Windows 7 RC out?

RobMinor

I'm seeing on other sources that the Release Candidate is actually released on MS Download today -- anyone else hear this or try getting it?

any differences between this one and the one that leaked ?

Well, I certainly do hope not! :) Took me quite a while tuning everything to my liking ;)

Please, please, let the file be identical! (fingers crossed) :)

Pete

Well, I certainly do hope not! :) Took me quite a while tuning everything to my liking ;)

Please, please, let the file be identical! (fingers crossed) :)

Pete

Sorry to say there seems to be a change :
The beta version of XP Mode will be bundled with the release candidate of Windows 7 due to be released to developers this week, before going public on May 5.

Sorry to say there seems to be a change :
The beta version of XP Mode will be bundled with the release candidate of Windows 7 due to be released to developers this week, before going public on May 5.

Wasn't "XP Mode" supposed to be a separate download? I wouldn't be surprised if the RC DVD was exactly the same as the image that leaked plus the XP Mode installer.

Anyway, we don't seem to have the right sources here... The RC was apparently released to the TechNet subscribers today yet there is no concrete info... :(

I am seeing it on both Technet and MSDN - but in all versions the downloads are greyed out, presumeably because I don't have a paid subscription :(

I think it's worth downloading if your a Technet subscriber.. ;) Why not? I mean for one thing your guaranteeing that you get an OS with absolutely NO Malware, NO Viruses, NO Trojans... etc. :) Secondly if you've paid the fee (which is large), then it's nice not to worry about missing out once it's released publicly.. you know your able to get the ISO problem free, and that it will work EXACTLY as it was intended to (paired with the proper hardware of course ;) )... There may (and will be) bugs, but you'll know there bugs and not malware/viruses right from the start..

As for the price of the Technet subscriptions, yes they are high (higher than the OS) but I feel it's well worth it... :)

"The RC was apparently released to the TechNet subscribers today yet there is no concrete info... "

What concrete information are you waiting for? I have downloaded it and am now using it. Technet and Partners would have received this in their Email, which take them to the direct download.

"Dear xxx,
Subscriber No. xxxxxxx

As a TechNet Plus subscriber, you have the advantage of being among the first in the world with access to Windows 7 RC.
Download your copy of Windows 7 RC and start evaluating today!
Also available, Windows Virtual PC Beta with Windows XP Mode Beta which enables you to run many of your Windows XP productivity applications from your Windows 7 desktop."

"any differences between this one and the one that leaked ? "

Nothing significant so far. I am busy installing all my software, so have not examined the whole package yet. But as Radenight and others suggest, you do have the staisfaction of a clean and legal copy.

"does technet not require a fee, that is even more than the price of the os"

They certainly do. But you may be overlooking the fact that this entitles you to free downloads of just about all of Microsofts products, with valid keys.

Hopefully I will be back later today with anything new on the official RC.

What concrete information are you waiting for? I have downloaded it and am now using it.

Good to hear from someone who actually has the official copy!

For starters, would you mind telling us the filenames and exact sizes (in bytes) of the x86 and x64 image downloads? Or even preferably, would you mind providing MD5 sums? (I'm more interested in the x64 one)

Also, what about the XP Mode? Is it included in the image? Or has it been offered as a separate download alongside the images?

Thanks!

Good to hear from someone who actually has the official copy!

For starters, would you mind telling us the filenames and exact sizes (in bytes) of the x86 and x64 image downloads? Or even preferably, would you mind providing MD5 sums? (I'm more interested in the x64 one)

Also, what about the XP Mode? Is it included in the image? Or has it been offered as a separate download alongside the images?

Thanks!

Yes does the XP Mode come pre-installed - or is it an optional download ?

I can actually answer this one myself :) This Microsoft TechNet page
Link Removed - Invalid URL
shows all the official Windows 7 RC downloads including their SHA-1 and CRC hashes (after clicking on Details). As you can see from the following screenshot, the SHA-1 and CRC hashes of the leaked RC versions,
7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRC1CULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD.iso

are the same:

Win7RC_sums.png

Therefore, it is safe to assume that the official Windows 7 RC images are identical to the leaked ones.

Yes does the XP Mode come pre-installed - or is it an optional download ?

Seems obvious from the above - the "XP Mode" is not included in the images, and neither is it currently offered as a separate download. Anybody knows any more details about it please?

Hey, in the picture above, it looks as if he is checking the hash from the properties box of the file. I do not see that in my tabs. Do i need to turn it on or is that a software program I will need to install. I would like to have that feature!

Thanks guys

Edit- Sorry, I see the name of the program now on the picture! duh me :(

Last edited:
7100 rc

I just upgraded from Vista SP1 and it went very smooth. All my programs are working fine. It took about an hour, but all is well here. I will keep everyone updated.

Back