Windows 7 Random charactors as language

Rainscape

Ok, I found a Visual Basic v6.0 install hidden in my cd's, I know it's most likely now compatible with Windows 7, but I went ahead and installed it, to find out I was missing some files, I then downloaded a fix that finds missing areas on my system, I ran the program, with it not fixing anything, so I left my computer running over night, and today I restarted my computer. Now my text looks like this: Link Removed due to 404 Error any help would be grateful

Does it just seem to be your icon font or does the problem extend to other font properties as well. When you open notepad or wordpad and type does everything look ok there?
If it's just your icon font you can change that easily by
right click desktop and choose personalize
select the icon that says Window Color, second from left on the bottom if you can't read it.
then click Advanced appearance settings
select Icon from the drop down menu and then
Segoe UI
and size 9
that's the windows 7 default icon font.
See if that helps

Either one of those should at least give you something you can read. Try system, if no joy try the other. Something has gone wrong with your installed fonts evidently. Not sure if even a system restore will help, but you might give it a try since the problem was a result of a recent event you might try a restore point just prior to the VB6 install.

You may also want to try running the system file checker
Start, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt and choose run as administrator
then type
sfc /scannow

I still think something has either corrupted your entire font folder or at the very least the default Windows 7 font (Segoe UI), when you go here C:\Windows\Fonts what do you have, how many fonts and particularly what does the Segoe UI font look like? You can double click any font to better see what it actually looks like.
Did you run the system file checker? What was the results
Did you consider and or perform a system restore to a restore point prior to the problem first ocurrring? What was the result.

I decided to do a reformat, but I did do the system checker, it found no problems, and I did try to do a system restore on all the restores I had, and it couldn't be completed. I would like to maybe keep this thread alive for others if this happens to others? Or maybe the makers of Windows 7 or the Windows OS could find the problem and maybe fix it automatically in Repair Windows that pops up when you boot up on the Windows 7 disk.

Back
Top Bottom