Windows 7 Random BSOD when exitting game or shutting down PC

Hideki

Hi, Iam having random BSOD for months now. I just downloaded a blue screen view to see what is causing the BSOD's but i don't have any idea what i was looking for. All i can see is ntoskrnl.exe and win32k.sys is causing it. BSOD occurs frequently when i exit Games or sometimes even when i click the shutdown button. I included 2 dump files here, I hope someone can help me with this.
Specs:
Win 7 64 bit
Gigabyte B85M D3H
Gskill ripjaws x 8GB
Gigabyte r9-270x windforce
Western digital blue

Attachments

• 090514-13010-01.dmp
    275.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 090714-13431-01.dmp
    275.2 KB · Views: 312
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff960000c4283, fffff88007ff6020, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!HmgLockEx+a3 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi
both dump files show the same bugcheck and this can be caused by either old or corrupt drivers/data or a hardware fault (possibly RAM).
Code:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
This tells me that your missing a vital Service pack which contains many critical updates. Please download and install SP1 from the link here (you will have to burn the file to disk):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5842
Any issues installing the service pack may mean you need the update readiness tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3132

I also noticed evidence of possible corruption within the os. Please find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it, choose properties then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Run a chkdsk too:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

AppleCharger.sys Mon Oct 28 01:59:21 2013: GIGABYTE On/Off Charge driver. May cause BSOD on Win7/8 systems - uninstall to test

Rt64win7.sys Thu Oct 25 10:20:09 2012: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Oct 29 10:18:58 2013: Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver please update:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=8&PFid=14&Level=3&Conn=2

sptd.sys Sat Aug 18 22:05:38 2012: SCSI Pass Through Direct Host - Daemon Tools (known BSOD issues with Win7) uninstall to test.

post any new dump files

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I will follow all your suggestions, I will post an update once done.

It is possible that you have a RAM fault but let's wait until you update the above before going down that route. I'll await your next reply.

Hi kemical, I was about to download the SP1 but when i got to the link there is a bunch of files and i don't know which to download or i just need to check the ISO file and proceed to download? Can i use third party program (daemontools,poweriso) to install that one or i should just burn it to disc?. I included an image.

By the way,
1. no integerity issue after i finished sfc /scannow.
2. Where can i unisntall gigabyte on/off charger? I can't find it in my installed programs, or does this mean that i do not have this?

My rig is somehow new, I just bought this last June 2014. Is it possible that I already have a Bad RAM? Because since then I am getting this BSOD occasionally, 15 dump files since June this year. Oh well, I still need to finish all the other steps

Attachments

• bsod.jpg
    bsod.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Hey,
The only problem is that Daemon tools is well known for causing issues itself so really your better off using a disk. As for the on/off driver try doing a search for AppleCharger.sys and then changing the name to AppleCharger.old to break it (if it won't be removed that is.)
As for bad RAM, yes, it's entirely possible to purchase RAM with faults but let's see how you get on before we start testing RAM.

Hi.
Here are the list of things that I was able to accomplish:

1. Installed win7 Sp1
2. run sfc /scannow - found no problem
3. perform a chkdsk - found no problem
4. Updated Ethernet driver
5. Updated Audio driver
6 Renamed AppleCharger.sys to AppleCharger.old

I think what's left now is to observe if problem is gone. I will post again if problem persist. Big thanks!

It's been a month now and the BSOD is gone even on occations where it normally occurs. So i guess I don't have any hardware issues?

Hi,
yup sounds good and thanks for updating your thread as this always helps. Good luck and any problems please don't hesitate to pop back.

Back