Windows 7 random reboots, freezes, and hard drive sometimes doesn't detect

ping

Hi everyone,

I just did a clean restore on my PC because I thought the issue was a virus or something. After a clean install of Windows 7, I'm still getting the following errors (which I had before my restore as well):
- computer wouldn't start up, stuck at motherboard logo screen or "starting windows" screen.
- bios would be on and off on detecting my hard drive, (and therefore would not start up windows)
- if I actually do make it to the desktop, I would have random reboots in a wide range of time (1hr - 5hrs). It would also freeze by even the slightest work (opening firefox, word, itunes)

I'm assuming it's a hardware issue, but I don't know what it is. The CPU runs low and doesn't go over 45C. The computer is only a little less than 2 years old.

Here are the computer specs.
Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
Foxconn P45A-S Mobo
Antec 650W PSU
G.Skill 4gb ddr 800 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 512mb
WD 500gb sata hard drive
Windows 7

Any help please?

Hi.

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder. Zip the files. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

It's not a hardware issue. We should be able to sort it.

In the meantime, download, install and run Malwarebytes. Update its definitions. Then scan the machine with it and let it remove everything it finds.

My computer is more prone to not detecting the hard drive at the moment. I finally got in but there is no minidump folder. Malwarebytes was scanning and then the computer froze up so I'm trying to reboot it again and restart the scan.

Btw I'm posting from my Mac.

Use Killdisk to low level format the hard drive. When done, install Windows and enjoy.

I was wondering how long the process takes for just a 1 pass zero format. It's going doing like 4% per hour and seems like it's never gonna finish.

I never needed or used that particular software.

Although, it all depends on the type of wipe you set it for and also the size/speed of the HDD. Even if it takes a whole day, it's much better than dealing with leftover persistent malware. When it's complete. you can also have a clear mind about the HDD.

So I finally got back to the computer, but it couldn't finish it's format at 99%. It gave me the error, "Error (the handle is invalid) refreshing device Hard Disk 1."

Here's the log:
2010-08-16 14:17:09 Active @ KILLDISK for Windows build 5.2.3 started
Target: Local Disk (E: ) 465.7 GB
Located on WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0
Erase method: One Pass Zeros (1 pass) Passes: 1
Bad (unwritable) sectors detected from 213682852 to 976771071 on Hard Drive 1.
Error (the handle is invalid) refreshing device Hard Disk 1.
Error (the handle is invalid) reading sector 0 on 81h.
2010-08-17 11:33:05 Total Number of erased device(s): 0, partition(s): 0

Last edited:
Not knowing the software, I still would feel comfortable enough to say that it is probably correct when pointing out bad sectors. The software is highly recommended amongst the IT community.

Because of that and your previous issue, I too feel comfortable enough to say that I believe you should replace the hard drive with a new one.

Spinrite can be run on the drive to allow it to continue to function to a decent degree. That is really not worth it though as you will have problems in the future.

Recommendation: Replace the drive. Install Windows.

Back