Windows 8 Random 0x0000001A errors with ntkrnlmp.exe

Nubkakes

Hello!

One of my friends recently built a computer with the same hardware as myself (same part numbers and everything) with the exceptions of; the sound card, the storage device, and the operating system. Well, ever since we assembled it, he has been randomly getting 0x0000001A errors.

Initially he was using windows 10 and was getting these BSOD errors very frequently. I noticed these lines in the crash DMP files while using windbg;
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

I figured he had the wrong drivers installed, so I had him update all the drivers from the hardware manufacturers' website. The crashes still occurred at the same frequency with the same error codes.

So, since he had a license of windows 8 as well, he decided to try using windows 8. Well, the crashing initially disappeared for about a week. He got another 0x0000001A last night which is suspiciously close to the ones he was receiving on windows 10. On top of that he has started to get occasional black screen restarts with no DMP files. I am leaning a bit toward the hardware at this point. Hopefully someone here can help point us in the right direct.

His PC specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
Motherboard: MSI Z170A M3
Memory: CORSAIR LPX 32GB Model CMK32GX4M4A2133C13
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 980 TI Lightning LE
Harddrive: Samsung Pro 512GB

Attachments

• 072516-5281-01.dmp
    404.9 KB · Views: 554
Last edited by a moderator:

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {41201, fffff68000187cb8, 286040021a84c867, ffffe000e4fb39a0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+16f8c )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
bugcheck 1A means an severe memory management issue occured. This is often indicative of faulty RAM. Even brand new RAM can be faulty and you need to run Memtest86 to test.
Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I also checked the bios and it is a little old:
BiosVersion = A.10
BiosReleaseDate = 09/06/2015
SystemManufacturer = MSI
SystemProductName = MS-7978
BaseBoardManufacturer = MSI
BaseBoardProduct = Z170A GAMING M3 (MS-7978)

I think the above version number is actually A.1 and the latest bios stands at A.6. There have been a number of updates for compatibility (memory). If your unsure of the process then get a local pc store to do it for you:
Support For Z170A GAMING M3 | MSI Global | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

It's also possible that this could be a software issue and testing will show either way.

Post any new dump files

Lastly I tidied up your initial post just so the thread is easier to navigate.

Thanks for the tips kemical!

Good catch on the Bios version. I checked and oddly mine is A.00; we ordered our motherboards the same day from the same website(newegg). I think we'll try updating the bios first and see if it makes any difference; If not we'll run memtest and go from there.

Your very welcome and I hope all goes well. Post back with any updates or dump files..

Good catch kemical as the error is mismanaged ram usually meaning ram compatibility but as luck would have it this ram was tested and worked for the board. However that said Corsair has an issue with ram where if you have a different batch even though their model number can be the same, the ram is completely different maker and model as Corsair really manufactures nothing themselves. I know the ram is popular and well thought of but I avoid them myself just for that mentioned reason.

Good catch kemical as the error is mismanaged ram usually meaning ram compatibility but as luck would have it this ram was tested and worked for the board.
Thanks and yes Bugcheck 1A is usually a red flag but whether it was down to either bad ram or bios incompatibility (or neither) has yet to be determined as we are still waiting on results from the op.

Well we flashed his bios to the newest one available and he has had no restarts/BSODs or any other anomalies within about a day.

When he first got that BSOD(DMP in the OP) a week after he installed W8.1 he had begun to get several unexplained program crashes and random black screen restarts. These would happen when he was doing anything or nothing at all. They were occurring anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes by the time we decided to flash the BIOS.

The fact that it has been flawless for a day is nice, but a similar problem with windows 10 went away for about a week after installing W8.1 and then it effectively returned. I will be keeping a close eye on this for a couple weeks or so. I'll keep this thread updated with any changes...

Thanks for the update. Hope all goes well but if not then please post back.

Well the end of day 2 after updating the bios didn't end on a promising note. Upon powering on the computer he got another BSOD before he saw his desktop. Details below and I will attach the DMP file.

i

Attachments

• 072716-5078-01.dmp
    404.4 KB · Views: 473
Code:

BugCheck C000021A, {ffffc000908a6aa0, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::OKHAJAOM::`string'+269a )

Hi,
this bugcheck can often by caused by third party application. I see you installed the MSI Afterburner? If so this app is well known for causing bsod's and I'd remove it and see if the bsod's stop.

Aaaaaaand here we go again! When he started a game of Homeworld he got another 0x1A followed by numerous black screen restarts upon opening most games. Log below and DMP attached. Day 3 is off to a wonderful start I see.

Attachments

• 072816-5046-01.dmp
    404.7 KB · Views: 499
Code:

BugCheck 1A, {41793, fffff68000308ff8, 200, 1ff}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+1699f )

Hi,
did you try removing MSI afterburner? I see it's still installed..

Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Strange, MSI Afterburner isnt listed programs/features list nor is it in the program list. Perhaps we'll have to manually remove it.

Update; we manage to get 2 memtest passes in before he needed to use his computer for other things; there were no failures.
Since he is leaving for a trip this weekend he plans to let it run overnight and throughout Saturday to get as many passes as possible in.

In the meantime he did get another one today. DMP attached.

Attachments

• 072916-4968-01.dmp
    404.7 KB · Views: 491
Code:

BugCheck 1A, {41201, fffff680002768f8, 8ec04002da697867, ffffe000ca750520}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+16f8c )

Update; we manage to get 2 memtest passes in before he needed to use his computer for other things
Nice but ideally you need to run for longer although I see there are plans to do this.

If the memory passes then try running the driver verifier although first create a recovery disk/usb as the verifier sometimes cause a boot loop. You'll need the recovery disk/usb to boot into recovery, safe mode and then turn the verifier off.
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Post any resulting dump files

Oh and yes MSI Afterburner still looks installed.

Last edited:
Okay, update here.

Memtest 86 ran over the weekend, we got 13 passses with no errors but a warning that the RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips.

Moving on, I walked my friend through how to run driver verifier and it triggered a nice amount of BSODs very quickly. Thankfully we were able to disable it without needing safemode. I won't bother posting text dumps since there are so many, but I have attached all of the dmp files generated.

It looks like 4/5 of them point to bwcW8x64.sys and a single one points too nvlddmkm.sys

Attachments

• 080316-9781-01.dmp
    404.7 KB · Views: 492
  • 080316-10843-01.dmp
    404.4 KB · Views: 494
  • 080316-10578-01.dmp
    404.8 KB · Views: 514
  • 080316-14656-01.dmp
    404.8 KB · Views: 501
  • 080316-15156-01.dmp
    404.8 KB · Views: 526