009 22:51:34
System name: 2-PATA-2
[Display]
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz (2400 MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
DirectX version: 10.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9650M GT
Driver version: 179.14
Stream processors: 32
Core clock: 550 MHz
Shader clock: 1375 MHz
Memory clock: 400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 128-bit
Total available graphics memory: 1791 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 767 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.94.4A.00.13
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x1

Last thought: my computer has capabilities for x64 system, it even comes with x64 drivers CD. (vista)
so ill try to check the BIOS thing.
According to the Original SPECS of your laptop sold in Newegg.com I noted it had only VISTA 32-Bit NOT VISTA -64 Bit, Right? Therefore the 3GB shown in VISTA is a function of your OS limitation NOT BIOS . Since Win 7 won't interfere the BIOS setup, I doubt if you can manipulate BIOS settings to show the full RAM . I will be following this thread with interest for your observation.

In my Desktop PC I had previously posted, as mentioned, I too have VISTA Ultimate 32 Bit and it, as expected, shows only 3 GB out of 4 GB installed RAM. I don't have VISTA -64 bit to confirm whether it will show 4 GB /4GB [I expect]as seen in my Win 7 Bit 64 Build 7042 and Win 7 64 Bit Build 7057 in the same PC in different partitions [ I don't like Win 7 64 Bit Build 7057 as it has less driver support for most of my devices compared to the earlier build!). I have Win7 Bit 64 Build 7062 DVD and will try to install it in the same desktop in a different HDD partition and test how the RAM is handled and post my findings here to see if that is specific to 7062 Build or a problem with your 7062 Disc!

According to the Original SPECS of your laptop sold in Newegg.com I noted it had only VISTA 32-Bit NOT VISTA -64 Bit, Right? Therefore the 3GB shown in VISTA is a function of your OS limitation NOT BIOS . Since Win 7 won't interfere the BIOS setup, I doubt if you can manipulate BIOS settings to show the full RAM . I will be following this thread with interest for your observation.

In my Desktop PC I had previously posted, as mentioned, I too have VISTA Ultimate 32 Bit and it, as expected, shows only 3 GB out of 4 GB installed RAM. I don't have VISTA -64 bit to confirm whether it will show 4 GB /4GB [I expect]as seen in my Win 7 Bit 64 Build 7042 and Win 7 64 Bit Build 7057 in the same PC in different partitions [ I don't like Win 7 64 Bit Build 7057 as it has less driver support for most of my devices compared to the earlier build!). I have Win7 Bit 64 Build 7062 DVD and will try to install it in the same desktop in a different HDD partition and test how the RAM is handled and post my findings here to see if that is specific to 7062 Build or a problem with your 7062 Disc!

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?
You're quoting builds not available to the general public (and one that didn't even make it out inside Microsoft) and While Windows 7 doesn't interfere with BIOS setup, due to the way his BIOS is set up, Windows Vista and Windows 7 may see the RAM differently.

As this is a forum to help users out with problems, please refrain from posting when you're not 100% sure of the information you're giving, or if you're not sure, please cite references.

OK folks, check this out:

1- CMN, you are right, i bought this laptop on newegg, and i Dualboot it with Vista x86.
1.1 - you are right, Windows cannot mess with BIOS

2- Although very productive, this discussion is useless due to the fact that I checked BIOS, and RAM = 2048MB (2Gig), WTF!!???

having no other choice, i went through the way above post's possibilities, INCLUDING MISPLACEMENT OF RAM STICKS, which has found to be TRUE, god forbid knows why since this is a brand new laptop which was never touched.

After messing around with RAM sticks (stick them out, stick them in), voil'aaaa BIOS RAM = 4096!

and now, im a happy x64 W7 Ultimate user wich can enjoy fully my stack of RAM. :D

Thank you guys so much for the discussion, sorry for all the trouble.

Now, check my new Video report from NVIDIA.

(picture attached)

That means that i have MIN 1GB VRAM(actual vram sticks), which can grow up and eat up from RAM.

how can i restrict VRAM to the 1GB it is meant to be??

OK folks, check this out:

1- CMN, you are right, i bought this laptop on newegg, and i Dualboot it with Vista x86.
1.1 - you are right, Windows cannot mess with BIOS

2- Although very productive, this discussion is useless due to the fact that I checked BIOS, and RAM = 2048MB (2Gig), WTF!!???

having no other choice, i went through the way above post's possibilities, INCLUDING MISPLACEMENT OF RAM STICKS, which has found to be TRUE, god forbid knows why since this is a brand new laptop which was never touched.

After messing around with RAM sticks (stick them out, stick them in), voil'aaaa BIOS RAM = 4096!

and now, im a happy x64 W7 Ultimate user wich can enjoy fully my stack of RAM. :D

Thank you guys so much for the discussion, sorry for all the trouble.

Thank you guys so much for the discussion, sorry for all the trouble.[/QUOTE]

Hi Rediew,

I am glad you could fix the problem by RAM reinsertion and very thankful for coming to my defense by posting your observation. I have no intention to mislead anyone and only want to help. The result of your troubleshoot speaks for that. I hold no ill feelings against any one who criticises me even in harsher tone nor would I spend or waste my time in flaming. I read that as stemming from his desire to help others and keep up the standard of this Forum. I too share that view :).

As you may already know, generally, BIOS can only recognize devices physically in proper contact with the MoBo BUS (properly installed devices) . If it cannot "sense" a vital device[ Ex: No RAM at all in the sockets; No Video Card or faulty insertion of the only Video card] it may produce Error Beeps and stop booting ; if a device is less critical in the booting process BIOS setup would ignore the existence of a faulty but 'nonessential device' [ Example Telephone modem improperly inserted in the PCI slot] in the system and continue to boot. Only problem will be that your OS won't get the resource you thought you have installed in your system (like a missing entry in the Device Manager).

So you rechecked the BIOS Settings after you reclaimed the full installed RAM to varify if the value has changed to 4096 MB? You may also see that during the POST if Quick boot is disabled.

After making sure your drivers are all updated through Windows update, if you install Service Pack 1[KB936330] in your Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, you will see 4GB RAM on the System Information. Check this MSKB article at Link Removed - Invalid URL . [ This increase in RAM will not be displayed on Run> DXDIAG or Run > Winver or in the Task
Manager > Performance tab [ CTRL+ALT+DEL >Task Manager> Performance tab ...> Physical Memory (MB)]

Last edited:
1 - Yes, i checked RAM = 4096MB through BIOS and POST. Windows 7 recognizes it fully.

2 - and no, i cant take out the naggy ASUS screen that appears at POST time (never liked those screens, neglecting vital information).

3 - Interesting that they would publish a way of getting x86 Vista to have use of 4GB ram, i will certainly try that, thx!

1 - Yes, i checked RAM = 4096MB through BIOS and POST. Windows 7 recognizes it fully.

2 - and no, i cant take out the naggy ASUS screen that appears at POST time (never liked those screens, neglecting vital information).

3 - Interesting that they would publish a way of getting x86 Vista to have use of 4GB ram, i will certainly try that, thx!

I have never owned or seen ASUS Laptops. Have you checked to see in BIOS Setup under Boot menu any Boot Settings Configuration.... Full Logo [ ENABLED] that you can change to [Disabled] and >ESC >Save and Exit or F10 > Yes > to Save and Reboot. I hope there is that setting in the BIOS settings you can change:)

yes, i have.. that option does not exist.

i can only remove 'POST custom sound'.... :mad:

Custom POST pictures exists in almost all new mobos and laptops, usually the desktop mobos having the option to take it out. But the notebooks.. varies greatly.

yes, i have.. that option does not exist.

i can only remove 'POST custom sound'.... :mad:

Custom POST pictures exists in almost all new mobos and laptops, usually the desktop mobos having the option to take it out. But the notebooks.. varies greatly.

As the old saying goes 'what we cannot cure we must endure'!

Back