Windows 7 Ram swap safe?

Chris Bradley

Hey there,
Im new here and I just wanted to just ask a quick question to anyone that will hear me out...
Ive currently got 2 systems running..
-Win 7 32bit with 2x2gb DDR2 ram
-Win XP Pro with 2x512mb DDR2 ram

and I currently have a single 1gb DDR2 ram card spare.

as my Win7 system is only utilizing 3 out of 4gb ram,
I was wondering if it would be safe to swap one of the 2gb cards with the 1gb, and install it into the other system?
Would this work, and is it safe?
Thanks

Last edited:
ok just to ask why did you say win7 is only utililizing 3 out of 4gb of ram, it will run all the ram you put in it HOWEVER , the pcwill only show bout 4gb... so put as much ram in lol (if need be use 64 bit to show all ram )

as long as its all DDR2 then it should work, im not massivly knowledgable about RAM however some one can confirm rthis for me too

i always thought its better to keep the same model of RAM i.e kingston all the way through

you also need to check if that particular RAM is compatable with your motherboard

Untitled.png

This is just what is says in system..

And, I have no idea if its compatible, I only know that its all DDR2 :S

to make all 4 gb usuable

go to start

type msconfig

click boot

advanced options

make sure maximum memory is 0 and then unticked

click save
and reoobt your pc

as for the ram, most of the ram is branded one side, the whole face plate of the ram has a logo on it, you really cant miss it

As Far as I'm aware, 32 bit systems are "limited" to the amount of ram they can use, circa 3.25gb. Something to do with x86 Legacy, I think.

But kaos is quite right with his statement about using matched ram. Putting in the 1gb stick with one of your 2gb sticks will possibly cause you no end of problems with your Win7 set up. With 7 it's always best to use matched sets of Ram (Make, Size, Series, Batch etc..) and the way to do that is buy it as a set.

I'd possibly try the 1gb stick in your XP set up with one of the 512mb. And I'm only saying that because I used to throw anything (including the unknown one I found under the wardrobe!) into my XP set up and it never used to complain. Not saying that's a good practice though!

You can often see a similar type of issue in 64 bit systems if you upgrade your ram to above 3.25gb, e.g. 4gb.
If you do it means you need to enable the Memory Remap feature (usually found under the Advanced heading) in your BIOS.

Your real answer would be, at your next re-install, to "upgrade" to 64 bit then all the 4gb will be available.

Last edited:
You can often see a similar type of issue in 64 bit systems if you upgrade your ram to above 3.25gb, e.g. 4gb.
If you do it means you need to enable the Memory Remap feature (usually found under the Advanced heading) in your BIOS.

This shouldn't happen as a 64bit OS can use all the available memory and iirc windows 7 HP can access upto 64GB and Ultimate upto 192GB.
To the OP the 3.25 available doesnt mean your not using all 4GB. The other .75GB is used by devices like the vid card.

Another thing 2x2gb will be faster than 2gb+1gb as the former will be in dual channel mode.

This shouldn't happen as a 64bit OS can use all the available memory and iirc windows 7 HP can access upto 64GB and Ultimate upto 192GB.
As I say "You may see it happen". If it does you need to enable the Memory Remap function in your BIOS.

Google Only 3.25gb ram usable in 64 bit windows 7. It's a common problem after upgrading ram from below the 3.25gb threshold (it happened to me when I upped from 2gb to 4gb).

Last edited:
As I say "You may see it happen". If it does you need to enable the Memory Remap function in your BIOS.

Google Only 3.25gb ram usable in 64 bit windows 7. It's a common problem after upgrading ram from below the 3.25gb threshold (it happened to me when I upped from 2gb to 4gb).

Built many 64bit system and can honestly say I've never witnessed this problem. Good to know about it though. I even checked my BIOS and there's no memory mapping options. I know the setting but haven't seen it in a bios for awhile lol.

check my post above please about what to try what i said in msconfig

you never know ..

I'm going to make a simple suggestion. The system is stable and working fine then leave it alone. Mismatched memory modules only lead to problems. There's a good adage "If it aint broke dont fix it" :)

Last edited:
i 100% agree with nmsuk, your pc works fine, if its slow do a disk defrag and a simple disk clean up and get rid of some unused programs to free some space up, if its slow when windows first comes on then you can remove the amount of programs you have at startup, ( post back if you want to know how )

and if you do , do it, and it goes wrong " if at first you dont succeed!, Get some one else to do it! lol "

Elmer said:
As Far as I'm aware, 32 bit systems are "limited" to the amount of ram they can use, circa 3.25gb. Something to do with x86 Legacy, I think.
Actually, it is physics and simple math.

2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296 or 4G​

However, because of the way Windows maps hardware addresses (especially graphics) only 2.8Gb - 3.6Gb (typically around 3.25Gb) is "available" for the system. And all operating systems have limits to the amount of RAM they can use. But with 64-bit, it is,

2 ^ 64 = 4,611,686,018,427,387,904 or a whole bunch!​

Actually, it is physics and simple math.
2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296 or 4G​

However, because of the way Windows maps hardware addresses (especially graphics) only 2.8Gb - 3.6Gb (typically around 3.25Gb) is "available" for the system. And all operating systems have limits to the amount of RAM they can use. But with 64-bit, it is,
2 ^ 64 = 4,611,686,018,427,387,904 or a whole bunch!​

Methinks. Need to borrow Digerati's calculator!! Mines limited to ten decimal places. Good post Digerati.

Question: Is a "whole bunch" more or less than "you can shake a stick at"? :D :D :D

Last edited:
Need to borrow Digerati's calculator!!
I used the one built into Windows 7. Of course, this is 64-bit Windows 7, so maybe the 32-bit calculator can't count up to 2 to the 64th power! ;)

And there's me moving little wooden balls on an abacus frame. Do computers do sums these days?????? :D :D :D

Back