Windows 10 Random BSODs- no obvious cause

TomFoster

I am looking for some help. I keep having random BSODs with no real warning- they can occur at any time and there doesn't appear to be any particular trigger.
I have a few .dmp files and have tried to look through them but don't really seem to have gotten anywhere... I've tried updating drivers, uninstalling unneeded programs, etc. but it still is happening.

There's been no changes in hardware recently.
I've ran memtest before overnight and it hasn't shown anything. I've scanned the hard disks for errors, ran CCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and none of this has helped.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of this!

Tom

Link to .dmp files if anyone is smart enough to work it out!:
Shared items 5-25-2017

Can you zip and upload load the dump(s) here. I can't get to one drive from my current location.

Sure, have attached them below! If any more appear I'll attach them too! Thanks for replying so quickly!

Edit: Also, I know I'm stupid and have uploaded in the wrong subforum! :(

Attachments

• BSODs.zip
    541 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Check that you have a page file, if you do remove it, run a chkdsk /f /r then re-create your page file. All the dmp are pointing at a memory problem. This can be the backing system too (page file). A lot of the errors seem to be occurring at a page fault which is when data needs to be moved into memory from either the page file or straight from disk.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {ffff999b13b2a290, 0, fffff802a82bb69d, 2}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RealSuccessor+11 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
Bugcheck 50 as well as 1A can be memory related and some dump files do point to it being hardware although software can easily be just much to blame.
Basically either the driver or data or the memory it's being written to is corrupted.
Bugcheck 50 can also be caused by Anti-Virus suites. I couldn't see if you were running anything other than Defender (apart from Malwarebytes) but if you are please remove and just use Defender and Malwarebytes.
You do have a lot of old drivers stemming from 2011 and in fact driver support for your motherboard stops at Windows 8.1:
P5Q-E | Motherboards | ASUS Global

See if you can at least update the chipset drivers

AsIO.sys Mon Apr 6 08:21:08 2009: Asus PCProbe Utility please update or remove.

ADIHdAud.sys Thu May 21 09:21:06 2009: SoundMAX Digital HD Audio Driver
Mixed-signal and digital signal processing ICs | Analog Devices This driver was originally released for Windows 7. I'm not sure there is an available update..

mv61xx.sys Wed Feb 9 09:28:49 2011: Marvell Thor Windows Driver
mv61xxmm.sys Wed Feb 9 09:28:40 2011: Marvell 61xx RAID controller
http://www.marvell.com/support/downloads/search.do

tapoas.sys Mon Jul 12 01:31:59 2010: OpenVPN Virtual Network Driver
http://openvpn.net/

yk63x64.sys Wed Jan 9 15:46:56 2013: NDIS6.30 Miniport Driver for Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller

If you get really stuck updating the drivers let us know and we'll help.

Do Not use any type of driver finding application as they invariably get it wrong.

File scans- See if they clear up any corruption.
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If the bsod continues after the above changes then first create a Windows 10 Recovery disk/USB.

Run the driver verifier which will stress each program on start up to see if it will blue screen. If it does then a dump file is created (usually Bugcheck C4) with the culprits name attached.
This process can also induce the pc to 'boot-loop' which is where the Recovery stick comes in. You can boot from the Recovery stick, enter safe mode and turn the verifier off.

Here's a handy guide:
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

Post any new dump files.

Thanks Neemobeer- I've removed the page file, done the chkdsk and then put it back in place. No crashes since doing this yet! They're so unpredictable however which is kind of a problem in working out what the cause is!
Chkdsk didn't find anything untoward by the way.

Code:

BugCheck 50, {ffff999b13b2a290, 0, fffff802a82bb69d, 2}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RealSuccessor+11 )

Hi,
Bugcheck 50 as well as 1A can be memory related and some dump files do point to it being hardware although software can easily be just much to blame.
Basically either the driver or data or the memory it's being written to is corrupted.
Bugcheck 50 can also be caused by Anti-Virus suites. I couldn't see if you were running anything other than Defender (apart from Malwarebytes) but if you are please remove and just use Defender and Malwarebytes.
You do have a lot of old drivers stemming from 2011 and in fact driver support for your motherboard stops at Windows 8.1:

See if you can at least update the chipset drivers

AsIO.sys Mon Apr 6 08:21:08 2009: Asus PCProbe Utility please update or remove.

ADIHdAud.sys Thu May 21 09:21:06 2009: SoundMAX Digital HD Audio Driver
Mixed-signal and digital signal processing ICs | Analog Devices This driver was originally released for Windows 7. I'm not sure there is an available update..

mv61xx.sys Wed Feb 9 09:28:49 2011: Marvell Thor Windows Driver
mv61xxmm.sys Wed Feb 9 09:28:40 2011: Marvell 61xx RAID controller

tapoas.sys Mon Jul 12 01:31:59 2010: OpenVPN Virtual Network Driver
http://openvpn.net/

yk63x64.sys Wed Jan 9 15:46:56 2013: NDIS6.30 Miniport Driver for Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller

If you get really stuck updating the drivers let us know and we'll help.

Do Not use any type of driver finding application as they invariably get it wrong.

File scans- See if they clear up any corruption.
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If the bsod continues after the above changes then first create a Windows 10 Recovery disk/USB.

Run the driver verifier which will stress each program on start up to see if it will blue screen. If it does then a dump file is created (usually Bugcheck C4) with the culprits name attached.
This process can also induce the pc to 'boot-loop' which is where the Recovery stick comes in. You can boot from the Recovery stick, enter safe mode and turn the verifier off.

Here's a handy guide:
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

Post any new dump files.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've made some headway in getting through your suggestions:
- I've installed the newest chipset drivers for my motherboard (which are obviously outdated).
- I've removed the Soundmax digital HD audio driver- will see how it goes without it and sound still works.
- I've removed tapoas.sys as think I can get by without that one.
- I think I'd removed asio.sys a while back actually, should have already been removed by the later BSODs actually.
- Couldn't find newer Marvell drivers on their website so not made any progress with that one.

I'm currently doing the sfc /scannow. I'm not sure it will help as have done it at least twice already but worth a go I suppose, especially after making some changes with drivers, etc. Had another BSOD this a.m. but it was just after I had turned the PC on and before I managed to do any of the changes above. I've uploaded it below in case it helps. This one was a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with dxgmms2.sys mentioned.

I'll keep you up to date and thanks again for the help so far!

Tom

Edit: sfc /scannow didn't find any problems- doing the dism scan now.

Attachments

• 052817-43578-01.dmp
    380.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck D1, {56, 2, 1, fffff80336b9a34c}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup:     memory_corruption
Hi,
I had a look through the dump file and the crash looks like it stemmed from the gpu driver. Particularly DirectX Graphics MMS:
Code:
FAULTING_IP:
dxgmms2!VidSchiScheduleCommandToRun+25c
fffff803`36b9a34c 0000            add     byte ptr [rax],al

Try removing your current driver using the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller as this will also remove any corruption which may have built up from previous installs.
You'll need to boot into safe mode to use it correctly and once back in windows install the latest whql driver for your card.

Hope all goes well.

Try removing your current driver using the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller as this will also remove any corruption which may have built up from previous installs.
You'll need to boot into safe mode to use it correctly and once back in windows install the latest whql driver for your card.

Hope all goes well.

I've just done this this morning so will see how things go! I have updated the graphics drivers several times since this has been happening but haven't ever gone into safe mode to wipe them before doing it so that's a possibility I guess! I will post any more .dmp files if they come up. Thanks for the help!

Still getting lots and don't know why! :(

I don't know if it's related but I assume it is but prior to each BSOD, there is a predictable series of events on Event Viewer:

"Critical 6/14/2017 1:44:28 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
-- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Information 6/14/2017 1:44:28 PM FilterManager 6 None
-- File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎16T03:28:33.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Information 6/14/2017 1:44:27 PM FilterManager 6 None
--File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎16T03:22:39.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Information 6/14/2017 1:44:22 PM Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs) 98 None
--Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume3) is healthy. No action is needed.

Information 6/14/2017 1:44:16 PM FilterManager 6 None
File System Filter 'WdFilter' (10.0, ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎16T03:25:21.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

File System Filter 'Wof' (10.0, ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎06T04:45:24.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

File System Filter 'FileInfo' (10.0, ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎16T03:26:05.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager."

Attachments

• More BSODs.zip
    703.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Thank you Tom. I have the symbols and am currently looking through your dump files. I'll check these new ones too. Once again apologies about how long this is taking as my normal system is sitting there all dark. Still not sure if it's chip or motherboard but anyway enough about me. I'll post back shortly.

Thank you Tom. I have the symbols and am currently looking through your dump files. I'll check these new ones too. Once again apologies about how long this is taking as my normal system is sitting there all dark. Still not sure if it's chip or motherboard but anyway enough about me. I'll post back shortly.

Thanks very much! :)
Also having problems with my laptop so I know how you feel! I tend to use my laptop more than the desktop that is causing the problems. My laptop SSD seems to have decided to give up the ghost.
It shows in BIOS (some of the time!) but doesn't show as a boot option and not in other tools like diskpart and not visible in Linux.
I'm guessing it's dead and it's not easy to replace (not easily accessible)- guess I'll be sending it in for repair! :mad: Least it's still under warranty for the next 6 weeks!

Code:

BugCheck 50, {ffff949d9e85c208, 0, fffff800bf67ef2a, 2}

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe ( nt_wrong_symbols!593278B1818000 )

Hi,
similar dump files once again of Bugcheck 50 and 1A.

Sometimes it can take many hours of running memtest86 to find a culprit. Another way is to run the system on one stick at a time. If the system doesn't blue screen after say 24hrs swap sticks and repeat. Sometimes you'll find one will blue screen and the other won't.

Do you have a copy of windows 8.1 or Windows 7? If so i'd consider running one as a test. See if the blue screen goes.

Did your issues start round the time of the creators update? This update has caused issues for a number of folk and again it might be worth rolling the update back:
How to rollback & uninstall Windows 10 Creators Update

Ah just saw you replied- not updated to Creators Update yet actually as I didn't want to introduce another potential source of problems! From what I remembered it used to BSOD on Win 7 too, I flashed the BIOS and it seemed to fix things. I've tried that again this time but no luck.
What I think I might do is re-install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a different drive (I have a spare SSD)...new windows and new drive. If that doesn't work I'll try memtest again and see if it gets anywhere! I think when I ran it previously it was going for 40 hours or something similar!
I do have a copy of Windows 7 around if I need it too!

A couple of BSODs with Driver Verifier on...if that helps! :) They don't look particularly different to me though!

Attachments

• 062517-41250-01.dmp
    519.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 062517-64796-01.dmp
    401.9 KB · Views: 277
What I think I might do is re-install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a different drive (I have a spare SSD)...new windows and new drive.

Nice idea Tom.

Your latest dumps were similar to the last. Don't forget about what i said regarding about on one stick of RAM as well as trying different slots too.

Can you also post what security apps your running because I keep seeing Windows Microsoft essentials in the driver stack.
Thanks.

Back