Windows 7 Rather random BSOD's

chok

Hi guys.

Ok, so I've had this computer for something like two weeks now. Put it together myself and the set up is as follows:

Asus P5KPL SE
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 1333MHz
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) Gold XTC DDR2 PC2-8500, 1066MHz
Gigabyte Radeon HD4850 512MB
500GB Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 SATA-II

Samsung SH-S223B 22X DVD±RW DL SATA
Spire Cardreader SP322CB
Ace Gears 4 500W

I installed Windows 7 (RTM) and it seemed to work like a charm. A week later (or something like that) I had a BSOD. After reboot, Windows suggested I do a System Recovery, but when I said yes it failed to complete. However, I booted normally and everything seemed to be fine. A couple of days later I had another one and the same story when I rebooted. That time I decided to do a System Recovery, went back one version and crossed fingers. It worked.

One day later BSOD. Now I try to figure out the cause of the problem so I grab the tool "Who Crashed" to analyze dmp-files. Today I got another BSOD and so here are the reports of these last two dmp-files (via Who Crashed):

----- ----- -----

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Tue 2009-09-15 07:45:33 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]rdyboost.sys[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xCBDA0DC, 0x2, 0x0, 0x8C411673)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rdyboost.sys
product: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft® Windows® Operating System[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft Corporation[/FONT]
description: ReadyBoost Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]
[/FONT]
(Between these tests I realized I had connected my front panel USBs in the wrong way and corrected that)

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Wed 2009-09-16 18:12:39 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]netio.sys[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x458DDC4D, 0x9EC6FA64, 0x0)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netio.sys
description: Network I/O Subsystem
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified.
[/FONT]

----- ----- -----

So what am I doing when this happens?
One time I was surfing the web and then BAM. The second time I was booting and just when I saw the windows logo BAM. The third time computer was in sleep mode and when I woke it up BAM.

I have been researching like crazy but I can't seem to figure out the reason. I checked my drivers and none seem too old. Also I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and my RAM passed.

It's quite hard to test this due to the fact that these BSODs feel quite random. Sometimes everything works like a clockwork and then all of a sudden BAM.

All ideas are most welcome. Thank you.

Nice build, there, chok.
Have you had a chance to go to Intel's site and update the chipset drivers? despite the fact that your drivers aren't 'too old', 7 is a really new OS (in fact, technically hasn't been released, yet), meaning drivers are still being worked on. Intel is usually pretty good about fixing problems with their drivers, so you may want to give their newest ones a shot.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

This is definitely an odd problem.. ;) I'm going to start by asking the obvious.. Have you tried doing a System Restore to a state prior to when the BSOD's started happening?

It sounds like a driver problem to me.. I know you said you've checked the drivers already but there could be one or more that are clashing and causing the problem.. You said none of them are old.. Unfortunately that could actually be the problem.. Perhaps one (or more) of the drivers are too new.. I know it sounds weird but stranger things have happened.. ;) Are all the drivers you've installed Windows 7 specific drivers or the most recent Windows Vista drivers? Did you manually install the drivers for things like your Motherboard/GPU? Or did you let Windows Updates install the drivers it found?

If you let Windows Updates install your drivers then that's most likely the problem.. Although convenient, Windows Updates doesn't always pick the "best" drivers..

Also, was this a Clean install or an Upgrade install? Which version of the Windows 7 RTM are you using (32-bit or 64-bit)?

I also noticed you said your using the Windows 7 RTM.. Did you obtain this through Microsoft directly? If you got it from a torrent then that could be the problem too. It could be loaded with Malware and or Trojans/Viruses/Spyware, etc.

If you could answer these questions it will give us a better idea of what exactly is going on and hopefully point us in the right direction for a solution. :)

Nice build, there, chok.
Have you had a chance to go to Intel's site and update the chipset drivers? despite the fact that your drivers aren't 'too old', 7 is a really new OS (in fact, technically hasn't been released, yet), meaning drivers are still being worked on. Intel is usually pretty good about fixing problems with their drivers, so you may want to give their newest ones a shot.
I checked in upon their site and for my processor they have no drivers other than for Linux.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

1) This is definitely an odd problem.. ;) I'm going to start by asking the obvious.. Have you tried doing a System Restore to a state prior to when the BSOD's started happening?

2) It sounds like a driver problem to me.. I know you said you've checked the drivers already but there could be one or more that are clashing and causing the problem.. You said none of them are old.. Unfortunately that could actually be the problem.. Perhaps one (or more) of the drivers are too new.. I know it sounds weird but stranger things have happened.. ;) Are all the drivers you've installed Windows 7 specific drivers or the most recent Windows Vista drivers? Did you manually install the drivers for things like your Motherboard/GPU? Or did you let Windows Updates install the drivers it found?

If you let Windows Updates install your drivers then that's most likely the problem.. Although convenient, Windows Updates doesn't always pick the "best" drivers..

3) Also, was this a Clean install or an Upgrade install? Which version of the Windows 7 RTM are you using (32-bit or 64-bit)?

I also noticed you said your using the Windows 7 RTM.. Did you obtain this through Microsoft directly? If you got it from a torrent then that could be the problem too. It could be loaded with Malware and or Trojans/Viruses/Spyware, etc.

If you could answer these questions it will give us a better idea of what exactly is going on and hopefully point us in the right direction for a solution. :)

1) Actually I have not. That will be my next move.

2)
That might be. I remember installing at least one driver via windows update. Other than that I haven't updated any drivers. Hopefully doing a System Restore to the point furthest back in time will remove this driver and I'll see if that solves anything.

3)
Clean install. 32-bit. Torrent, but it positively works as I am also running it on another setup.

I'll do the System Restore and get back to you guys. Thanks.

For your crash on Tuesday that was caused or involved rdyboost.sys, the Readyboost service can be disbaled in 'Services' without any problems. You don't need it anyway with 4GB of RAM.

The netio.sys crash is likely caused by an interaction with a software firewall. I remember having similar BSODs in the distant past with Outpost and Kerio IIRC.

Hope this helps! :)

For your crash on Tuesday that was caused or involved rdyboost.sys, the Readyboost service can be disbaled in 'Services' without any problems. You don't need it anyway with 4GB of RAM.

The netio.sys crash is likely caused by an interaction with a software firewall. I remember having similar BSODs in the distant past with Outpost and Kerio IIRC.

Hope this helps! :)
I believe I still could benefit from ReadyBoost so I'd like to be able to use this service. Of course, if impossible I'll just skip it. However, about the software firewall I'm using "Avast!" as anti-virus software.

I think you may be misunderstanding a couple of things; the chipset drivers arent the same as processor drivers. you have a g31 northbridge, ich7 southbridge, so you may want to find the correct drivers for that. I checked Asus' website, they had no P5KPL-SE board, but I searched for just P5KPL, and found a board with the same chipsets. Those should suffice, and are listed for 7.
Avast has no firewall functionality, and, while it's an awesome av, I would like to make sure you understand there is no Firewall in it.

Yes, I was absolutely misunderstanding. Now I understand.

I checked ASUS website and found P5KPL SE, downloaded drivers:
* Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software
* Release: Production Version
* Version: 9.1.1.1014
* Target Chipset#: Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
It was for Windows 7 RC but I figured it will be ok for RTM too? Readme file told me to check registry to see if install was successful and it was. However, I was wondering if the chipsets can be found in "Right click Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager". Are they (under System Devices) the following?
* Intel(R) G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset PCI Express Root Port - 29C1
* Intel(R) G33/G31/P35/P31 Express Chipset Processor to I/O Controller - 29C0
Because properties for these still say an older version of 2006.

PS. I did not do a System Recovery since I'm writing over drivers. If driver solutions fail I'll do a S.Recovery

PS2. Thank you bens for noting that about avast! I was actually quite unsure about it myself.

[EDIT]
New bsod upon startup. Different this time.

[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]On Thu 2009-09-17 21:05:37 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]ntkrnlpa.exe[/FONT]
Bugcheck code: 0x1 (0x82AB870E, 0x0, 0xFFFF0000, 0x0)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]APC_INDEX_MISMATCH[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
[/FONT]

Darn.

Tomorrow I'll go through all my hardware components and install the latest windows 7 compatible ones.

Random question, this can not be because of some hardware related connection issue? That I've done something wrong in my build? I've checked through it all but you know you never know..

Last edited:
Back